bakung

May 4, 2011
I am looking into building a swimming pool the size being about 16 x 5 mtrs, anybody had one built and the average cost of such a project, also any good recommended firms or contact details of builders would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
How long is that damned piece of string?

A pool is not just a hole in the ground that has water in it - you can make it as expensive or cheap as you want. With features like slides (I know someone with a volcano in his!).

I just spent about IDR 150 juta making one of a similar size - see picture. Paddie-Suite_pool.jpg

Reactions: MADE CARLOS

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
no crazy stuff like slides or waterfalls then an average prize of 150 - 200 euro per sqm...so 80sqm would be between 12000 euro and 16000euro or in rupiah 150jt and 200jt

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
9x5 swimming pool being built at the place we are renting, contract cost 16.5 juta labour only, owner paying for materials separately. It is a basic rectangle, he said curved is much more expensive because of extra time needed for form work. Also has a small kiddie pool at one end.

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
How long is that damned piece of string?

A pool is not just a hole in the ground that has water in it - you can make it as expensive or cheap as you want. With features like slides (I know someone with a volcano in his!).

I just spent about IDR 150 juta making one of a similar size - see picture. View attachment 1480

Nice pool - but fire the contractor, he's left a ferkin great tree in the middle!

• Haha
Reactions: Paraweta007

bakung

May 4, 2011
DIY pool

9x5 swimming pool being built at the place we are renting, contract cost 16.5 juta labour only, owner paying for materials separately. It is a basic rectangle, he said curved is much more expensive because of extra time needed for form work. Also has a small kiddie pool at one end.

I have been getting quotes for doing it labour only as well, but they are all saying different ways for the pump station some saying under the pool some say build a small unit to house it.
Best quote up to now is 75 juta but can still bargain that down a bit, but the problem is when i asked how much sand/cement/metal etc so i can work out the cost of materials they wont tell me how much the quantities until i agree the price, must be scared i pick up a spade and start digging the thing myself.
You got to love living in stress free Bali :icon_mad:
Larnes any way you could ask the workers doing the pool at your place for a contact number so i can get a price for them.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
One small tip - this pool in the picture is the second one I've built and it's about 5 degrees cooler than the other one. Not at all sure why but it's lovely to swim in and the other one is sometimes too damned warm.

Couple of possibilities:
1) Balancing tank is in the shade
2) Most of the pool is above ground
3) Tiling used as opposed to native stone in the other one
4) 2 meters farther South

Down side - goes green faster than the other one, but that could just be growing pains with a new pool?

Also I would be very cautious how far down you bargain the builders - they will soon be gone but you are gonna have to live with the pool they leave you for a while - think, tiles falling off, cracks, leaks, poor electrics, etc I'm sure you get the message.

Last edited:

bakung

May 4, 2011
Quotes

One small tip - this pool in the picture is the second one I've built and it's about 5 degrees cooler than the other one. Not at all sure why but it's lovely to swim in and the other one is sometimes too damned warm.

Couple of possibilities:
1) Balancing tank is in the shade
2) Most of the pool is above ground
3) Tiling used as opposed to native stone in the other one
4) 2 meters farther South

Down side - goes green faster than the other one, but that could just be growing pains with a new pool?

Also I would be very cautious how far down you bargain the builders - they will soon be gone but you are gonna have to live with the pool they leave you for a while - think, tiles falling off, cracks, leaks, poor electrics, etc I'm sure you get the message.

Markit thanks for the tips, is it normal practice when building a pool here that whoever builds it companys/private labour etc that its 50% upfront then the balance 3/4 months after completion if satisfactory ?.
That is what i have getting told with the prices, fair enough its not a long period but i suppose i am being a bit naive hoping for a longer guarantee.
Thanks again for the heads up.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
labour isn't going to break the bank, neither is a waterpump...
what can make it expensive or cheap (depends how you look at it) is the quality and density of the iron meshing and concrete poured..
ussualy 50% upfront is normal..they need the money to buy the materials..

my suggestions, is don't split the labour and materials...make it a package deal, as in XXX rupiah from start to finish including everything (pump,tiles,concrete,iron, etcetec...)

