Bringing my dog to Bali

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
RE: Bali Dog Rescue

Hi markit
...Well, it doesn't sound like you want someone to add to your dog problems but I am anticipating bringing mine with me when we come...
Welcome to the bureaucratic merry-go-round! It certainly doesn't surprise me.

If you look through the archives on this forum, you will find many previous posts concerning the bringing of pets into Indonesia. The bottom line is that it can be an expensive process.

Good luck.
:roll:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

Hey Sanurian,

Thank you for your kind posting and as to the bureaucratic merry.... etc. I am not a stranger to it, having lived in Germany. Butt, and it is a big one, I have searched through the past posts and found nothing on that theme about dogs. Thousands of mails about the sweetness and beauty of cats (personally I hate em) and reams and reams about your pet project with the strays, but about importing dogs into Bali I drew a blank - hence my question.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

How nice are you?

I'll do what you suggested. When I looked for "dogs" and "pets" I got about every thread ever written.

Again thanks

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

Again Matsaleh you are worth your weight in crunchy bars (that's what the flea bag says, anyway). One last itty bitty thing:

*Local Import Permit must be obtained from the Indonesian Agricultural Department before pet arrives

What would be the best method of "attacking" this?

Tried their website and it's less than informative, as to whom to talk to.

Would there be a Bali connection, ie an agency in Bali that would deal with us/it when we visit?

Sorry don't mean to come across as a complete idiot but IMHO it's always best to play dumb and be believed than to play smart and thought dumb - so ask lots of questions. Bit tiring for the askee perhaps - sorry. :roll:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Bali Dog Rescue

Markit said:
*Local Import Permit must be obtained from the Indonesian Agricultural Department before pet arrives

What would be the best method of "attacking" this?

Tried their website and it's less than informative, as to whom to talk to.

Would there be a Bali connection, ie an agency in Bali that would deal with us/it when we visit?
Markit, I agree with you about the Ministry of Agriculture's website; it's not very informative.

To avoid the hassles of tiresome red-tape and having to deal with Indonesian bureaucracy, I'd strongly suggest you contact a professional "pet mover" in the UK. I searched Google and came up with a few.

http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/

http://www.airpets.com/index.html

http://www.petexports.co.uk/

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Will you marry a plump, bald, poor, slightly alcoholic, middle aged white guy? I need looking after... (adult supervision at the least).

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Bringing my dog to Bali

Markit said:
Will you marry a plump, bald, poor, slightly alcoholic, middle aged white guy? I need looking after... (adult supervision at the least).
Sorry, I don't like dogs. :oops: :p

Balined

May 27, 2007
Ubud Bali
We successfully brought our dog into Bali from Australia earlier this year.....EASY!

Just contact Putu Ernawan, (ernawanp@yahoo.com)

He is in Denpasar and is an excellent animal import person.

Tell him Chara and Ned recommended him and I'm sure he will arrange everything for you.

You will of course have to arrange things at your end also thru a pet shipping company.

Goodluck,
Balined

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
We also brought our dog from Australia in Jan this year. Expensive, but relatively easy. And the dog is doing just fine - some of the pessimism in older posts is hard to follow.

Look at http://www.expat.or.id/info/pets.html and don't miss the Sept 2007 update which says that you can now only bring dogs from rabies free countries and lists them. Surprisingly this means you cannot import from US or many EU countries - but check the list.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Luckily the UK is one of those not on the exclusion lists - we, officially, don't have any rabies here - just don't ask about those cross border bats that live in everybody's belfry....

Ok, will be putting myself (well, the flea bag's self) into the hands of the recommended pet shipping people here and, possibly, also contacting Putu Ernawan in Denpasar.

I thank all of you for your (as usual) kind and helpful advice - you're all invited for a drink when we get there - bring crunchy bars for the flea bag. :)