tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Hi All

My family and I are looking to move to bali for 12 months next year, and I am getting my head around all of the costs that will be involved.

One thing I have read on a number of occasions is a mention to Banjar fees or donations. From what I understand these are paid to the local village to help others as well as contribute to upkeep of the area.

I have also read that for some people it includes security for their property.

Can someone please let me know what rules (if any) there are around this practice, and if this is something that would be included in rent by Realestate Agent if we were there only for 12 months?

Thanks

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Originally 5 years ago I had to pay the princely sum of IDR500k/year to my Banjar. In the mean time that has gone up t 800k. This is to cover temple maintenance and whatever else they want to spend it on.

It's never been an issue here but I've heard others get upset about it but as I often spend more on beer in a week so whahooo!

tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks for that.

It there a particular way this is paid/ collected?

Would a real-estate agent do it on our behalf, or is it as simple as someone knocking on our front door each month?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The guys from the banjar come around every year to collect and have a nice chat - they've started sending the only guy who has English too so it makes if interesting for all.

A small word of advice:
If you intend to live and be happy here on Bali never, ever get someone to "do it on our behalf" if it can possibly be avoided, the price skyrockets and you will not be respected. Of course if money and respect in your chosen home don't matter then "anchors-away!".

tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks for the advice.

Would definitely want to be doing something like this ourselves to be as much a part of the community as possible.

Cheers

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I pay 20k a month for Banjar fees . my lease states I pay the Bnjar and optional garbage collection fees

tcollins

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks for that.

Sorry for the silly question- what is an "optional" garbage collection fee? Is there some other way to have garbage removed?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
many garbage companies to chose from in my area . A few houses even burn thiers . your choice I would imagine .