funlovingcorrell

Sep 15, 2016
Australia
Hi everyone. Planning to go visit Bali this December with the whole family.

We are going a Bali holiday and our main concern now is if December is best for us or too crowded or bad timing? It's for 2 weeks visit, and if you have suggestion for any family-friendly activity or place too, is much appreciated.

Cheers!

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi FLC and welcome.
I hate to burst your bubble but Bali is very overcrowded around Xmas and New Year due to the Australian school holidays. The hotel prices are higher, the touristy restaurants need reservations and most airline tickets are expensive in the build-up to the holidays.
Also...it's the rainy season and humid and muggy. The storms can be frightening....although usually short-lived. July and August has much nicer weather...generally, although this year seemed to be an exception.
Before I moved to Bali I used to visit from Jakarta and would always look for flights after 7 January when everything becomes quieter and cheaper.

funlovingcorrell

Sep 15, 2016
Australia
thanks mate. a friend mentioned same bout holiday crowd. i suppose not very ideal for a family trip? initial plan was to spend Christmas and New Year overseas. you think it's best we consider another destination? family has started looking for Bali tours out of excitement lol...and just hate to break their hearts even tho we are still in decision phase.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't come to Bali as there are a lot of things to do and see...its not all beach, bars and boutiques...but there are crowds everywhere over Xmas.

As far as going elsewhere with your family I'll leave that to others to help. I'm a senior and what I'd be interested in may not compare with a family vacation. My wife and I like to take a cruise...we are on one from Singapore to Hong Kong just before Xmas.

One thing I am aware is that Vietnam is very open to the tourist market....maybe take a look at what they offer a family.

Last edited:

funlovingcorrell

Sep 15, 2016
Australia
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't come to Bali as there is a lot of things to do and see...its not all beach, bars and boutiques...but there are crowds everywhere over Xmas.

As far as going elsewhere with your family I'll leave that to others to help. I'm a senior and what I'd be interested in may not compare with a family vacation. My wife and I like to take a cruise...we are on one from Singapore to Hong Kong just before Xmas.

One thing I am aware is that Vietnam is very open to the tourist market....maybe take a look at what they offer a family.

yes of course! thanks mate!

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Just do it.
It will be busier, hotels more expensive etc
Book now with free cancellation.
You will still enjoy albeit a bit more expensive but still a lot cheaper than an Australian domestic holiday.
Davita uses a Zimmer frame so being busier really affects him so he goes to Jakarta at Christmas (which is even busier )

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
thanks mate. a friend mentioned same bout holiday crowd. i suppose not very ideal for a family trip? initial plan was to spend Christmas and New Year overseas. you think it's best we consider another destination? family has started looking for Bali tours out of excitement lol...and just hate to break their hearts even tho we are still in decision phase.

All the popular spots in SE Asia are crowded and more expensive over the xmas to new year period. So no reason not to come to Bali, as you would find the same in other places.

GAN-Tourism

Aug 3, 2016
Hi FLC and welcome.
I hate to burst your bubble but Bali is very overcrowded around Xmas and New Year due to the Australian school holidays. The hotel prices are higher, the touristy restaurants need reservations and most airline tickets are expensive in the build-up to the holidays.
Also...it's the rainy season and humid and muggy. The storms can be frightening....although usually short-lived. July and August has much nicer weather...generally, although this year seemed to be an exception.
Before I moved to Bali I used to visit from Jakarta and would always look for flights after 7 January when everything becomes quieter and cheaper.

there's a way to avoid the expensive hotel; why don't you try to rent a villa with local people; its not so expensive, reasonable price.

BestofBali

Nov 9, 2016
Kerobokan
Peak seasons more expensive generally and off peak season is cheaper generally but the weather can disrupt activities

Here's the average rainfall for Bali (from 2013)

weather-in-bali.jpg