Philip108

Jun 29, 2010
Ubud
Hi there,

Does anyone have any building experience/advice to share?

I'm considering buying all the building materials myself (or with a good local friend) and then hiring a kontractor just to build.
Do you think this is a good way of cutting out all the extra costs/commissions?

I've been told that hiring a Kontractor and his team for the building services only, will be around 500,000rp per m2.

Wonder if this is a good method for building?

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I bought my steel, cement and tripleks at Makmur Abadi in Teuku Umar Barat (opposite Pertamina). They have a price guarantee where they pay back the difference if you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Philip108

Jun 29, 2010
Ubud
Thanks Balibule, will definitely check out this shop.

Any advice on taking this route? Of buying our own materials and hiring builders separately?
I should think that hiring a quantity surveyor is necessary too ya?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I haven't built a house, but have done a number of renovation projects in the past year. The first one we did was repairing and fixing up a fence on our place. The quote we got seemed very expensive and I thought we could do something cheaper. We bought the materials and paid workers per day to do the job. The end result was they took forever! We added more workers and that still didn't work. Lesson learnt - get a fixed price on the labour, otherwise they will drag it out.

The next time we did a bathroom/kitchen renovation. Again bought the materials ourselves and this time got a fixed price on the labour. Problem was that the guy organizing it didn't want to pay for more workers and the projects took forever to finish.

The next project was to build a small office extension. We got a fixed quote on the labour and materials from a building company. Even though it seemed expensive when we got the quote, I think we saved money rather than trying to do the job ourselves. The workers had people coming to check the project all of the time and they seemed to really work hard to get the job done and we didn't have to manage them. They also did extra painting and fixing stuff that was beyond what we originally asked for.

So my suggestion is if you want to do it yourself, sit down and calculate the cost of all of the materials and how long it will take. Then get some quotes from builders and see how the figures compare.

inwoel

Jun 17, 2012
if you will have your full time supervising the whole construction, go with your purchase and hire a knowledgeable contractor but if you are going to miss half or more of the construction process, that way will not be efficient coz the workers will just do what they want and easy to do and will keep asking you for more and more materials. Buying own materials also involves more aspects ie. you will carry any price fluctuation along the process (main materials fluctuated quite often here), you will carry material quality problems when you are not having expertise in choosing good materials, you will carry the quality guarantee that normally carried out by contractor when they supply materials, transport cost of each delivery, storage, etc. Spicyayam suggestion is the best to try before stepping further in.

Barekarma

Jan 8, 2012
Denpasar
Hi Philip 108
Still in the process of building our renovated house, so here are my pointers for you to consider. We got quotes from 4 'experienced' builders, but found that they only quoted for the areas which they actually knew and then put in any (huge) figure for the areas they did not know. They expected to sub-contract out that part of the construction and still ensure a healthy profit. Result was very highly priced quotations from all, but in all different areas.

We decided to use a builder who we knew well. He bought the key building materials and provided the labour, while we bought the materials which related to quality or colour (such as tiles, bathroom fittings, lighting, etc.). This way we felt we could keep an eye on price.

We go to the project daily, sometimes twice, to check progress and do our own quality checking. We found that while we explained in detail what we wanted to the contractor, somehow it did not get back to the men on site, so we have started to also tell the men why we what things a certain way. That has helped a lot. Speaking Indonesian is very important to do this.

We have use mainly Depo Bangunan (Malboro) and Mitra 10 (Bypass) to buy materials. Although there are cheeper places, we have found that having a fixed price (no haggling) has worked out better for us. Generally, we found the Bule (western) prices to be quoted at least 10% more than local prices. Also, our builder has told us to visit a place, photograph what we wanted, get a quote, and he then sends one of his guys round a day or so later to get a price for the same thing. Usually 10-25% cheeper for his guys.

