BazzT

Feb 24, 2015
Looking at moving to either if these two areas, within next 12 months. wife n I 55. I work FIFO. Alsohave a 12 yo daughter, so schooling impirtant close by

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi BazzT welcome.
I suggest you will need to satisfy your visa and schooling requirement before searching for a place to stay.

As you intend FIFO then a VOA (30 days extendable to 60) or Tourist visa (60 days initially) is appro for your visits and, if wife is over 55, she can apply for an annual Retirement Kitas which will need a qualified agent to acquire. Your daughter's visa may be acquired from the school you select.
You don't say what type of educational system she will need. I assume Australian as you are FIFO and there is an Australian International School on Jl. Kerobokan so living in Sanur would be a journey for her....and Lovina just would not work.

Maybe others can advise on schools as I'm not familiar.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I would look at schools first Sanur area has a few " international" /western schools and many many home schooling places .I know nothing about Lovina area schools

Many ways to do visas ,since you are FIFO voa a viable option ( 35 usd for 30 days your over 4 million for the year ) A retirement Kitas( which must be sponsored by an agent ) is another way for you or your wife. the other spouse can get a family kitas from the"retired" person along with your child .Those 2 family kitas would cost under 4 million a year and both including a Multi Exit Entry Permit for each .The retirement kitas does also .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
A Retirement Visa (Kitas) must be sponsored by a Registered Agent and a Multi-Exit Re-Entry Permit (MERP) is mandatory. I doubt if you'll get much change out of IDR 8-9 million for this.
You might get a discount from an agent for the whole family package but....as Smoke says...the spouse and child can be DIY, with the Kitas holder as sponsor, and therefore much cheaper.

Most FIFO I've met just do VOA (US$35) as they generally work month ON...month OFF. But remember, the VOA is counted in DAYS not a month, and day of arrival is day 1. Any overstay is penalised....I'm not sure but think it might be IDR300,000/day.

edit: Another thing to consider is tax. Anyone spending more than 180 days in any year in RI is legally presumed to pay taxes on world income under agreements with the host country. I don't know anyone that complies, but this new Government is committed to raise tax revenue and I'd suggest there is nothing fatter-looking than an expat FIFO worker, with the family living in Bali.

Last edited:

BazzT

Feb 24, 2015
Thanks everyone. For my wife to apply for retirement visa, wouldn't they require proof of income for her?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Joint bank account should be enough to show proof of "income" to live here
each agent( for the sponsorship) will probably want different things to process it
Here are the basics but again they vary agent by agent

Applicant is 55 years of age or older,
Possess a passport or travel documents with more than 18 months remaining validity,
Sbmit full identification (copy of all passport pages) and four passport photos 4 x 6 cm,
Curriculum vitae,
Statement from Pension Fund Foundation or Bank from the country of origin (or Indonesia) of funds available, minimum of US$1,500 per month, to provide the applicant living expenses during the proposed stay in Indonesia (Total US$18,000 per year) (VERY stiff compared to other countries requirements - US$600/month in Panama),
Proof of medical/health Insurance, life insurance, and third-party personal liability insurance in country of origin or Indonesia,
Statement of living accommodation in Indonesia. Minimum cost of US$35,000 if purchased house/apartment or, a minimum rental cost of US$500/month in Jakarta, Bandung, and Bali; US$300/month for other cities in Java Island, Batam, and Medan, and other cities a minimum US$ 200/month.) in the tourist areas according to the regulations,
Statement to declare employment of an Indonesian maid servant whilst living in Indonesia,
Payment of Immigration Fee based on effective regulations,
Sponsor letter from the appointed travel agency, costs to be paid by applicant,
Statement agreeing not to engage in business activities or work for a living. You MAY NOT WORK in Indonesia on this visa!
You may stay in Indonesia for one year on this visa, extendable for up to a maximum stay of five years.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Smoke has well presented the requirement to attain a Retirement Kitas. It looks on paper to be very daunting but, as has been said, this Visa is mandated to be sponsored and applied for using a Registered Agent, of which there are plenty in Bali. It is not possible to do it yourself (DIY).

I'm on my 4th Retirement Kitas and found the agent does all the work on your behalf...that's why he commands the big bucks. Just provide the documents/signatures he asks and he'll get the job done.

