Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

bringing dog FROM bali to germany

Discussion in 'Bali Expat Forum' started by QuestionMark, Jun 15, 2013.

1. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

Hi there,

I've tried researching this topic but given the word "dog" is too short to show up in the forum search it's not easy. I'm also in contact with groovypets who seem nice, but can't hurt to get more opinions.

I want to bring my puppy (7 months old then) from Bali to Germany in September. I've found lots of info regarding bringing dogs into Bali but not much for the case at hand.

Here is what GP told me:

I'm awaiting clarification on the first point #3 as I read it like we'd have to wait at least 3 months after the test which doesn't make a lot of sense, so I suspect the opposite is meant (can wait max 3 months after test or it expires).

I will of course contact the German authorities about this as well and post their answer here if anyone is interested, for now I'm interested if anyone here has their own experience or hints to share.

Thanks!

2. gilbert de jong

gilbert de jong Active Member

The way I read #3 is as follows :

get rabies-vaccination,
    then after 30 days vet takes a blood sample and the following rabies serology test should be done in a EU approved laboratory and the results should be equal to or greater than 0.5 IU/ml.
    When the testresults are good then the dog may enter Germany, (here it comes, the way I read it) after at least a 3 month quarantaine stay.

3. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

after thinking about it some more (and reading more closely lol) I'm pretty sure quarantine isn't needed as the test doesn't actually test for rabies but confirms the existence of rabies antibodies, meaning it confirms that the vaccination does work.

So now the biggest question for me is how to get her out of Bali to Jakarta I guess.

4. gilbert de jong

yeah, I hear what you're saying but I seriously doubt that an animal, in this case a dog can just enter the EU without some sort of quarantaine...

Bali - Jakarta, Gilimanuk-Banyuwangi apv/kijang/etcetc sort of car with preferable B-plates, tinted/blacked out windows..Indonesian driver and just have the pup in the back on the floor at your feet, with some towel to cover him/her from immediate view.

5. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

oh right, I thought you meant quarantine here in Indonesia. Quarantine in Germany is only half bad and we'd be able to visit her daily etc

6. gilbert de jong

think the hardest part would be finding an EU approved Lab on Bali or in Indonesia for that matter..
    maybe BARC or BAWA can help with the microchip..
    imho, I think the smartest thing to do is contact someone back in Germany, who can check things out from that side..regarding quarantaine and such things.
    to be honest the quarantaine-department in Jakarta isn't that bad at all, but ofcourse I am sure the German quarantaine facilities will be better.

please let me (us) know how things go along

7. ronb

ronb Active Member

Just on this point. When the balipod search is being unhelpful like with this silly short word restriction, just use Google. In this case the Google search would be for

dog site:balipod.com

It gets 362 hits.

Sorry, but I don't have any info on getting dogs into Germany. :-(

8. Markit

Markit Active Member

After importing our 12 year old pooch to Bali recently we were told in no uncertain terms (by DEFRA and our Vet in the UK) that pooch will spend the rest of his life in Bali because there is no way they or any other EU country will ever accept a dog exported from Indonesia.

Basically, forget it. It will cost you about $1000 to get the dog out of Bali to Jakarta (illegally) and that's just where the fun begins. KLM would be the airline to talk to about flying fido out but after that it gets really tough.

9. gilbert de jong

sorry to disagree with you on this one markit...

it is very much possible to export dogs/cats from Indonesia to the EU, the important thing is that all paperwork needs to be in order and clear.
    the $1000 is a bit much, costs to hire a car with driver is about 350K a day (12 hours, ex.fuel) DPS-JKT 3 days, so that would be 6 x 350K + fuel..let's say the total would be a little less then 3jt.
    KLM will fly the dog as "live Cargo" approx. Euro 1100 to 1500...important is that things on the receiving end are already in order.

10. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

yeah from what I've heard so far (nothing officially confirmed yet though, still waiting on that because of the weekend) it's not much of a problem to import the dog to Germany once all the paperwork is done. Hardest part seems to be getting her to Jakarta as I obviously don't want to risk her getting killed at all if we're busted. If we could get her from Jakarta to Singapore we could even take a flight with Finnair, where she could fly with us as checked in baggage for 30€/kg which is a steal compared to some prices I've seen.

About hiring a driver, would he face serious repercussions for smuggling her out of Bali? Maybe we could take a Ship from east Java to Jakarta with the dog, did the reverse journey when I was a kid but without a dog obviously.

Getting her to Singapore is what I'm looking into right now, because Lion/Airasia don't transport dogs, period.

