Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
Hi
New to the forum
I’ve been living in Bali a while now
currently in my second year in a rented cottage at Legian.
I get back to Australia every 2-3 months for a couple of weeks working some of the festivals – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane Canberra etc.
Spend a bit of time in north Bali with my girlfriend at her family home.
Question: - I’m a bit over Bintang at the moment and hear Kilkenny is available, I know it’s available at some of the bars on tap but would like to buy a carton/box for home occasionally.
I haven’t seen it around yet, anyone know where I can get it?
Cheers
Andrew

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I feel your pain...

Try:

Beer&Co
Address: Jl. Legian No.133, Kuta, Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361, Indonesia
Phone:+62 811-3886-658

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
YES ! Bintang is so overrated, Heineken plus Sugar (they really add sugar :icon_e_surprised:)

Try Prost with Lime, it isn't superb but pretty ok (and no added sugar)

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
Thanks - Nice little bar and shop
No luck with Kilkenny but picked up a Stark wheat and a Prost to try.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I love Bintang and it speaks very highly of me.

I'm just painfully happy to be able to buy any beer in the largest Muslim country on Earth.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Plumbers Arms on Jl. Semer, Kerobokan have Kilkenny on tap and also have a bottle shop. Not sure if they stock bottles of Kilkenny....but worth a try.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Bintang also makes Heineken and Guiness (under licence). Has done for a very long time.

Heineken started the beer brewing process in Indonesia on a commercial scale. When it "left", PT Bintang took over.
The Wicked Parrot in Sanur has Kilkenny, Guiness and Bintang on tap.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Bintang also makes Heineken and Guiness (under licence). Has done for a very long time.

Heineken started the beer brewing process in Indonesia on a commercial scale. When it "left", PT Bintang took over.
The Wicked Parrot in Sanur has Kilkenny, Guiness and Bintang on tap.

I understood Bintang was owned by Heineken International as is Singapore's Tiger brewery.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Yes - the history of Bintang and Heineken's role is more complicated than I suggested.

A Dutch company started it in Surabaya (I think), 1929?. Dutch colonial rule times, World War 2 later, Indonesian independence, Heineken buys shares in Bintang, leaves later on, comes back, etc.
Basically I was wrong - "Bintang" was first (but it was a Dutch company in the first place). Or something like that.

The following link is worth a look...

“Bintang, Anyone?â€￾ - Indonesia Expat

Pardon me while I have another one.

When I get tired of Bintang, I go for Anker (much better than it used to be).
And I think that Bali Hai is the worst beer ever made here.
Each to their own.

:icon_e_biggrin:

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Yes - the history of Bintang and Heineken's role is more complicated than I suggested.

A Dutch company started it in Surabaya (I think), 1929?. Dutch colonial rule times, World War 2 later, Indonesian independence, Heineken buys shares in Bintang, leaves later on, comes back, etc.
Basically I was wrong - "Bintang" was first (but it was a Dutch company in the first place). Or something like that.

The following link is worth a look...

“Bintang, Anyone?â€￾ - Indonesia Expat

Pardon me while I have another one.

When I get tired of Bintang, I go for Anker (much better than it used to be).
And I think that Bali Hai is the worst beer ever made here.
Each to their own.

:icon_e_biggrin:

I've recently turned onto Prost as it has a little aftertaste which other lagers don't......but I haven't seen it in draft yet. I think it's made in Semarang and some stores sell it cheaper than Bintang

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Am always astonished to see how someone asked "what time is it?" and all the old boy come out of the woodwork and tell him/her how to build a clock.

squirrels nutz.jpg

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Here in Surabaya I get 3 prost for 50,000 rp,3 large Bintang for 100,000,not a bad price but it's not a real bar,its a cafe and absolutely no atmosphere,not a word of English spoken or understood and the loudest s**t music I have ever experienced,funny thing happened the other night,i had asked to see the tennis on tv,after about an hour they came to ask my Wife and asked if we would mind if they changed the channel to a cartoon chanel because a customer wanted to watch cartoons,i asked who the customer was and they told me it's the owners 7 year old daughter,I already knew as we were the only customers there my reply was no problem and while you are at it bring me the bill and I will go across the street to another place,they didn't ask again,and the channel didn't change

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
We had a nice lunch today at Plumbers Arms, and a great pint of Kilkenny
The guy there told me they used to sell it in bottles for takeaway but that was over a year ago, he thought it was no longer available in Bali now.
Bintang, Anker and the occasional Guinness – All good and happy to have the choices.
Having a Robinson light rum with lots of ice and coconut water as I type
Cheers all

Andrew P

Jan 21, 2017
In the bottle Nydave – the Indonesian edition
Don’t have the budget to drink at the bars to often but like a few beers at home in the afternoon.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm told there's a place here in Candi that does Kilkenny on tap - haven't been yet but will submit a report when mission accomplished.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah seems Guinness bottles are everywhere here,im shocked at the amount of Indonesians who drink it,here in Surabaya you can get 3 large bottles for rp 100,000 In the place I drink,to be honest they would need to pay me to drink it,its gross from the bottle,I was born in Ireland and used to drink tap Guinness all the time many yrs ago,around a year ago I had a meeting in Jakarta with a guy from the Irish Embassy there,he told me his local bars in the Kemang area have Guinness on tap and said it:s really good,however he said it cost around rp 140,000 for a pint,way too much for a beer

davita

Mar 13, 2012
When you say sometimes Guinness is that on tap or in a bottle

Plumbers Arms sells draft Guinness for 1/2 pint 48,000 and pint 95,000. Also draft Kilkenny for 1/2 pint 45,000 and pint 85,000 and draft Heinekin 1/2 pint for 27,000 and pint 50,000. No idea where they are brewed but I'll ask next visit...I know the owner and manager.

I've only tried the Kilkenny and can attest it is a nice brew and quite heavy as an ale...don't need many to get a buzz.

BTW we've had this conversation before in Balipod (over 3 years ago)...see here...https://balipod.com/bali-expat-forum-f2/kilkenny-beer-t9086.html