Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Another friend of mine is now playing hide and seek with Immi because he was working here before his work permit (applied for by his employer) was finalized.

As my friend was working in pretty inaccessible places up a mountain he felt fairly safe from unexpected official intrusions.

Surprise, surprise one day a while ago the men in tight shirts came up the mountain looking just for him. So all the plans for working in Bali legally are now finished and he can look for another island/job/existence.

When I Googled his name and Bali (Joe Blow Bali) I got 54,000 hits in .4 seconds and guess what - that's what Immi are doing too. It aint rocket science boys and girls.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Soon people will learn ! .

How many hits you get smoke....for me still none. Folks what do I have to do to get recognized by google? They think I'm a nobody but I play badminton, pingpong and occasional tennis...:icon_wink:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
How many hits you get smoke....for me still none. Folks what do I have to do to get recognized by google? They think I'm a nobody but I play badminton, pingpong and occasional tennis...:icon_wink:
[MENTION=11670]davita[/MENTION] only About 434,000 results (0.53 seconds) and 3 are mine rest are either someone from the UK or some contractor in the top 4 pages.
how hits was yours (and I not care about your badmiton or ping pong games either ) :icon_wink:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
[MENTION=11670]davita[/MENTION] only About 434,000 results (0.53 seconds) and 3 are mine rest are either someone from the UK or some contractor in the top 4 pages.
how hits was yours (and I not care about your badmiton or ping pong games either ) :icon_wink:

So smoke...I take it you personally get mentioned three times while I'm not even mentioned once....I'm jealous...what have you been up to to gain so much notoriety?

davita

Mar 13, 2012

So smoke...I take it you personally get mentioned three times while I'm not even mentioned once....I'm jealous...what have you been up to to gain so much notoriety?

edit: Duplicate ...or double post. Another problem with the forum since maintenance yesterday....anybody else having problems?
The program said automatically that 2 posts cannot be made within 30 secs...but I did not submit 2 posts.

Last edited:

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur

a linkedin, flickr and FB account that have not been used in about 4 years !:icon_e_surprised::icon_e_surprised:

Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Try telling the arrogant and ignorant d!ckheids on FB 'Expat Bali' that the MITS check FB/Twitter/Linked-in and prepare to be accused of being a frantic 'scaremonger' looking for monsters under the bed.

Bad news girls and boys, the monsters are not under the bed but arriving at your place of 'non-work' asking to see your docs as you serve in a shop, mix cocktails or spin records.

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
I've never used my real name, birth-date, high school anywhere on the interwebs. Farcebook, here or no-wheres.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Welcome to the 21st century folks, an astonishing amount can also be found out from your GPS connection on your smartphone so we are becoming "see-through".

Even those of us that suppose we have nothing to hide may be surprised when the "to hide" goalposts get moved as they seem to be doing here in Indo (a lot) lately.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Currently there is a storyline on CNN about the new Samsung smart TV where you can voice-activate the TV. Problem is everything you say can be stored in its data and...available to hackers. Samsung's answer is the feature can be turned OFF....but what if it's too late?
link...How To Stop Your Smart TV From Eavesdropping On You

My salesman friend in Vancouver did most of his transactions on his cell, from his boat, while fishing. His Company provided the phone but he refused to bring it, and used his own, as he was convinced they traced him on GPS.

That info, and Markit's OP, reminds of George Orwell and 1984....Orwell was wrong......but maybe just the date:icon_e_surprised:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Heids up Boyos! There is something far more efficient than any GPS or tracking system, just ask Uncle Joe, when he used to wander from what was perceived as the marital path, whenever he strayed, his wife Alia could find him anywhere.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Log in to your Google account and then look up your "Google History". There are options to delete items, stop Google tracking you, etc.
You'll probably be surprised at how much history Google has on you.
Of course, there is no guarantee that by "deleting" or "pausing" Google stuff, Google has stopped doing that.
Still - better than nothing, I suppose.

:icon_idea:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
It's not just Samsung smart TVs.
Any device that can be voice-activated is the same.
They all work by using radio waves (just like your hand phone, wi-fi connection, key that unlocks your car, etc).

Orwell wasn't wrong at all. Just decades before his time and before personal computers and the internet were invented.
Constant surveillance is already ubiquitous these days. What are we going to do about it?

:icon_eek:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Log in to your Google account and then look up your "Google History". There are options to delete items, stop Google tracking you, etc.
You'll probably be surprised at how much history Google has on you.
Of course, there is no guarantee that by "deleting" or "pausing" Google stuff, Google has stopped doing that.
Still - better than nothing, I suppose.

:icon_idea:
Good advise and frankly I don't care what Immi has on me or google for that matter but there are those among us that do or should.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Orwell wasn't wrong at all. Just decades before his time and before personal computers and the internet were invented.
Constant surveillance is already ubiquitous these days. What are we going to do about it?:icon_eek:

Well, for one, I'm enjoying a beer and paying attention to George Orwell, who's just gone to take a whizzz.....

Sorry...my bad.....too many Bintangs...

He just affirmed his name is George but he works on an Oil Well...:black_eyed:

Last edited: