Bali Villa Sales

Villas of Bali ™ is the trusted real estate company that offers the most beautiful villas for sale on Bali. Visit our experienced and helpful staff in our office in Seminyak, or search the extensive villa listing online at www.balivillasales.com, providing the most exclusive properties for sale. Villas of Bali ™ stands for quality, integrity and trust. We help you save time and money, while providing you peace of mind of your property related needs. Send us an email to info@villasofbali.com, or call us at +62 878 6249 3526.

1. Welcome Guest to the new look Balipod. If you are an existing member, just sign up with your usual username/password. Any problems you can post them here
    Dismiss Notice

Banking Savings and Term Deposits

Discussion in 'Bali Expat Forum' started by tcollins, Apr 18, 2017.

1. tcollins

tcollins Member

Hi All

Can anyone share their advice/ experience with interest earned from savings/ term deposits at Indo banks?

I am currently with Permatta just for a general transaction account, but have seen some reasonably decent interest rates for short term deposits.

Main question is how 'safe' is your money at most of these banks (I am assuming fine but just curious), and how the taxation works for foreigners- do the banks just take tax out automatically?

Not thinking of investing huge amounts of life savings or anything like that, but interested in something small given that interest rates here look a lot better than Australia.

Thanks

#1 tcollins, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. davita

davita Well-Known Member

It is as safe as your bank and, if within the Gov't declared interest rates, is insured.
    The standard withholding tax is 20%. If you decide to become taxable in RI, and file annually, that withholding can be adjusted according to your taxable rates.
    I personally don't file and accept the 20% tax on the interest gained...and I invest a considerable amount in IDR to pay bills.

3. tcollins

tcollins Member

Thanks for that.

Can I ask what bank you are with, and what savings or term deposit rates and timeframes you have found work best?

Thanks

4. davita

davita Well-Known Member

I'm with HSBC Premier...not a local bank.
    All banks advertise different rates and some of the local rakyat (peoples) banks are higher than the main named banks, but, imo, can be riskier.
    The rates and terms constantly change...just shop around.