The 18 month + validity in the passport is a must. You might find your home country may not wish to issue a new passport if more than 1 year unexpired, it happened to me in Vancouver, till I showed the relevant Indonesian 18 month requirement.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Baz, I can understand about schooling being important. Did you actually make that many spelling and grammatical mistakes on purpose to show us how important it is?
Come over for a look first up. I have a number of FIFO mates living in Sanur, I will happily introduce them to you and you will find out things about visas that Davita and Smoke do not know about. This is simply because they have never done FIFO.
Smoke loves to make a trip to the toilet sound complicated. I will introduce to a guy who will make the visas an easy thing.
I am similar to Davita in that I am on my second retirement visa, however unlike him I am not ugly nor bad tempered and do not suffer from halitosis.
Cheers Ron.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I will introduce to a guy who will make the visas an easy thing.
I am similar to Davita in that I am on my second retirement visa, however unlike him I am not ugly nor bad tempered and do not suffer from halitosis.
Cheers Ron.

Good offer above...but remember...this is the same guy that said...'I do not have a spare room in our hotel plus our villas are all fully booked. We operate at around 90% occupancy over the entire year' Meanwhile, the Hotel Association was saying the average occupancy in Bali was around 55%.
and the same guy that now confesses to living in Indonesia on his 2nd retirement visa....which doesn't permit employment.
and the same guy that chastised me for not accepting his offer to get an IMB (building permit) for a villa already built....which I hadn't even requested.

Soon there will be some vacant cells in the Kerobokan Penitentiary, which is a short walk from the Australian International school. There's also a very nice pastry shop half-way between where your daughter can buy some goodies.

I have no idea about no.idea but he does have a point about
1. My ugliness.....not disputed...seen my avatar?
2. Bad temper....complimented by my ugly.
3. Halitosis...had to look that up as I thought it was known by physicians as Onychomycosis which affects most by the age of 70. So when I bent down to see my toes I fell over. Can only conclude it has something to do with Markit's claim that I suffer from alzheimers not the bad breath no.idea thinks....but I can't remember....and nobody risks giving me mouth to mouth....:disgust:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Davita, maybe while you were busy looking up, the remanding bit of your brain feel through your ear.
I know the guy who issues IMB"s because I met him and we struck up a friendship. I understand that you have no friends however I happen to make friends with people very easily.
I can not see me going to prison for that.
I happen to know a helpful guy who does visas because he looks after many of the expat crew in Sanur. He is also a very good friend of mine.
Again I can not see me going to prison for that.
The "we" bit referring to hotels does not at any stage say that I work. In fact I have no interest in working. To me it is the greatest rule in the world that we can not work on a retirement visa.
I know you are too old to understand or grasp many things but if a women is pregnant, her husband will often say "we" are having a baby. The truth is he is not having anything.
People even say "we " won the football on the weekend. This does not mean they actually played, it is simply an expression.
I can not see me going to prison for using the word "we".
As a small thought have you contacted the Queen so she can send you a message for your birthday next year. They no longer send telegrams when a person turns 100.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Davita, maybe while you were busy looking up, the remanding bit of your brain feel through your ear. Didn't you start your post #8 by admonishing the OP about English spelling and grammer...and yet you felt compelled to post the above sentence.
I know the guy who issues IMB"s because I met him and we struck up a friendship. I understand that you have no friends however I happen to make friends with people very easily.
I can not see me going to prison for that. Agreed...unless you are complicit in helping him do something illegal.
I happen to know a helpful guy who does visas because he looks after many of the expat crew in Sanur. He is also a very good friend of mine.
Again I can not see me going to prison for that. Agreed...unless you are complicit in helping him do something illegal.
The "we" bit referring to hotels does not at any stage say that I work. In fact I have no interest in working. To me it is the greatest rule in the world that we can not work on a retirement visa.
I know you are too old to understand or grasp many things but if a women is pregnant, her husband will often say "we" are having a baby. The truth is he is not having anything.
People even say "we " won the football on the weekend. This does not mean they actually played, it is simply an expression.
I can not see me going to prison for using the word "we". Agreed...unless you are complicit in helping to do something illegal.
As a small thought have you contacted the Queen so she can send you a message for your birthday next year. They no longer send telegrams when a person turns 100.
I don't have any connection to the Queen...is she a 100? If so....I might send a telegram.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
If you still have interest in Lovina, I would be happy to help with any questions you might have.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur

So it seems I will be sent to prison because of a spelling mistake. Now that is going to look very bad on my criminal record. It will make the existing list look insignificant.