We have also found that certain concepts, like waterproof membranes, cavity walls, using terminal blocks for electric wire connections, are unknown or untried. Do not expect Austrailan or European standards to be applied. Maybe the contractor knows, but his guys are unlikely to!

But, if you explain why you want something, you may find there is a local method or product that will do the same thing.

Also, prepared to be surprised at the differences in price. For example, a 3 ton truck full of large stone was only 50,000 Rp more expensive than a small Pick-up truck full of stone. Still cannot work out why.

Oh, and if you are pleased with the men's work, then packets of cigerettes are really welcomed. If you give money, somehow all that goes to the Kontractor or his gang foreman, and your generous donation does not do the trick.

Regarding the design, make sure that you allow for plently of storage space, and really think about how you are really going to use the space, including lighting, where the TV goes, where the phone goes, where the internet will be.... cause we have had to change positions of plugs and cable runs, and that has proved messy and expensive. Also, if you see something you like, get it right away, and in the numbers that you want. Frequently we have found a 'large stock' has vanished almost overnight, and the suppliers (always in 'Jakarta') no longer make it, or have ceased to exist.

Have fun. Prepare to write a book about the experence, or better still, come and meet up over a bintang and chat about the horror stories and sleepless nights with others who have gone through the same experiences!
Barekarma

Reactions: WesWes

Philip108

Jun 29, 2010
Ubud
Hi Inwoel, Barekarma,
Thanks for the great advice.
Actually i had one round of renovations done at my current house and it was exactly what you describe. Barekarma, I felt as if i wrote part of your post:)
Just to share a little, for those who might be starting a reno project for the first time.
Barekarma is right, if they are not sure how to do a certain part of the project, they will get other guys in, or they will 'try' to do it themselves.
We asked for our cement floor (for an open kitchen) to have an earth color and polished. We took some pictures of polished cement works done at some restaurants or resorts.
They seemed puzzled at first and later smiled with an idea. The team leader came back with 2 cans of varnish-look-a-like. We have no idea too, so we watched them paint the clear glossy 'thing' onto the cement floor. 2 days later, it rained and the entire floor was wet and turned 'white'! Look closer and you can see a layer of rubber that you can peel off the floor with your fingers. After doing some research, i realised that the 2 cans where actually the waterproofing paint for the roofing. It wasn;t meant for flooring and so it didn't stick to the cement floor well and started peeling off when the floor is wet. Later, it took 4 guys and 2 weeks to sit down and peel off the rubbery stuff and we were back at Sq One. Ha ha, it's funny to think about it now.

Well, for my next project, i'll have to make sure that the contractor has done something similar before, and need to check out his previous projects too.
Inwoel, thanks for your advice. it's true that if i buy my own materials, i have to take responsibility if the something breaks ya? The contractor will just say: You bought bad materials'.... I have to find out a lot more, about how i can manage the overly-priced quotations...

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
Hi Philip
We did something along these lines when building our perimeter wall, gate, drive over and doing the retaining work. We did the drawings of what was required and approached three different contractors for a quote. After we got their quotes, we worked out the cost of all of the building materials (a tricky process involving cubic areas of foundations etc - I am not a Maths brain) and then worked out what they were charging for the labour component. We worked out how many labourers were involved, costing out the workforce. Then we approached a local builder to explain what we wanted to achieve with an offer price. Negotiations ensued and we struck a deal. We paid for all materials coming onto site as they were delivered, boss slept onsite overnight to ensure materials didn't go missing (too much) and paid a week's wages at a time. The site boss gave out the wages each day.

From our perspective, the process was reasonably smooth, costs didn't blow out and the wall is still standing! We were also on site pretty much all day every day supervising quality and my husband laboured also (they found this very comical) I did translation and waddled around 6 months pregnant. There were a couple of sections that needed to be redone as they were substandard but the site boss pretty quickly got the idea of what was expected. We learnt a lot and are looking forward to tackling the house next year.

