balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Southern Bali will get its own bus network with dedicated bus lanes before the end of the month, an official said on Wednesday.

Based on the TransJakarta busway, the Trans Sarbagita busway will begin operating on a trial basis at the end of the month, said Made Santha, head of the Bali Transportation, Information and Communication Office.

The name Sarbagita, Santha said, was derived from the names of the main districts and cities served by the network: Denpasar city, Badung district, Gianyar district and city and Tabanan district and city. “In the first trial run, the route will be from the Batu Bulan terminal in Gianyar to Nusa Dua in Badung,” he said.

A total of 15 buses — with capacities of 20 and 40 passengers — have been prepared for the Trans Sarbagita network, which will comprise 17 routes.

Fares will be the similar to those on the TransJakarta network, though students will receive a discount on the Trans Sarbagita. Adults will pay Rp 3,500 (41 cents) and students Rp 2,500.

Santha said he hoped that the new network would be able to help alleviate congestion on the streets used by the buses.

Bali’s Traffic-Clogged Streets Soon to Get Relief From New Bus Network | The Jakarta Globe

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
:icon_lol: 15 busses on 17 routes ? Seperate buslane ?

Well, you can see the bus stops being prepared - and for sure on this route down the By-Pass there is no separate bus lane unless they are prepared to ban all other traffic from the left hand lane for the benefit of one bus every so often (maybe 20 min). But if they did that how could they possibly "alleviate congestion on the streets used by the buses"

It would be interesting to see this Santha try and defend the accuracy of his press release.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
Why would they bother with it, as most use a motorbike without a license, so there is no incentive to use any form of public transport...even if they had some to offer...as for students..ha ha, they ride a motorbike to school from the age of 10, so they would never swap that for waiting for a bus.

julias.andre

Jul 28, 2011
Denpasar Bali
i think that's not really give what peoples need, agree with ronb there is no separate line for the bus so another publik transport (without passenger) cause more traffic jammed.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu
i think that's not really give what peoples need, agree with ronb there is no separate line for the bus so another publik transport (without passenger) cause more traffic jammed.

I totally agree, just what we need, more bloody buses on small roads.Even worse would be a bus stopping on the Bypass...chaos

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In all fairness buses do get a lot of people off the roads. So now we can expect only 3 people on every bike instead of the usual 4 or 5 so don't be so negative:icon_biggrin:

Course the number of bikes won't go down.

sooze

Jul 10, 2007
Morley-Western Australia
I went on the bus from KFC to Galleria. Took 30 mins. Buses go every 15 mins. I was impressed. Can go to Lotte and Carrefore. And also Ace Kuta, for all those who wanna club on and cut thru with a walk. Air con, music, comfy seats. I'm off to do it again next week. 3500 rups, no matter where u go. Good value. Plus they do have priority. Beep the horn, they much bigger and everyone moves.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I think 3500 is still rich for most locals, considering the price of petrol and the fact that a whole family can be transported on one bike I'm not sure who the bus system is really catering for. Maybe the elderly or tourists?.

How many people were riding the bus?

Andani

Nov 9, 2011
Well I guess this program is to encourage people who used to use their personal vehicle before the traffic jam become as worse as in Jakarta Consider this, at least the government do something to overcome the traffic jam in Bali

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
the buses seem to be going pretty well i always see people waiting in the stops and see alot of the buses around picking up the people. A bit surprising but in a good way of coarse