DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Hi Everyone, just thought I'd pass on this tip for anyone that was interested.

This Apotek in Denpasar is known for being very cheap and I can confirm that the medication I'm taking was about 20% cheaper than the price that's actually written on the side of the box.

It's right next door to Tiara Dewata in Denpasar, on the opposite side of the road from all those florists.

Apotek Adhi Guna 2
Jalan Mayjen Sutoyo 45, Denpasar
Telp. 0361 238241

Here's the Google Maps directions from the front of Pasar Badung. http://goo.gl/maps/hnrk1

PROS:
Very busy, so it's unlikely their stock sits on the shelves very long.
Seem to have a large range, but I can't really say for sure.
Cheap!

CONS:
They don't speak English. Get an Indonesian speaker to go with you.
Car parking is difficult, but there is a parking guy who'll help you.

Happy Apoteking!

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
... I can confirm that the medication I'm taking was about 20% cheaper than the price that's actually written on the side of the box....

The price written on the side of the box, or on the strip of aluminium containing usually 10 pills, is written like this example:

HET Rp.16250

HET = HARGA ECERAN TERTINGGI = Highest Retail Price, as set by the Ministry of Health. Nearly all chemist shops sell their drugs at a price somewhat below the HET price. Any chemist who tried to sell at or above the HET would find himself short of customers!

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Thank Alex, I thought that price was just a Recommended Retail Price. That's interesting, for medications like Ibuprofen or simple antibiotics I've always paid the exact HET price, but for the medication that I use I've always been charged about 20% above the HET. Hmmm...maybe they saw me coming.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Thank Alex, I thought that price was just a Recommended Retail Price. That's interesting, for medications like Ibuprofen or simple antibiotics I've always paid the exact HET price, but for the medication that I use I've always been charged about 20% above the HET. Hmmm...maybe they saw me coming.

Don't let it worry you mate, they've seen us all coming and going, and doubtlessly will see us coming again (myself included). Thats just part of the "rich bule" myth going around. In no time at all you will have them down to only 10% above HET. And when you bargain hard they'll just call you "bule pelit" (cheap charlie). :beaten::beaten:

:topsy_turvy:

alex margou

Jul 20, 2013
If you want to avoid this kind of thing then get your medicine at any branch of KIMIA FARMA. There all the prices are on the computer, like in a supermarket, so the price is fixed.

But they are not the cheapest in town.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Thanks Joji and Alex.

Just to make this thread clear. I was previously paying about 20% more than the HET price but now at Apotek Adhi Guna 2 I'm paying about 20% less. Sorry, I should have said this in my previous post.