Crocs24

Mar 14, 2012
Jimbaran
Cars are a little cheaper in places like Jakarta or surabaya. Has anyone had any experience with buying a car and bringing it over? Do you need to change the plates to DK quickly or only once the STNK runs out? is it costly to do so?

Ta

davita

Mar 13, 2012
We bought a brand new Avanza Velox in Jakarta about 1 year ago when we lived in Jakarta.
Last August we re-located to Bali and had the car driven by a professional to Bali for Rp5 Juta. Meanwhile, the plates were OK but, as we have changed our Kitas to Bali, we changed the plates from B to DK, when the STNK needed renewing.
It is an administration issue as it has to be removed from the Jakarta registry and included in Bali. Given patience and the right people, we have managed, and proved it is do-able.
IMO, just to get a cheaper car by this method is hardly worth the effort or costs involved.......but it can be a financial benefit as a DIY project.

Crocs24

Mar 14, 2012
Jimbaran
Cost to change plates

Thanks for the advice. So 5jt is a lot just for a drive. What exactly was included in this price? Also with the admin change over in Bali did it have a cost to that. If so how much? Thanks for your help.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
We shopped around including Toyota delivery service. They were all around the same price but Toyota had some restrictions. It's a personal choice...ours was made because of family recommendations as the driver had performed this function a few times when they were traveling. We also filled the car with many household items so trust became an element.
He picked up our car from our apartment in central Jakarta and 3 days later delivered to our villa in Bali, clean and tank full. We delivered him to the Denpasar bus station. That was it.
I know one expat that drove himself, which would be a big saving but I don't drive in Indonesia.
The de-registering fee in Jakarta was around Rp800,000 and the registering fee in Bali was the about the same as we would have paid to register again in Jakarta....basically it cost about Rp6 Juta extra but the price differential for the car was about Rp9 Juta.

We didn't do this to save money...the move to Bali was co-incidental to the purchase of the car.

I heard you need to have a Kitas with an address in Jakarta to buy in Jakarta.....I suggest you need to check this aspect.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
unless buying a new expensive car (think merc,bmw,jeep) the hassle and also costs involved doesn't make it worth it.
and when selling the imported car (java-bali) it still holds the devalue rate from the original price paid in Java..

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
you save 6 % tax, as Gil said that could be a lot of cash if you buy an expensive car, hard to believe that Javanese pay less tax, get lots of money from Bali and nobody complains ?

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I'm the other way around, my bike is rego in Bali & i would like to change to Surabaya. Its not hard to do, but you need to change when you number plates are due or you pay double.
Be very careful of buying a used car, a ex toyota taxi respray & dash wound back is a bargain at Rp90,000,000. A car you could not sell in Australia.
Most new & used car dealers will take a car to Bali & get new plates for you.
If your staying for a long time buy new, local produced cars are cheap.