cheynewalk

Jun 22, 2010
any members brought in large amounts of foreign cash? ...... what is the procedure, just tick the box on the customs form or are there more forms to fill out?? ...... any hassles from customs on arrival?

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Yes, I did, just keep it in you pocket in large denomination notes. Maybe if you declare, you might get a few questions about what you want it for or where it came from. Why would you would want foreign cash here though? Surely better to send to a bank here and have it converted to rupia on the way.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Carry it on your person, declare it when you depart your home country, Do not declare it to Indonesia customs or you will be charged a FEE by some dodgy officer, your exchange rate will be better in cash then bank transfer.

cheynewalk

Jun 22, 2010
want to bring cash because it always gets the best rate ....... on large amounts the 1% advantage adds up

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I just came from new york. I told usa what i had in cash on my person(they had to see it in private as it was strapped to me.) private room and all was good

Not have anything in bali .all was fine not one question from them at all. St
amp stamp and off to my place.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Not have anything in bali .all was fine not one question from them at all. St
amp stamp and off to my place.

Perhaps I'm being particularly dense but did you tell the Balinese of the cash or not? If not didn't you run the risk of having it confiscated? Since you are in fact smuggling.

What is an "St amp stamp"? Is that what it looks like when stutterers type?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I told bali immigration about it
stamped and stamped meaning just let me thru with no problems

sorry was on my iphone b4 and yes I type even worse with them

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
No problem at all to declare money and it's free of import duty.
You need to declare it on the form and write on the back what currencies you bring. They ask you to put the amount you bring, but I left that blank as I didn't want everyone to know that. Make sure you know for yourself how much it is, so at customs they will ask you how much it is, what it's for (you can answer whatever you want) and they will take you to an office with a second officer to count your money. You stay with the money all the time and you tell them you knw importing money is for free, tell them you informed at their customs officer/colleague in the embassy of your home country!! As soon as they know you know the drill, no money/fee/bribe will be asked.
Do report it, if not and you get caught, you pay 10% fine and they can also confiscate the money for x days/weeks until they did an investigation. Also take a proof with its money you withdraw from your bank account back home.
As far as I remember, there isn't a max limitation of what you can bring, as long as you declare it. (Last time in 2012 I brought just under 1M with, without any problem).
I have a leaflet about how to import money, in English, somewhere on my laptop. I could send it to you if you DM me your mail (will be end this week as I'm abroad at the moment.
In many countries you also need to declare it when you leave with bigger amounts of money. I did that also, so I had proof of how much money I brought in, as I had customs at the airport back home, counting my money and write the exact amount on the declaration form.
If questions, let me know. ;-)

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
Carry it on your person, declare it when you depart your home country, Do not declare it to Indonesia customs or you will be charged a FEE by some dodgy officer, your exchange rate will be better in cash then bank transfer.

As you can read in my previous message, this isn't true.
Let them feel you know how things work and tell them you contacted their colleague customs officer in your homeland embassy.... ;-)

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
We are only talking about $10,000 here. Simply transfer via internet from Oz bank to Indo bank. Cost is $32.00. Simple. In fact I did it about 10 minutes back.
I hope this money is not from some shonky dealings when you were in the Northern Territory Police Force.

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
It appears the whole having to declare amounts over a certain value was driven out of the States in the global fight to stop money laundering, as long as you have proof that the money is legally yours from legal business no issue. There can be an issue if you do not declare, it is a fine for not declaring in both Australia & NZ, you keep the money if you can provide proof it's yours, if not it's impounded.

sunnycoast

Jun 4, 2010
The reason I take cash money with, is also the exchange rate used by my bank on the transfer.
The rate they use is at least 3 till 5% different, so it's worth to bring the cash with in my case.
As al money is officially taxed money from my accounts, nothing to worry about.

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
Are you travelling alone? If not, obviously the $10k limit would become $20k etc before having to declare.