Can we buy a luxury bamboo house in Bali?

harryopal

May 5, 2016
While there is no likelihood of my buying or having one of these amazing creations built I thought of driving up to the area just to look but it seems there is no ready accessible public area other than signing up for a half day tour at 290,000 Rph per adult. My curiosity doesn't extend that far so confined to images on the website. But were I filthy rich then these seem much more attractive than conventional buildings. While my luxury villa is being constructed I might sign up for the next Blue Origin or Virgin Galactic space trip... whichever has the next flight.

Reactions: Shadrach

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Interesting? I wonder what the price point is on these AND what they will look like after 5-10yrs of weather wear /tear etc?
They are beautiful but the best way to see what they will look like in 5/10 is to ask the builder to see his previous projects. Of course if he doesn't have any then steer clear. In my experience building with bamboo isn't like bricks and mortar which you can forget for 10/15 years after you've built it. Bamboo needs some care and attention, not much, but still. You need to school your staff and be aware that if they find saw dust on the floor anywhere to mention it and not just clean it away. Means there's termites at work. That needn't be a problem if you've made sure the bamboo was correctly treated before the build, which most reputable suppliers are doing now and continue to treat any outbreaks with Agenda termite killer.
Basically bamboo/alang-alang houses need to be built away from overhanging trees to allow them to dry thoroughly after the many rains we get here. Otherwise they start to rot.
On the plus side you don't need to worry about earthquakes killing you or high prices of building or building permission if you don't construct a permanent foundation.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Of the 4 buildings I've put up 1 1/2 were mostly bamboo. Nothing like Ibuku but I still have plans.

Do you find no creepy-crawlies in your brick or concrete houses? The other 2 1/2 house sure have there share.

Baboo is far cheeper to build with than cement. Last time I bought treated 12m posts they were IDR 80k each but that was 10 years ago and they are still in perfect shape.
Very lucky for to have it lasted that long. I didn't know that was possible. They must use some really strong stuff to achieve this longevity. I would be afraid to touch that stuff without gloves. And to live in it might be bad for your health. Modern building materials are also full of some nasty poisonous crap to! Please tell us Markit what do you think about the safety of this material. I think it's great and much more plentiful building material. If it's safe to use, I am all for using it.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Very lucky for to have it lasted that long. I didn't know that was possible. They must use some really strong stuff to achieve this longevity. I would be afraid to touch that stuff without gloves. And to live in it might be bad for your health. Modern building materials are also full of some nasty poisonous crap to! Please tell us Markit what do you think about the safety of this material. I think it's great and much more plentiful building material. If it's safe to use, I am all for using it.
Nothing dangerous about it! As a matter of fact Ronald Regan was one of it's strongest backers - remember the old tv show "Death Valley"? The front man was old Ronny Raygun himself for 20 Mule Team Borax. Well not the soap but the way bamboo is preserved is to knock out the intervening walls in the stem it is then cooked in a borax solution for 4 hours then dried. No bugs will touch it then.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Not an involved (let alone interested) party regards bamboo houses or (Government) Health & Safety ... but alive and motivated to stay that way.

The powerful chemical you refer to is a fusion of Borax (see 20mule cleaning powder) and Boric acid (see slime) which are boiled together to create something like DOT - Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate (Borate). This is the active ingredient.

Not apparent in Markit's description if my memory serves, in the West, this is mixed with a glycol (nasty stuff ... see antifreeze or Austrian wine) either ethelyne or propylene to aid diffusion into the wood.

Dilute 50:50 water and soak.

For poor insects this stuff is a WMD and words like insect-(gen)ecide apply. It inhibits an enzyme necessary for digestion and is spread throughout the hive via grooming rituals - the result being the hive starves to death whilst gorging themselves. Takes a while mind.

Notably the EU have banned the use of Borax compounds whereas much of the rest of the World continues to use it including the good ol' US of A.

In summary, this is bad stuff - if you eat it, smear it onto your skin and/or eyes or feed it to your kids or pets - so don't do those things ! [Section 3.3]

That said, its widely used in makeup and even medicines ..... See

https://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/consumer_safety/docs/sccs_o_027.pdf

There's a chap in Bali offering a natural alternative based on Neem oil - name escapes me at the moment - seems to have reported good results but I have not used it.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The stuff I'm on about is simply borax mixed with water and the stems are then simmered in it for 4/6 hours. Nothing here lasts forever but the thus treated bamboo I've employed in my construction endeavors has stood the test of time (now 10 years) uneaten. Having said that I placed some "normal" (untreated) bamboo walls next to those and they are also still in good shape. I put that down to watchfulness and readily available anti termite Agenda (Bayer) application on finding sawdust piles
Fact is nothing lasts long in the tropics unless you look after it be it concrete and steel or grass stems (bamboo) but bamboo is considerably better looking and cheaper.

jackwilliam1

Sep 20, 2023
Buying a luxury bamboo house in Bali is an exciting idea, but it comes with some important considerations:

• Ownership Regulations: Foreigners can't own land in Bali, but they can explore long-term leases or legal structures like nominee arrangements.
  • Location Matters: Research the area you're interested in, considering factors like proximity to the beach, amenities, and community vibes.
  • Budget Planning: Determine your budget, including additional costs like taxes, legal fees, and maintenance.
  • Choose the Right Builder: Bali has skilled bamboo architects and builders. Check their portfolios and visit completed projects.
  • Sustainability: Ensure the property aligns with your eco-friendly goals.
  • Infrastructure: Check for road access, electricity, water supply, and internet connectivity.
  • Market Trends: Consider how market trends and tourism may impact your investment.
  • Due Diligence: Engage professionals for inspections and legal checks.
  • Ownership Intent: Decide if it's for vacation, rental, or permanent residence.

In summary, research thoroughly and consult experts to make an informed decision when buying a luxury bamboo house in Bali.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Buying a luxury bamboo house in Bali is an exciting idea, but it comes with some important considerations:

• Ownership Regulations: Foreigners can't own land in Bali, but they can explore long-term leases or legal structures like nominee arrangements.
  • Location Matters: Research the area you're interested in, considering factors like proximity to the beach, amenities, and community vibes.
  • Budget Planning: Determine your budget, including additional costs like taxes, legal fees, and maintenance.
  • Choose the Right Builder: Bali has skilled bamboo architects and builders. Check their portfolios and visit completed projects.
  • Sustainability: Ensure the property aligns with your eco-friendly goals.
  • Infrastructure: Check for road access, electricity, water supply, and internet connectivity.
  • Market Trends: Consider how market trends and tourism may impact your investment.
  • Due Diligence: Engage professionals for inspections and legal checks.
  • Ownership Intent: Decide if it's for vacation, rental, or permanent residence.

In summary, research thoroughly and consult experts to make an informed decision when buying a luxury bamboo house in Bali.
You forgot one - Teach your grandma how to suck eggs.

Point is mate you come along and want to teach a bunch of crusty old fecks that have mostly built a couple of homes here already how to do it?

I'll use your bullit points next time I want to teach a first year class, ta.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
bamboo house.jpg
If anyone was asking this would be my idea of the perfect house to put on a piece of rented land that wouldn't need building permission because it's not a permanent structure, is cheap and comfortable.

Reactions: sakumabali