Basa Bali lessons??

lientje

Oct 25, 2006
Australia/Bali
G'day,

My name is Paulien. I'm a newbie with this forum. Great to be part of it!!
:D

I have a question about learning Basa Bali:

Does anybody out there know where I might be able to learn Basa Bali in Bali...as in lessons? I am really embarrassed that my grasp on the language is so limited. I will be starting to kerja-sama with a Yayasan in December this year (plan for up to 3 years).

The Yayasan work will involve visiting many people in remote areas. I would love to be able to talk with more poeple by being better at speaking Basa Bali, but despite over 10 years love affair with the island, I rely too much on Bhs Indonesia. :oops:

Although I realise that the best way to learn is just to start speaking it as much as possible...a boost in the right direction (ie some more 'formal' lessons) would be magic.... :wink:

Would be grateful for any suggestions!

"Paulien

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
I can speak a fair bit of bahasa bali kasar I learned from my balinese wife. What was also of great help was my little bahasa bali kamus "BALINESE GRAMMAR DIGEST"by N.Shadeg My ones falling apart from constant use.Printed 1992 Sadly I did hear mr N Shadeg passed away early this year . if you can find a copy of this great little book it will be of great help

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
Its my wifes we have had it since we met .I 'd like to get a new one too. About 3 years ago I saw a copy's for sale at super nova kuta up stairs in the book secton wish I'd got another then!!! :cry: :lol: :lol:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Paulien, welcome to the forum. Since you are already proficient in Bahasa Indonesia, it should be easy enough for you to secure a tutor to learn Bahasa Bali. Your observation that Bahasa Bali may be an added advantage to communicate with local Balinese in remote areas is well understood. I only wonder to what extent is it necessary

Today, in the more populated and economically strong areas of Bali, the need for Bahasa Balinese is at best questionable, as all but the very oldest Balinese is proficient in Bahasa Indonesia. Moreover, the language of Bahasa Indonesia is far more useful in communicating, as the vocabulary is much more exhaustive, and as a result, so are the opportunities to be expressive.

I don’t want to leave the impression that learning Bahasa Bali is a waste of time. I only question the necessity of learning it. I also should point out that I have nothing less than the highest regard for those westerners that have taken the time, applied themselves, and learned Bahasa Bali.

To add another insight, I have never met another non Balinese Indonesian who has taken up the task of learning Bahasa Bali, nor a Balinese who conversely took the time to learn Bahasa Java. Surely, there are exceptions...I just haven’t met one yet.

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
I love my basa bali and the accceptance it gives me in some situations but maybe thats just my ego talking. If I did not take on learning basa bali My indonesian language skill could be much better now

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
One of my wifes cousins in bali married a fellow from central lombok he can speak balinese so well that out in every day bali no one can tell My wifes cousin can now speak a fair amount of bahasa sasak as well

lientje

Oct 25, 2006
Australia/Bali
Thank you for your replies - Bukit, Charlie and Roy,

Yep, Roy - it would be perfectly easy to live in Bali and not speak Balinese...or even Indonesian, for that matter. There are plenty of people living in Bali who choose or are forced by circumstance to do just that. I guess that's one thing about living in Bali - we are all afforded that option.

Bukit, I agree - although there are a great number of non-Balinese Indonesians in Bali who do not speak fluent Balinese, I also know plenty who do...and of my Balinese friends who live in other parts of Indonesia, many of them can make themselves understood in the other local language. Of my Balinese friends in Australia...well, all of them speak and understand English (Aussie English at that...though like fellow travelling Australians, I'm sure they would have to un-learn a bit of that to be understood anywhere else!) :lol:

For my part, I know the areas I will be visiting, and Indonesian is not regularly spoken in these parts, so instead of having everything interpreted for me I would love to be able to sit down and have a good yarn with the people I will be seeing.

Aside from the desire to learn Balinese for this reason, I look forward to the day I can sit down with my partner's family, my friends, colleagues and take in more of what is going on. It will be great not to have to have jokes explained to me...and I know there's heaps of juicy gossip I am missing out on! I reckon my appreciation of wayang kulit and dramatic performances will also improve...

It will be easier for me to relate to people and for them to feel more at ease with me. I know my Balinese friends would love it if I learnt to speak the lingo.

I also find that in learning a language, I learn a lot of cultural stuff (implicit and explicit) that really helps in the big (and small) scheme of things, and I look forward to learning more and more about this place and the people I love and respect.

Anyway - got lotsa reasons to learn the lingo (and a copy of the same dictionary you speak of, Bukit - thanks for the reminder, I shall remember to pack it!)

Would still love to get into some Balinese language lessons if anyone is interested in teaching!

lientje

bukit

Aug 4, 2006
Australia
Yes its great to be able to understand the jokes and village gossip the balinese have such a great sense of humour and fun and I would miss that with out basa bali.

lientje

Oct 25, 2006
Australia/Bali
:)

Here's hoping it won't be long before I can join in the fun... :wink:

Thanks for your replies Bukit, I'm even more inspired now having read them.

lientje

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hmmm, it never occurred to me to learn a foreign language just to keep up with the local jokes, especially a language which has three distinct levels. Good luck with your studies. A private tutor would be a good way to go, and a “sleeping dictionary” even better! :oops:

Ilu

Jul 27, 2006
Norland Norway, Banjar Bali
I can realy relate to that you want to learn bahasa bali. I speak a little bahasa indonesia, the problem is eveybodey speak bahasa bali in my husbands village, I dont understand anything and have to ask all the time what they talking about. the problem to learn the language is the 3 levels. when I learn something I dont know who I can say that to, I have to use different level all the time so I have given up. :oops:

Irislahay

Apr 10, 2004
France, Bali now
Hi Ilu,

It was happened before with my husband. Now he can understand balinese, even sometimes misunderstanding with some balinese words that are the same like Indonesian but different meaning (he's fluent in Indonesian). Well Ilu, if you just want to understand and more communicatif in your husband's village, I suggest you to learn Balinese Kapara. But if your husband have kasta, better you learn Balinese Sor Singgih...

Regards,

Iris