Best courier for sending small package to Bali? DHL? FedEx? UPS?

TigerLibra

Dec 26, 2012
I need to send a small package with a few personal effects (shirt, shorts, googles) to Bali from the US.
Recommendations for best service to use? DHL? UPS? FedEx?
Thank you.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't think it maters much which service. Be careful you don't get stung by customs with import fees. The customs fees can often be higher than the actual goods. It is probably not worth the money to send personal effects and just buy whatever you need in Bali.

Reactions: matsaleh and tel522

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Regarding customs and import fees. Attached shows the charges for receiving xmas gifts last December here in Bali (mostly clothing at modest value). As you can see there are now 8 line items that hard working custom officers can assign monetary value to. There is no explanation to how the different charges came about - You need to show up at POS Indo office to find out the details. Item No 4 (BMTPS) is in this case an extra import duty to mostly protect local textile and shoe manufacturer. So in summary importing clothing (or shoes) is rather costly as I ended up paying 380k for clothing (xmas gifts) valued under 500k. UPS/DHL/FedEx may have different handling fees than POS Indo.

Attachments

• POS Indo import.png
    POS Indo import.png
    799.6 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: spicyayam

TigerLibra

Dec 26, 2012
Thank you all.
A friend who does this frequently highly recommended DHL.
(and said to avoid FedEx due to bad practices there…)

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Christmas gifts received one week late and wrapping ripped apart as is the standard.

Usually it is added around 30% to specified value. This year customs added around 70% to the specified value.
Apparently there was introduced a requirement last year to include receivers tax number NPWP as well. If not, things confiscated or taxed PPh 20% (instead of 10%).

This is the last year I accept any "gifts" from overseas!

Reactions: Fred2