dhikka

Mar 13, 2010
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right thread or not. Furthermore I am new to the forum.
I am a book junkie building a private library. My collection is currently meager and new books at periplus are very expensive. If you know where I can get good books at more reasonable prices, or for some reasons you are willing to separate with your books - please let me know!

Matur Suksma,
Thank you,
Terima kasih,

Blondie

Mar 3, 2010
All I can suggest, is keeping a regular eye on the classified section of the Bali Advertiser. Sometimes I see people leaving and offering their collection of books for sale

N

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
Dhikka, I don´t know where are you living but I guess you probably know that in Ubud for example there is a few of second hand books shops and we have a few second hand books in our shop as well (a friend given the books to our Foundation) but I am not sure if could be any of them interested to you, if you want to have a look our shop is in:

Kupu Kupu Gallery
Jalan Raya Ubud at the corner with Jalan Hanoman, in front of the Bank BPD in Ubud.
Just opposite of our shop at the corner there is as well a small place selling second hand books.
By the way, our shop sells handicrafts made by people with disabilities in Bali.

I just remember now you could try as well the shop of Yayasan Senyum, the shop of another Foundation in Ubud, they may have second hand books because they are a shop selling second hand things, it is located up at the road opposite to the Moka Cafe in Jalan Raya Ubud., close to the temple where there is Kecak dance, I don´t remember now the name of the street.
Have a good weekend!

dhikka

Mar 13, 2010
begonie, blondie, thanks!

Any experiences with Pangloss in Kuta? I heard it's good but I haven't had time to visit (currently living in Sanur area)

Olsig

Mar 14, 2010
Candidasa
... here in Candidasa is ...

a second hand book shop too. In the middle of the village near Asli supermarket. He also offer different languages ... but please dont buy all the books of him, i use this shop too .... :)

Its special here - if you finish the book what you bought, you can bring it back an he count the half of the paid price :)

Cheers !!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think small secondhand book shops are common in the tourist areas. I have found a couple in a side street off Poppies Lane 2. They have books that have been brought by tourists for holiday reading, then left behind - so you can find some good one.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Being an avid reader myself I have found the best way to find some new material is to simply go to the local hotels with an armful of already read books and ask if you can swap a few. I have never been denied and they seem quite careless about the whole thing - I would bet that many of the locals that I ask can't read themselves and therefore couldn't care less what happens to "their" books - but I might be wrong.

THE NUMBER ONE SOURCE for any and all books is the IRC network where it is possible to download all the books of the world - ALL, FREE. It is to books what NAPSTER was to music.

I have attached an explanatory file to this note (I hope!?) It may seem complicated but once you've done it a couple of times it's a breeeeze.

Markit

Attachments

• How To Download ebooks.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
e-books

THE NUMBER ONE SOURCE for any and all books is the IRC network where it is possible to download all the books of the world - ALL, FREE. It is to books what NAPSTER was to music.

I have attached an explanatory file to this note (I hope!?) It may seem complicated but once you've done it a couple of times it's a breeeeze.

Markit

Thanks Markit. Followed the directions and it took a couple of tries, but then I began to get books. The work "arcane" comes to mind - but if it works - who cares. Your attached note says do @seek which did nothing for me, but @search works.

Before this I had been using The Pirate Bay - and have a useful collection, but the bookz channel has more.

As for reading ebooks - initially, I was not very comfortable staring at a computer screen for reading books - but now I am happy to find a comfortable chair or spot like on the Bale with my laptop - and get absorbed. Getting hooked on the Steig Larssen trilogy (starts with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") which I only had as ebooks helped me to get going.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Getting hooked on the Steig Larssen trilogy (starts with "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") which I only had as ebooks helped me to get going.

My sister sent me over the series and I hve just finished book 1. I thought about buying a Kindle but I still enjoy reading paperbacks. One of the things I enjoy about reading is getting away from my computer.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah the explanation is a little old and the forum is very ancient - but it works!

When I first discovered it I downloaded a collection that would have daunted the Library of Congress to catalogue. It's just so much fun getting books that cost a fortune - for nothing! Just like in Napster days - I had so much shitty music that my hard disk damn near exploded.

Reading on the laptop is not perfect by any means but it's better than not reading, just. I am waiting for the e-readers to evolve into something like a usable format with all the bells and whistles - it seems to be happening very fast! Now with color, movies, music, etc. Now if the price will just fall a bit....

yoganism

Apr 20, 2010
hi so your looking for cheap books right well this works out perfectly cause i was actually trying to find someone who was willing to take a lot of my books off of my hands.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
You could put a list here in the classifieds section. There is book store in Ubud that buys used books, called Ganesha, near the post office.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
15 pages of instructions.....surely since 2010....it has evolved a little ?

But, tis my desire to get kids heads out of gadgets, not into more.....gadget dies for whatever reason......goodbye books......but real bookes can survive a childs bedroom.

oih

May 8, 2015
Quarantine
dash more disturbance .. counting towards ten .. that may, or not, allow links / attachments here >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2014
Aberdeen/Singapore
Kindle/Ebooks vs Paperbacks.
A quick survey amongst my colleagues and most of them detest Kindle, at the end of their shift they just want to get away from any device with a screen AND a charger and get 'back to nature' with a book printed on dead trees just as Gutenberg intended.

oih

May 8, 2015
Quarantine
well my partner is a B/W e-reader person and says .. there’s no issue with charging .. and adjustable font makes for easy on the eyes

~~~~~

that be seven