Best VPN for watching tv

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Does anyone have a recommendation for a VPN with Australian IPs? Also if it works with Netflix that would be great also.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Does anyone have a recommendation for a VPN with Australian IPs? Also if it works with Netflix that would be great also.

I thought we more or less covered the issue of sites like Netflix blocking ISP addresses (and various VPNs) to get around geo-blocking. It is still a game of whack-a-mole and likely to continue until…?

I’ve been using IpVanish for a couple of years and find it works well for me. Currently, it has 58 servers in Sydney and two in Melbourne. I’m not interested in Netflix, etc, so can’t say if it works for that. Just like I don’t know if any VPNs these days can do that. (Some did/do for a while, then don’t, then do again.)

Someone here recently was suggesting getting a VPN in order to watch Australia Plus TV. My understanding is that Australia Plus TV is not available in Australia, so I can't see how connecting to an Australian server would do anything.

Reactions: spicyayam

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Someone here recently was suggesting getting a VPN in order to watch Australia Plus TV. My understanding is that Australia Plus TV is not available in Australia, so I can't see how connecting to an Australian server would do anything.

I think you're referring to me, but I'm not sure. Just in case, I wasn't suggesting watching Australia Plus over a VPN, I was suggesting using the FreeviewFV App over a VPN. See here: http://www.freeview.com.au/freeviewfv/

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I think you're referring to me, but I'm not sure. Just in case, I wasn't suggesting watching Australia Plus over a VPN, I was suggesting using the FreeviewFV App over a VPN. See here: http://www.freeview.com.au/freeviewfv/

Yeah – that’s OK (I think), if it works for you. I don’t use tablets much for watching stuff so I don’t know how the app for iOS/Android works. Learn something new every day.

Sometimes I invoke my VPN on my tablet and can watch lots of programs from Australia (or other places). How successful that is depends on which server I choose from my VPN choices. Most of the times no problems.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I just downloaded the Opera browser that has a built in VPN. Seems to work well but I haven't done much with it but I'm thinking that may be the wave of the future.

hecta

Sep 22, 2013
I thought we more or less covered the issue of sites like Netflix blocking ISP addresses (and various VPNs) to get around geo-blocking. It is still a game of whack-a-mole and likely to continue until…?

I’ve been using IpVanish for a couple of years and find it works well for me. Currently, it has 58 servers in Sydney and two in Melbourne. I’m not interested in Netflix, etc, so can’t say if it works for that. Just like I don’t know if any VPNs these days can do that. (Some did/do for a while, then don’t, then do again.)

I have to disagree with you JC. In Brisbane I watch ABC24 which is the same as Australia Plus, in Papua.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
I just downloaded the Opera browser that has a built in VPN. Seems to work well but I haven't done much with it but I'm thinking that may be the wave of the future.

The Opera browser is pretty good, but it's not really a VPN (it's a proxy server) and it doesn't work for applications outside of the browser. So you might be able to watch Netflix directly through the browser but it'll never work for a dedicated Netflix app that's outside of it.

Also, it only works for a limited amount of countries. Not Australia, unfortunately.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Folks I've never got the Netflix thing really - why pay for stuff you can download for free? My problem is I haven't got the time to watch all the shit I've downloaded, like back in the good old VCR days. I had scads of tapes with great shows on them. It just seemed the minute I had them taped I no longer felt like watching them kinda like if you live somewhere nice but never go see the stuff others come from all over to see - someday, someday, never...

Reactions: Billt4SF

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
I have to disagree with you JC. In Brisbane I watch ABC24 which is the same as Australia Plus, in Papua.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that ABC24 is the same as Australia Plus. I already have the latter so it doesn't matter to me.

:)

Reactions: hecta

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013

Rayrayzaray

Sep 23, 2012
Any info on First Media X ?
Dont watch a lot of tv while in Bali but have a netflix account in oz and they only bill me for the time i spend in jasri as an xtra .
Checked out first media x streaming and they do Australiaplus as well as other channels for under 300k per month but don't know if that would include Afl/Nrl .

Ryan_Stevens

Nov 15, 2017
Hello @spicyayam when I faced the same issue in Australia while accessing Netflix, then I came across the website where guidance about Nord VPN is simply amazing. Following their guidance, I downloaded Nord, and that worked great with Netflix. Hope it will also help you

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Ryan_Stevens (and welcome here).
There is a lot of misinformation regarding “best VPNs” for this or that. Understandable because it’s a complex topic for many people. For example, even the “simply amazing” site you went to has inaccuracies and/or biases. Most sites like that one are similar. Use a search engine to look for “best vpns” and you might get even more confused.

When it comes to which VPN can deal with Netflix, it gets more confusing. Netflix keeps fighting back. ExpressVPN does still have some servers that aren’t blocked (yet), but finding out which ones can be difficult. Obviously they’re not going to list them publicly. Same goes for IPVanish and probably some others.

...Following their guidance, I downloaded ExpressVPN, and that worked great with Netflix.

So, is it still working for you?

clayvligon

May 15, 2018
I use NordVPN as a weapon of my choice for streaming netflix. I once traveled to Sydney and Nord worked flawlessly. If you want it learn more about it then read this article on Best VPN as I made my choice by reading this.

Billt4SF

Aug 4, 2014
I also use Nord successfully for Netflix and the like.

I have something called YonderTV which works great for watching US sports, but I'm not sure if it would be any help with Australian sports.

- Bill

DougalGeorge

Aug 17, 2018
I also use Nord successfully for Netflix and the like.

I have something called YonderTV which works great for watching US sports, but I'm not sure if it would be any help with Australian sports.

- Bill
Agreed! NordVPN is working fine. I did use PIA before but unable to watch it in US then I switched to NordVPN after doing some research. Especially, its SmartPlay feature is perfect for streaming.

Last edited: