MissT

Oct 27, 2010
Perth Australia
Are there books/dictionary available to buy to learn Bahasa balinese or is it pure local dialect to learn from speaking with locals and if I want to learn the language I should learn Bahasa Indonesian first?

tks

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Are there books/dictionary available to buy to learn Bahasa balinese or is it pure local dialect to learn from speaking with locals and if I want to learn the language I should learn Bahasa Indonesian first?

tks
Bahasa Balinese is actually 3 dialects depending on the caste of the person you're speaking with and is more than I want to tackle.

There are books, dictionaries, phone apps, and schools for learning Bahasa Indonesia. Look at Learning Indonesian - The fun and easy self-paced course in Bahasa Indonesia, the Indonesian Language for a good one. I think their paid program is worth the money but the free program is also good.

Everyone speaks Bahasa Indonesia. It is an easy language to learn so that would be my recommendation. I have a BI teacher who comes to my house once a week but I am a beginner and still cannot yet speak BI. I'm looking forward to the day when I can communicate freely in BI.

Tikus

Mar 24, 2011
bahasa indonesia

hello, i was interested in learning the bahasa indonesian language so i downloaded Learning indonesian, the easy way with ci ci and shaun...i have been teaching myself for 6 months now and can speak quiet fluent bahasa. it is the first language ive ever learnt and i am in my 40s...i will be moving to bali in august for an extended time and am very much looking forward to communicating with the locals in their language...i thoroughly recommend this download, there are alo study guides to learn from as well....good luck..!! Tikus..:)

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

tks
MissT, there was a previous thread on this subject early last year and someone recommended a couple of books (last post on the page)

So far, I get by in Bahasa Indonesia (by no means fluent yet), but can only swear in Balinese.:icon_eek:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja

tks
I bought a book at the airport.
Called Practical Balinese. It's 'periplus phrasebook' publication by Gunter Spritzing.
It's a start.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
There is a Balinese/Indonesian/English dictionary you can buy also at Periplus.

paulybgood

Sep 30, 2010
hello, i was interested in learning the bahasa indonesian language so i downloaded Learning indonesian, the easy way with ci ci and shaun...i have been teaching myself for 6 months now and can speak quiet fluent bahasa. it is the first language ive ever learnt and i am in my 40s...i will be moving to bali in august for an extended time and am very much looking forward to communicating with the locals in their language...i thoroughly recommend this download, there are alo study guides to learn from as well....good luck..!! Tikus..:)

I have looked at thier program Tikus. Did you find it difficult?

Lioness45

Aug 5, 2010
I have almost finished a 4-week course in Bahasa Indonesia at IAlF - Jl Raya Sestan 190, Denpasar. It was very comprehensive but I am finding it difficult to understand native speakers, unless they speak really slowly, though I now know a lot of words and can put sentences together (I think LOL). Can pick up the odd word here and there. I don't get much opportunity to hear people speaking BI as most now speak English. Any suggestions.
The Learning Indonesian course is a great place to start.