Calling all animal lovers

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
A very sad day today for our household. We had to put down one of our dogs - blood parasites. Making the euthanasia decision on his behalf was one of the hardest things I've done. Yeah - we know he was "only a dog", but we loved him. No big deal in the scheme of things. But it's amazing how much he affected us.

On that note, I'd just like to bring the following up-coming function to animal lovers' attention.

The BALI DOG ADOPTION REHABILITATION CENTER (BARC) is having a Fund-raising event on Friday, 16th May, 2008.

Raffles, prizes, an Art auction and dinner are included in the asking price of Rp 350,000.
The venue will be:

XL Vision Villas, (formally Tarabunga Hotel)
Jalan Pantai Masceti,
Desa Medahan,
Gianyar

I know it's not the easiest location to find but there will be free transport from Ubud...which doesn't help those who live elsewhere.
For more information, try these numbers:

Linda: 0818 550947
Yani:0361 868058
Kemal: 08123 673596

BARC is a registered non-profit organisation.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

:wink:

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Hi Sanurian

I'm sorry to hear you had to have your dog put to sleep. Having been there myself often in the past, I know what it is like.

I can't make the fundraiser on 16th, but maybe if they have another one.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Hi Phil,

Commiserations amigo, good dogs are well and truly family members (sometimes better :shock: ) and deeply missed when they're gone. I certainly know the only thing I miss from moving from my parents house in the big smoke is our pet toy poodle Monty :p . Sadly, he's on his last legs too the poor little bugger.

On a positive note, does this mean that your footwear is now safe at the front of your house???? :lol:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Thank you, mimpimanis and Adam for your kind words. Much appreciated.
And yes, Adam...I guess visitors' shoes will be safe from now on :D
Although that doesn't give me much joy.
I wonder if I'll still keep putting shoes on top of cupboards automatically?

BARC does have a website. However, it badly needs up-dating since there are broken or non-functioning links, it's currently not very informative and a bunch of other things. I will try to help BARC improve matters as soon as I have time.

8)

mileage

Mar 13, 2007
Perth, West Oz
Mate, :(
We're thinking of you...
Losing a family member, human or canine is devastating. I have 3 hounds, my partner Vee treats them like children. I dread the day it happens here. No such thing as "only a dog" in this household, in fact I'm 4th in line some days......

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Sanurian,

I'm sorry about your loss. I know from experience that it was not "only a dog," but he was your friend and companion.

SG

Apr 17, 2007
Sanur, Bali
Sorry to hear that Phil. We have two dogs, a playful dachshund and a lovely, very loyal, Bali dog, both of whom we are pretty close to. So much so that we have trouble getting in our bed sometimes!

And yes, we are going to the fundraiser.

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Hi Sanurian,

I am also sorry to hear about your loss.. My dog is my child so i can imagine.
If i make it to come live in Bali i would love to offer my help etc for the dogs.

I hope the fund raising was successful, regards, Chilli

abemoon

Apr 19, 2008
Lennox Head NSW Australia
hi sanurian
i've just joined the forum and am sorry to hear about your beloved pet. so hard to do when there part of your family. is that a common disease as i've never heard of blood parasites and am concerned for when i eventually build and move my dog an 11yr old golden retriever over. i had to put my other dog down last year who was 17yrs old can you believe that, he was one of the family and it was one of the hardest things i've had to do.
i hope to move towards the end of the year to start my house and will be over there next week for a month to sort out final quotes.
certainly is interesting reading the topics on this site very informative and people seem really helpful.
cheers keryn

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Hi everyone,

Keryn, We are planning to move to Bali with our 5 yr old golden retriever.
I too have never heard of blood parasites before and would like to know more.

17yrs old,,,, wow.. i hope mine lives that long..
regards, Chilli

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Thank you all for your kind words.

I noticed that some of you have never heard of "blood parasites" in dogs. I am no expert in this matter either. When I asked the vets here about how a dog gets blood parasites, the answer was: "Usually from ticks". They then asked me if there are ticks where I live. There certainly are so this "theory" seems to make sense.

For those interested in more information, have a look at the following site:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ehrlichia_infection_in_dogs.html

It sounds like our dog succumbed to "ehrlichia infection".

Just an aside here: Our dog took out (bit) three professional vet staff in the clinic, even though he looked down and out! We didn't nick-name him Hellboy for nothing,
His real name was Arno...

:(

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Thanks Sanurian,

interesting article.. it doesnt mention whether there is a vaccine /preventative measure for this illness. Is it common in Bali ?

Chilli.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
I am not aware of a vaccine for this, chilli.

As for "prevention"...

Keep your dog away from ticks (nearly impossible, depending where you live).
Deal with any ticks promptly! (Important)

I don't know how prevalent this is around Bali.
Let's just say that the vets around my area, (Sanur), were not surprised.

:wink:

Sparky

Aug 9, 2004
england..LONDON
Sanurian i know exactly where your coming from mate. My little collie took ill years ago after having lived a fulllife until the age of sixteen. I had to make the decision to take him to put him down. I carried him in the vets to put him out his misery and then walked home with him covered in a blanket put him down in the lounge sat down and balled my eyes out for 10 minutes. The water out my tears could have cleaned a car.!

Its strange tho as i have had friend die over the years and relations but funnily i felt more of a loss from loding that little dog than any of the people i had lost. I think you grow close to them and they are as you stated Sanur part of the family. I suppose thats life tho cruel as it may seem. At least you gave the dog a great life Sanur and for that you should feel good mate.

Hope your well other than this and will have to get out to Bali soon to visit you and throw a few cold ones down the hatch!! :wink:

Spark

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I wonder if it was Lyme disease? I know that is a disease caught from ticks and can be passed on to humans too. I dont know enough about it though to know if it might also be called Blood parasites here.....

chilli

Apr 24, 2008
Hi Mimpi,, if you look at the post Sanurian wrote 14th May, it has a link on the illness.
named Ehrichia.

I suppose long haired dogs would be better off clipped or shaved so one can check
their skin better to check for these ticks. (i will look into if any kind of flea treatment
would act upon these ticks also). :idea:

I wish you all a good day. Chilli