Reactions: Wolverine

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What he said!

That is the "normal" way to build a pool, I guess. I'm a pussy and did it so that I would have some fun too. What does that mean?

Hire someone that you trust from the local village that can build (ask him what he's done and then fucking go an look at it and talk to the owner).

Hire an architect to plan and oversee the build (about 5 million/month and 3-4 for the plans)

Get them started by telling them you have X Rupiah to build the pool

Stand back and watch.

If you feel adventurous go and buy the materials yourself and subtract that from the running total - it motivates!

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Dumb question maybe, but.....

Why chlorinate pool water? Why not keep it as fresh water and integrate it with (waterfalls, fountains etc) feeding into a fishpond & then pumped back to a filtration system & a rainwater catchment tank.
So essentially all the water in the pool is constantly being circulated

Maybe even feeding the grey-water system? (obviously the out piping leads off elsewhere).

There's probably a very, very good reason for not doing this - what is it?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Had the same idea with the first pool:

Mezpool.jpg

Around the outside of the pool is what is called a "biotope" in other words a place for the "used" water from the pool to regenerate and be cleaned. I was really stuck on the idea and built accordingly. Fortunately I was dissuaded by a biologist. This system works well in colder climes where the temperature drops regularly below 25C - it never does here on Bali and you can do what you want and the bacteria will survive here and the risk of serious sickness is just too large. Added to that that the supply of "fresh" water through rivers and streams is not as fresh as many would like to believe.

And the biotope may not have any animals in it - no fish, frogs, lizards or anything else that poops I'm afraid.

So now I have a chlorine pool with a fishpond around it - looks cool too.

heerhugo

Jan 5, 2009
Sanur
I build the swimmingpool myself....18 meters in a free form shape, it's about 100m2, one children area and a relax area on the other side.
Total costs around 120 juta. Bought a Hayward pump with more capacity then needed, more filtration, less chemical...

Attachments

• Klumpu Bali Resort Swimmingpool 05.jpg
    Klumpu Bali Resort Swimmingpool 05.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Klumpu Bali Resort Swimmingpool 13.jpg
    Klumpu Bali Resort Swimmingpool 13.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 181
  • Klumpu Bali Resort Swimmingpool 06.jpg
    Klumpu Bali Resort Swimmingpool 06.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Good looking pool.
Looks like a very nice resort.
Great pics & cool website

Slight problem with the gallery when you click on the pics (or command+ or command- to enlarge/subtract) - whatever you do it seems to enlarge the pics beyond the screen width.... other than that, excellent work.

Can I ask what size is the property?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

Slight problem with the gallery when you click on the pics (or command+ or command- to enlarge/subtract) - whatever you do it seems to enlarge the pics beyond the screen width....
I don't have that problem with the gallery when using Firefox. Maybe you're using a different browser?

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
For what it's worth, I'm using Firefox on a Mac and have no problem viewing the gallery. Congrats on a very nice looking resort heerhugo!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The web-site does look good when you have a good Internet connection, but on a slow link it sucks because it wants to put you directly into a slide show of full-screen shots. On a poor link these slides show up as black screens of partial photos which keep changing according to the time allotted for the slides in the show.

If your target audience is mostly in western countries, this is not an issue. But if your target audience includes Indonesians or others with slow connections, then maybe it is. Then you would be better with a simple fast loading page to first land on, that lets you step into the slide show. Then if it's too painful, you back out and keep to the fast loading info pages.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
I build the swimmingpool myself....18 meters in a free form shape, it's about 100m2, one children area and a relax area on the other side.
Total costs around 120 juta. Bought a Hayward pump with more capacity then needed, more filtration, less chemical...

I whole heartedly agree, a very attractive website, and really creative villa design. Only have one complaint. I would have to send the wife out to find a second job so I could afford to stay in your place Heerhuugo :eagerness:

How did you get the pool cost down so low? At Rp.120 jt for 100m2 its very low for the pool you have built. Come on Heerhugo, share your secret. :confused::applause: