Can we buy a luxury bamboo house in Bali?

tedbryan45

Aug 13, 2021
Can we buy a luxury bamboo house in Bali? How much does it cost to buy a bamboo house? I want to hear your ideas...

bambu house.jpg

Last edited:

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
Luxury is a relative term. One mans luxury is another mans slum. I think you will have to quantify what you mean by luxury. Is it swimming pools, 5 bathrooms, air conditioning or is it just a roof over your head with a comfy bed. I think you might give yourself a few price parameters as well as you can get anything your heart desires if you have limitless funds. Take a look on line and see what’s in the market and where it is and how much you’ll need to budget for to get what you want.
Good hunting.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Don't pay any attention to the fools above - of course you can buy a luxury bamboo house. They are the future and a perfect fit to the foreign buyer who can't or won't buy a bricks and mortar house - if the house isn't permanent you don't need a costly building permit AND whe you 20 year lease is over you can walk away or build a new one. Check out https://ibuku.com/

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Don't pay any attention to the fools above - of course you can buy a luxury bamboo house. They are the future and a perfect fit to the foreign buyer who can't or won't buy a bricks and mortar house - if the house isn't permanent you don't need a costly building permit AND whe you 20 year lease is over you can walk away or build a new one. Check out https://ibuku.com/
I'm in no position to buy or build anything but found the link for bamboo structures really intriguing. How does it measure up in costs against the more standard villa or luxury house? The structures would seem to offer great opportunities for creepy crawlies and accumulation of dust. While noting the reference to treatment for durability I wonder how long a structure lasts? The spectacular designs here would seem to put a bamboo villa into the Bill Gates category of costing but what about basic simple structures. All very interesting. Interesting enough to make it worth a visit even with no prospect of building.

And what about you Markit? Have you been drawn into bamboo construction?

Reactions: tel522 and Balifrog

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm in no position to buy or build anything but found the link for bamboo structures really intriguing. How does it measure up in costs against the more standard villa or luxury house? The structures would seem to offer great opportunities for creepy crawlies and accumulation of dust. While noting the reference to treatment for durability I wonder how long a structure lasts? The spectacular designs here would seem to put a bamboo villa into the Bill Gates category of costing but what about basic simple structures. All very interesting. Interesting enough to make it worth a visit even with no prospect of building.

And what about you Markit? Have you been drawn into bamboo construction?
Of the 4 buildings I've put up 1 1/2 were mostly bamboo. Nothing like Ibuku but I still have plans.

Do you find no creepy-crawlies in your brick or concrete houses? The other 2 1/2 house sure have there share.

Baboo is far cheeper to build with than cement. Last time I bought treated 12m posts they were IDR 80k each but that was 10 years ago and they are still in perfect shape.

Reactions: Padangbai Dennis

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
This is what is called an oxymoron?

Bamboo and luxury dont seem to go together IMO. Maybe bamboo and cheap would be a better term
Juggler, I wonder if you have ever seen or visit the green school village, don't you think that is luxury for you? they are amazing and terrible expensive I think, and it seems they are durable! Bamboo is getting very popular day by day since the green school has been open, these days there is more and more constructions from bambu, hotels, resorts, villas, restaurants, pondok, simple houses...........

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Juggler, I wonder if you have ever seen or visit the green school village, don't you think that is luxury for you? they are amazing and terrible expensive I think, and it seems they are durable! Bamboo is getting very popular day by day since the green school has been open, these days there is more and more constructions from bambu, hotels, resorts, villas, restaurants, pondok, simple houses...........
Always lovely to hear from you Begonia. I hope life and the home are going well in Ubud still?

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
The only benefit I can see to having a bamboo house is earthquake resistance. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is it would make a decent rental property for weird yoga types on holiday that want to stay in something unique.

As a full-time house though? looks like an expensive headache in my opinion.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The only benefit I can see to having a bamboo house is earthquake resistance. Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is it would make a decent rental property for weird yoga types on holiday that want to stay in something unique.