11. Markit

Markit Active Member

Ok $1000 might be a little steep. That's what is usually paid to get pooch into Bali from Jakarta so I presumed, probably incorrectly, that the reverse direction would be the same.

But why should it be?

Java doesn't have an animal import stop like Bali does as there Rabies is fairly widespread I am told. That's why its still possible to import dogs from the rest of the world to Java.

Now about KLM flying the dog. If you use them they are by far the cheapest animal transporter - ours cost us only around 200 Euro from London to Jakarta as it went as excess luggage. KLM are so good at this they are also the only carrier with their own dog boxes so you don't need to buy one. You might want to look into taking pooch direct to Schiphol in Amsterdam - easier than over SG.

KLM are shit for moving people though.

Let us know how it turns out.

In retrospect it was probably only impossible to re-import pooch back into the UK as they are the ones with the massive paranoia about Rabies.

#11 Markit, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  12. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

I'll def keep KLM in mind, if sending her alone it wouldn't be a problem picking her up in Amsterdam at all. One thing I'm wondering is if the vaccination stickers clearly stating she's been vaccinated in Bali could get us into trouble in Jakarta, or if it's only directly before and after the ferry part from bali where anyone would care about that.. Will def keep you posted

13. Markit

Markit Active Member

Don't think the officials here (or Jakarta) care what vaccinations pooch has had or where. It's purely in the EU that they will get picky.

14. wayne1978

wayne1978 New Member

I suggest you check out AVA in Singapore, my dealings with them in my line of work they are fussy paper chasing bunch!!!
    SEE info I copied below.
    I would suggest you contact a professional pet courier that has experience in such bureaucratic exercises.

Transshipment of personal pets

To transship your pets via Singapore, you would need to obtain a Transshipment Licence from AVA. The licence is valid for 30 days from the date of issue and the fee is S$50 per licence. Application for the licence can be made with the online form Licence to Import/Export/Transship Animals, Birds, Eggs and Biologics. The licence may be done within the same day with no additional surcharge.

Applicants are required to produce a copy of the valid health certificate or valid rabies vaccination (for dogs and cats only) to accompany the application. Additional documents such as copy of the import permit or import license from the importing country may be required depending on the destination country.

For transit periods of more than four hours, your pet will either be transferred to the Changi Animal and Plant Quarantine (CAPQ) or the airline's animal holding area (for shorter transit period or outside CAPQ's operation hours). The accommodation fee in CAPQ is S$26.25 / animal for one day or part thereof (for cats or dogs, with feed) or S$26.25 / kennel unit for one day or part thereof (for other animals or birds, without feed). For information on CAPQ, please click here.

15. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

So it's getting closer, we've been quoted "about 50 million" for the all inclusive package from our doorstep to Amsterdam airport..

Heard from others they paid the same so it's not an one time ripoff price I guess.. Still a bit pricey though haha.

I've checked with KLM and bringing her as checked baggage would indeed be only 200 eur so right now I'm investigating about do it yourself methods. Would still use a service that get her to Jakarta and probably also for the required docs/exit permits.

Will keep you posted for future reference, any tipps and hints are appreciated

16. Markit

Markit Active Member

Since KLM fly from Bali just put her/he/it on board here and let KLM ship it straight through to Shipol or where ever? 50 million is fecking ridiculous!

17. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

Yeah since we bought her from family as a puppy we could buy 100 of her littermates for that price in theory haha.

Can't put her on a plane here in Bali from what I've heard dem multiple sources, not that it makes much sense (aren't the bali rules to protect bali from rabies? How does this make sense at all...) but going to check again with Airport authority and klm itself again

18. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

Just came back from the airport quarantine station, people were very nice but unfortunately confirmed, can't put a dog, cat or monkey on a plane from denpasar.

19. davita

davita Active Member

I believe Bali is still considered a rabies contagious part of the world, although could possibly be freed in 2015, if no further cases reported. A country needs 24 consecutive months free of rabies to be considered.
    That is possibly why crossing from Bali to Java, with a dog, is undesired.

20. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Member

The thing is, whole indonesia is considered rabies infested. For that reason it makes sense to restrict flow of animals INTO bali as bali is "almost rabies free". It makes n sense whatsoever to restrict the animal outflow though: rest of indonesia is presumably infected worse and other countries don't differ between different regions of indonesia at all - it's all considered highest risk zone and treated accordingly (which wouldn't be a big problem, just get vaccination and blood tests).

Oh well