Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Am thinking about importing one of those small bread making machines from Europe and I would appreciate any information as to how well or not they work here, access to good flour and grains, voltage problems, etc. Basically if you use one what is your experience with them.

Cheers Markit

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
me 3...

Might bring one with us from here...along with a yogurt maker a friend is getting me.

Have never used one, but highly recommended from those that do.....and bread I found lacking in Bali last year.

Dick Rector

Feb 26, 2011
Sanur Bali Indonesia
??? You can buy them here, Lately I have seen them in ACE at the kitchenware dept (upstairs) in Hypermart and on the upperfloor in Centro (don't know the name of the shop.)
I have been using them (in Europe) for years and it made very nice bread. Don't know what I am doing wrong here but the bread always comes out as a block of concrete while I am following the same procedure. Gave the machine away.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
^ must be the ingrediants available then...as what Markit was inquiring about.

But....must be doable....Bali not that backward...I live in backward and we have a huge range of them available here and the quality ingrediants.

Bali is a huge tourist destination....hotels alone have the market for good food items for foreigners....just a matter of finding where they get it from.

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
Bread making is an art.... I bake my own bread/croissants/pretzels in Europe as well as in Bali. The process is the same but the ingredients mainly the flour depends on the weather/temperature and humidity. So a bread maker is not really the way to go. A good bread kneading machine is all you need and a good feel for the dough.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Not really practical in Bali to be lighting a fire and cooking bread or damper every few days.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yes, also don't have an oven and really wanted to not have to buy one also. Hence the bread machine question. Is there differences in the flour here as in the west? Have studied the packages and can't see any indications of gluten content or the like so it's pretty much "suck it and see"? Maybe I'll go to Ace and pick one up there - give it a week and then take it back if it's a fail... what are their return policies?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Some flour in the supermarkets is labelled as being for cakes and biscuits (the blue pack I think), while other is for bread and pasta (the green pack I think). But I don't know how good the flour intended for bread really is.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Opinions (as usual) are still evenly divided so I'm at a difficult point. I don't want to go to all the trouble of getting someone to buy and bring a bread machine from Europe for what might be a waste of time and so:

Does anyone have a bread maker to give away (I will pick up so you get the wonderful opportunity to meet/punch me too!)?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
sam I purchased 2 of them. My maids use them all the time.I get fresh bread when I ask and even banana bread and such.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Lottomart not sure what I paid .I Bought cookie sheets, pie pans and muffin pans and assorted baking stuff aat same time

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Banana bread...awesome....hankering for some homemade bacon and cheese bread....have not had it for near on 12 years

I see Markit is lowering his expectations somewhat....