myim74

May 16, 2015
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I will be in bali cpl of months or so and the wifi at the apt I'm staying just won't cut it. I thought biznet prepaid home package was a good deal. But it seems like they don't have coverage around the jail.

So I was thinking between bolt modem and smartfren. Does anyone have experience with this? And is there a good package for home use? Also can I sign up myself or do I need a referral ect.?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Hi Mrs Gabry, is Bolt available in Bali? Their website has no mention of it. If so, how did you get connected?

myim74

May 16, 2015
Went by smartfren today

I use Bolt and I am very happy with it. It is really cheap and quite fast. You can connect up to 6 devices. Hope this helps.

I went by there office today. And they are telling there new 4g modem is coming out next week. I have the opportunity to buy a used bolt modem. I guess it comes down to decent speed at least 1.5 Mbps and some kind of good paket. Can you tell me which plan you use and how much? Thx.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Hi Myim74,
I have smartfren, and am satisfied. My location is in West Bali with many tall palm trees which previously obstructed other provider's devices. So location is a significant factor. Ipay 200k rp. per month (sometimes exhausted before one month with extensive usage), and the last modem cost about 500K rp. Bolt is totally new to me.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I think I need some explanation please. Bolt is (1) - a 4g sim card driven internet provider in Java and Medan (according to their blurb) AND (2) a small sim driven MIFI (multi connections possible, as MsGaby says) portable modem.

Accepting the above MSGABY are you talking about just the portable modem or the Bolt 4G internet service OR the modem OR both?

mrsgabry

Sep 8, 2009
Vienna/Nusa Dua
Mark, I am talking about the portable modem.

I think I need some explanation please. Bolt is (1) - a 4g sim card driven internet provider in Java and Medan (according to their blurb) AND (2) a small sim driven MIFI (multi connections possible, as MsGaby says) portable modem.

Accepting the above MSGABY are you talking about just the portable modem or the Bolt 4G internet service OR the modem OR both?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I think it is best to buy an unlocked modem and then you can try which provider works best in your particular area. I would also definitely get one that supports 4G.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I went by there office today.

Could you tell us where their office is? So weird they don't list it on their website . . . oh wait, I forgot where I was for a moment. Next thing you know I'll be asking them questions via email. Crazy!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Mark, I am talking about the portable modem.

Ahhh but not the 4G Bolt sim card? Presume you are using some other provider (Tri, Simpati, Telekomsel, etc)? In that case it's just a modem (maybe a good one, but there are many of those).

You up this way anytime?

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
I'm very interested in this discussion mainly 'cause I'm 2 weeks away from my sabbatical in Bali but also because I'm somewhat of a ***** when it comes to internet/connectivity. I still prefer to use a 'dumb' phone, it doesn't even have a camera, so the convoluted series of connections and devices to my laptop probably won't suit me. I understand that the Balinese internet is no great shakes and I would rather be able to use just my laptop rather than get a smart phone. Would the portable Bolt modem allow me to stick to my dinosaur ways or do I need to drag my self through several ice ages into the age of mammals and get a hand held 'communitainment' device?

- - - Updated - - -

'dinosaur'.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The modem you/we are talking about is called a MIFI (not Wifi) and you put one of a choice of internet sim cards into the thing and presuming you've got some money on the card you should get your laptop to connect to the MIFI and then the internet with relative ease. (relative is a word with flexible meaning). For more info Google MIFI.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Steve if having good internet is more important to you than verdant emerald green fields, chocolate brown, friendly women and icy cold beer then go to Korea.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
No not at all Markit, I have visited Bali many times over the last 30 years and have travelled off the beaten track throughout Indonesia for nearly as many. I would like to have access to a good net access hence my interest in the developments referred to in this thread. if it's not, then so be it. On its own it will not make me want to travel to Korea and I don't know where you get the idea that it is of such a prime importance. Besides, Korea doesn't have warm water semi secret surf spots on the east coast far from the madding crowd and I don't expect to learn Bahasa Indonesian in Seoul nor gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of the Balinese through my studies.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
No not at all Markit, I have visited Bali many times over the last 30 years and have travelled off the beaten track throughout Indonesia for nearly as many. I would like to have access to a good net access hence my interest in the developments referred to in this thread. if it's not, then so be it. On its own it will not make me want to travel to Korea and I don't know where you get the idea that it is of such a prime importance. Besides, Korea doesn't have warm water semi secret surf spots on the east coast far from the madding crowd and I don't expect to learn Bahasa Indonesian in Seoul nor gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of the Balinese through my studies.
Well said, and welcome to the forum and enjoy your impending stay.

myim74

May 16, 2015
smartfren office

Could you tell us where their office is? So weird they don't list it on their website . . . oh wait, I forgot where I was for a moment. Next thing you know I'll be asking them questions via email. Crazy!

Hey. It's right after Carrefour on the left side.

myim74

May 16, 2015
Hello all. Thanks for some great feedback. I would like to tell you what I decided on. So, I bit the bullet on getting a unlocked bolt modem(figured I can end up using it in other countries also). Got a great deal on the newer 4g model from someone who was leaving town. 300000 rb for the modem. did some more research and ended up getting the the 21 gb tri data card 250000 at a discounted price of 225000? didn't understand why I got the discount, but didn't bother asking. Also comes with a active period of 2 years!!! also when you run out. instead of reloading pulsa. just get a new card with same promo. It's actually cheaper that way.

I'm staying near Kerobokan near the jail and speeds are satisfactory. At night up to 7.2 mbps and day around 1:30 pm 4.8 mbps.

The pros are definitely there for the mobile modem. but now that I'm back to speed I want a home internet with higher speeds and unlimited data so I can download larger files and stream from amazon tv. Any other suggestions for home use at a great price? Hope this helps someone. Thx!!!