Change of Scenery.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Maybe we all are too cooped-up in this Forum and becoming too personal in our take of everyone's word and that includes myself.
So here are some images of Milan today as I spent a day with hubby walking and going on trams around the city since morning until afternoon just to enjoy the lazy and hazy days of summer.

The summertime in Milan.

July 4, 2008.

2636563888_00cfb615c3.jpg

Oh, by the way --- above is "LA SCALA"

2636562024_6fb66357b6.jpg

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Sorry to hear that the weather on your end is not so good.
Yes, it was sunny and the temperature was just right as it was breezy and cooler than the past few days earlier which was humid and sticky. Today looks the same as yesterday.

It's been an unusual summer as we've been having an alternate rain of hails versus sunny and high humidity so yesterday was the typical summer day which we like very much where hubby and I just went to have our brioche and cappucino for late breakfast then lunch on top floor of this department store overlooking the Duomo Cathedral.

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Nice pics!

Hey Milan/Chilli, I'm interested in finding some inexpensive land in the south.. Ideally in Sicily.. Would love it if it was an old olive grove or something, but it doesn't need to be big, something with a nice little old 3 bedroom stone house on it.. As a foreigner its very difficult to find something down there without feeling you're getting screwed by some 'in-the-middle' (typically English) broker.. Any suggestions on how to go about finding a place? The property industry there is quite fragmented and very regionalized it seems, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ct

milan

Mar 20, 2008
OMG, Balilife. The description you want in a house in Sicily is exactly how the country house of my husband in Sicily is. BUT... it's sold!!! His sister decided to sell it a few years ago.
There's even a vineyard! Olive trees, raspberry and blackberry plants around it.
I used to get a little bit sick of the driving across the hills and valleys in between to go to the seaside on this rocky edge of the sea, especially in the nights as there were no street lights around that it made me dizzy everytime we went home from there. From that coastline, we could go to its town called: Cefalu. I know you'd love it!
A pity!

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
:( you're very cruel milan!

No really, it sounds like exactly the type of place that I'd love.. Oh well, if you have any ideas about how I might be able to find something similar, please let me know :)

Ct

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Nggak ngerti maksutnya.. Bert ada client di italy yang mau jual tanahnya disana?

Ct

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Mimpimanis, can you speak and write Indonesian?

Aduh...mau berbahasa Indonesia, ya? Bert dan Balilife?
Dibawah adalah jawabannya.
Maksud is written with d. Spelling wise, Bert excells... :)

Bert, it hasn't crossed my mind but now that you mentioned. The idea tantalises me to do this.

But seriously, if you need any assistance on procuring something from Italy, whatever it is, balilife, if I can do it, i'd be glad to. Also something for your wife, given that I live right in one of the fashion centres of the world. There are things that are worth to get from here direct but not all things. For example: the wife of my nephew asked to get a genuine Louis Vuitton bag from here as in Jakarta the price is way too exorbitant. Well, after calculations on shipment, time, etc., it's not worth it. So, we dropped it.
And as for real estate, once you go through an agent, the costs just skyrocketed.
Next to my place is a very simple and nothing of significance apartment for sale . Through an agent is E 350.000. The owner told me she only asked for E 320.000. You can do the math.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Milan, my Indonesian is not "studied" but what I have picked up from every day life and is Bahasa Pasar. I spend all day with indonesians speaking only indonesian and get by fine but reading and writing is a different matter, especially the likes of a newspaper that uses the correct grammar.

One of the problems I have is that people dont like to correct me so I may be saying somthing for years.... before I find out it is wrong..... and infact in one example my husband has now copied me and says it the "wrong way" lol!

Also if we go outside the realms of daily life..... I get lost. So a conversation about somthing, which we have never discussed before with lots of new & unfamiliar words can really throw me. However I do ask and try to find out what the word is.
One example today when trying to find a road was "tembus" which I still have no idea what it means..... but we did find our way

milan

Mar 20, 2008
One of the problems I have is that people dont like to correct me so I may be saying somthing for years.... before I find out it is wrong..... and infact in one example my husband has now copied me and says it the "wrong way" lol!

That's because they know already what you mean and not wanting to be rude to correct you. Completely the opposite of Italy. They correct you at times, brusquely, pretending not to know what exactly you mean when one can just use his/her common sense.

Tembus is penetrating, absorbing.
But in the situation you were in today if they say: jalan tembus it means shortcut.

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Ooo,lala, Bert! If you want it to consider poetic, okay, la?!
It's a shortcut way/road, ok?

BaliLife

Mar 27, 2007
Hi all,

Well all I know is before I die, who knows when that could be, I need a place in sicily..

Mimpi, actually I've considered some of the beachfront lots available in Lombok, they are very cheap you're right and there is 'potential' with the new airport, but I have land in Bali, and to be honest, Bali & Lombok, just too close geographically to feel like it was a different place.. What am I going to leave bali for a week long holiday to lombok? :p for some, they see a huge difference - to me Indonesia, while different from place to place, isn't really that different..

Ct

milan

Mar 20, 2008
Another English agent which as I understand is what Balilife is trying to avoid. Not that with an Italian agent, the price would be cheaper.
A pity, really, because my husband's family did own a house/property in Sicily until just a few years ago. It's a part of a much bigger estate and his family inherited around 5 hectares of land out of it that has the vineyard, olive trees (in fact his sister used to do the vendemia every year to bring some bottles back to Milan) - black berry trees. I learned how not to stain whilst picking the fruits off, etc.
The house itself is not a big one. Its size more or less around 250 square meters.
Anyway, tant pis!!