We will probably follow the same format, giving the drawings to the builder and going step by step. Again, we will be on site every day. Happy days coming!

Vic

Sep 11, 2017
You can try at Karya Utama Canggu and also you can order it online via their website. The prices are quite cheap and they give you free delivery if your purchases is over 2.5 millions. Although the web is not fully covered the product, you still can ask the guy behind the live chat to check availability of your wanted stuff.

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
You can try at Karya Utama Canggu and also you can order it online via their website. The prices are quite cheap and they give you free delivery if your purchases is over 2.5 millions. Although the web is not fully covered the product, you still can ask the guy behind the live chat to check availability of your wanted stuff.

Thanks for posting this but if you look at the date it is from 2012!

• Wow
Reactions: matsaleh

WesWes

Jan 30, 2020
Hi Philip 108
Still in the process of building our renovated house, so here are my pointers for you to consider. We got quotes from 4 'experienced' builders, but found that they only quoted for the areas which they actually knew and then put in any (huge) figure for the areas they did not know. They expected to sub-contract out that part of the construction and still ensure a healthy profit. Result was very highly priced quotations from all, but in all different areas.

We decided to use a builder who we knew well. He bought the key building materials and provided the labour, while we bought the materials which related to quality or colour (such as tiles, bathroom fittings, lighting, etc.). This way we felt we could keep an eye on price.

We go to the project daily, sometimes twice, to check progress and do our own quality checking. We found that while we explained in detail what we wanted to the contractor, somehow it did not get back to the men on site, so we have started to also tell the men why we what things a certain way. That has helped a lot. Speaking Indonesian is very important to do this.

We have use mainly Depo Bangunan (Malboro) and Mitra 10 (Bypass) to buy materials. Although there are cheeper places, we have found that having a fixed price (no haggling) has worked out better for us. Generally, we found the Bule (western) prices to be quoted at least 10% more than local prices. Also, our builder has told us to visit a place, photograph what we wanted, get a quote, and he then sends one of his guys round a day or so later to get a price for the same thing. Usually 10-25% cheeper for his guys.

We have also found that certain concepts, like waterproof membranes, cavity walls, using terminal blocks for electric wire connections, are unknown or untried. Do not expect Austrailan or European standards to be applied. Maybe the contractor knows, but his guys are unlikely to!

But, if you explain why you want something, you may find there is a local method or product that will do the same thing.

Also, prepared to be surprised at the differences in price. For example, a 3 ton truck full of large stone was only 50,000 Rp more expensive than a small Pick-up truck full of stone. Still cannot work out why.

Oh, and if you are pleased with the men's work, then packets of cigerettes are really welcomed. If you give money, somehow all that goes to the Kontractor or his gang foreman, and your generous donation does not do the trick.

Regarding the design, make sure that you allow for plently of storage space, and really think about how you are really going to use the space, including lighting, where the TV goes, where the phone goes, where the internet will be.... cause we have had to change positions of plugs and cable runs, and that has proved messy and expensive. Also, if you see something you like, get it right away, and in the numbers that you want. Frequently we have found a 'large stock' has vanished almost overnight, and the suppliers (always in 'Jakarta') no longer make it, or have ceased to exist.

Have fun. Prepare to write a book about the experence, or better still, come and meet up over a bintang and chat about the horror stories and sleepless nights with others who have gone through the same experiences!
Barekarma

Barekarma!

Sounds like you had alot of Fun! Id love to pick your brain a bit..... :)

Hoe do i get a hold of you?

Wessel

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Built 3 villas this way and it was the most fun I've ever had (with my clothes on). Simply put I tendered out the various stages of the build (surrounding wall first, foundations, first floor, second, finishing and roof tiling) and invited the respondees to come to the plot of land where I built and questioned them about experience/examples of where and what they'd built. Once I settled on my builder got the architect to oversee the build and did all the shopping for materials myself. I had time to spare and enjoyed the challenge but it's not for everybody.