Baptism certificates for wedding?

Tomos

Apr 10, 2006
Bali
Hi there everyone, I hope you don't mind me coming straight in and asking this but I'm in need of some quite urgent help.

I am marrying my Indonesian fiancee at the end of this month and we are having trouble finding someone in Bali to carry out a quick and easy Baptism to obtain the required documents.

I am English and my wife to be is from Probolingo in East Java. We live in Bali but we are having the wedding in East Java. We could get the Baptism done over there but it means a journey all the way there for a Baptism 10 days before the wedding.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sorry, but I am confused. Is it your fiancé who is converting to Christian and it is she to be baptized? Catholic or protestant? Normally, conversion to Catholicism requires quite a bit more than just being baptized.

Anyway, have you tried contacting the Catholic and other Christian churches in Denpasar? The Bali Advertiser usually lists them, or get a copy of any of the Bali Travel Guides.

Good luck to you both.

Tomos

Apr 10, 2006
Bali
Re: RE: Baptism certificates for wedding?

Roy said:
Sorry, but I am confused. Is it your fiancé who is converting to Christian and it is she to be baptized? Catholic or protestant? Normally, conversion to Catholicism requires quite a bit more than just being baptized.

Anyway, have you tried contacting the Catholic and other Christian churches in Denpasar? The Bali Advertiser usually lists them, or get a copy of any of the Bali Travel Guides.

Good luck to you both.

Thanks for the suggestions, Roy. I've had a look in the latest Bali Advertiser but couldn't find a list, I'll have another look.

We both need to get Baptised. My fiancee is converting and I just need to go through the ritual to get the paperwork due to my not being previously Baptised or Christened.

We are having a Pentecostal wedding in Java at the end of this month, not Catholic. I've heard that going down the Catholic route takes a lot of time and effort and we just need the paperwork to satisfy the Vicar and the authorities that we are of the same religion...

Thanks again,

T.

ColinF

Jan 12, 2006
Why do you need to satisfy the authorities that you're the same religion? You don't have to be! My wife is Muslim and I am Christian, we were married here on Bali in a Protestant church, plus the required "civil" marriage in the Catatan Sipil, and the only papers I needed to produce were my divorce decree and the letter from the British Embassy confirming my freedom to marry. We certainly were not required to produce baptism certificates or for either of us to convert!
You used to be able to obtain a list of the required documentation for marriage to an Indonesian from the consular office. Could be still available.

Tomos

Apr 10, 2006
Bali
Re: RE: Baptism certificates for wedding?

ColinF said:
Why do you need to satisfy the authorities that you're the same religion?

Simply put, because the law here says so and so does the vicar at the church we are getting married in. I'm very surprised that you managed to get married without the required paperwork. If you have the contact details for the church you were married in, please can you pass them on to me?

I received this from the British Consulate in Bali which explains what is needed.

GENERAL GUIDE ON MARRIAGE FORMALITIES IN INDONESIA

General Criteria Under the Indonesian Marriage law of 1 October 1974.

A marriage may only be contracted if the man has reached the age of
19, and the woman the age of 16.

If a person has not reached the age of 21, the consent of both his (or
her) parents is required.

If one of the parents has died or is incapable of stating his (or her)
will, the consent of only one parent is required. If both parents are
deceased or are incapable, consent can be obtained from either the
guardian or a close family relative or friend.

For a Moslem woman whose previous marriage has been dissolved, there
should be a waiting period of 100 days before a second marriage can be
contracted.

Anyone planning to marry in Indonesia must give notice of their
intention to the registrar of Marriage in the district where the
marriage is to be performed - at least 10 working days prior to the
marriage (the address of the Civil Registry offices in Jakarta and Bali
are on page 3).

Two witnesses are required.

A "letter of no objection to marriage" must be obtained from the
Embassy of the foreign national concerned for presentation to the
district Civil Registry Office (Catatan Sipil) before the wedding. (See
para. 3 overleaf for details.)

Documents required by the Indonesian authorities .

The following documents (original only) must be produced to the
Indonesian authorities by the parties contracting the marriage:

Full birth certificates and passport.

Details of names, religion / faith (such as baptismal certificates),
occupation and domicile of both parties.

Written parental consent, if required (see above).

Death certificate of former spouse, where relevant.

Decree absolute divorce certificate, where relevant. The previous
marriage certificate is also required, unless the parties were divorced
in a UK court.

And for those who are resident and working in Indonesia:

Tax clearence.

Police book.

KITAS card (previously known as KIM (s) card)

Letter from employer.

Work permit.

Two photographs (4 x 6 cms).

Documents required by the Indonesian Authorities from the British
Consulate General :
The Indonesian authorities require all foreign nationals planning to
marry in Indonesia, to obtain "a letter of no objection to marriage"
from their national Embassy before the wedding. For us to issue this
letter, British citizens must call personally at this Consulate General
to swear an affidavit (oath) that they are free to marry. They must
bring with them their current valid passport and, if married before,
their original divorce decree absolute certificate. Once the oath has
been taken, the letter of no objecton will be produced and handed over
immediately. The current fee for this service is £ 76.00. We can only
accept rupiah cash for our services. (Please note that fees are subject
to change at any time).

It is not necessary to make an appointment for this service at the
British Consulate General in Jakarta.

This Service is available at the British Consulates on Bali and in
Surabaya but strictly by appointment.

ColinF

Jan 12, 2006
Dahlia, I can assure you, we have been legally married 14 years and have the Indonesian documents to prove it. No-one objected, not even the official in the Catatan Sipil who conducted the "civil" marriage and signed the marriage certificate.....the one person guaranteed to require a little "encouragement money" had things not been correct!

Colin.

ColinF

Jan 12, 2006
Tomos, we provided all those documents mentioned, except a letter from my employer was not required, written parental consent was not required (we both being over 21) and the details of names, religion/faith etc was simply an entry on the document we completed and signed at the Catatan Sipil, nobody asked for any certificates etc. The official there did, however, make a point of telling us that we should not be living together as we were not married until he said so - even though we had gone through the church ceremony a couple of weeks previous. So we had to quickly come up with an alternate address for one of us for the purposes of the form!

Colin.