As a full-time house though? looks like an expensive headache in my opinion.
There are 6 sides to your normal house; roof, floor and 4 walls, agreed? Well it didn't take me long living in Bali, on a rice field, in a coconut orchard, near the ocean to realise you actually only NEED 2, roof and floor and that the other 4 are really discretionary. Bamboo offers a very economical flexibility to those options that no other building material does. And it could not be more ecological!

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
There are 6 sides to your normal house; roof, floor and 4 walls, agreed? Well it didn't take me long living in Bali, on a rice field, in a coconut orchard, near the ocean to realise you actually only NEED 2, roof and floor and that the other 4 are really discretionary. Bamboo offers a very economical flexibility to those options that no other building material does. And it could not be more ecological!

"Unlike other timber varieties like teak, bamboo doesn't posses toxic deposits that can help against biodegradation, therefore the natural durability of untreated bamboo poles is low. For most species less than 2 years, and 4-7 years under ideal conditions (without exposure to sun and rain). The preservation of bamboo poles is therefore essential to extend its service life.

The large amounts of starch present in bamboo makes it highly attractive to mold and fungi, termites and powder-post beetles.
They cause much damage during drying, storage, and subsequent use. Bamboos also have minor amounts of waxes, resins and tannins, but none of these have enough toxicity to improve its natural durability.

Because of its low natural durability, bamboo poles should be treated against potential insect contamination immediately after harvest. One of the most used and effective preservation techniques is to impregnate bamboo fibers with a mixture of borax or boric acid minerals.

Once all natural sugars in the bamboo fibers are replaced with salts, they become immune to insects. Treated bamboo poles have a service life of 50 years or more, assuming that they are kept from direct contact with sun, rain or soil.

Additional maintenance and care is required by the end user when using bamboo poles for outdoor applications."

Now what about that doesn't sound like a headache to you Markit?

Give me a floor, a roof, 4 walls and plenty of full seal windows and doors ANYDAY over some bamboo tarzan house.

Reactions: tel522

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Split and bottom 4 oil/metal drums, weld together to make a 14 meter trough. Fill with water and borax ( of the 20 mule team, Ronald Reagan fame) and then cook your bamboo lengths for about 6 hours then dry. They will last AT LEAST 20 years and probably more, if sheltered. Can you say the same about yourself Jack?

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Split and bottom 4 oil/metal drums, weld together to make a 14 meter trough. Fill with water and borax ( of the 20 mule team, Ronald Reagan fame) and then cook your bamboo lengths for about 6 hours then dry. They will last AT LEAST 20 years and probably more, if sheltered. Can you say the same about yourself Jack?

Hell, you've got me beat there mate. I've got AT MOST 10 years left in me and that's if sheltered.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Well that sure as hell sounds better than the double date I have planned for tonight. Sign me up!
If you're going on double dates at your age (presumed) do you just need extra help with your zimmer frame or does one carry your colostomy bag and the other your defibrillator?

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
If you're going on double dates at your age (presumed) do you just need extra help with your zimmer frame or does one carry your colostomy bag and the other your defibrillator?

Saying is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But what if he has perfected his old "summer of love" year '67 moves? Age is just a number!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Saying is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But what if he has perfected his old "summer of love" year '67 moves? Age is just a number!
Age is just a number? Sure! A number of back aches, knees thrown out, stiff in the wrong places and not in the right...

I could go on but that too is a sign of old age - whinging old fat bald guy that I am...

Reactions: sakumabali

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Age is just a number? Sure! A number of back aches, knees thrown out, stiff in the wrong places and not in the right...

I could go on but that too is a sign of old age - whinging old fat bald guy that I am...

Your not bald?
Or is the avatar not really you ?
I am shocked that someone would , heaven forbid, lie on the internet.

Cheers
Another WOFBG
Ken

Reactions: Markit