balinews

Feb 14, 2010
The small island of Bali is predicted to reach saturation point, when it will no longer be able to accommodate more visitors due to its limited carrying capacity, resources and space.

I Nyoman Sukma Arida, a lecturer at Udayana University’s School of Tourism, said Bali currently had to carry the heavy burden of various development projects, along with rapid modernization in people’s lives.

“There have been crucial changes in Balinese culture and the lives of its people due to the flood of tourists and tourism development,” Arida said.

Bali is becoming crowded, with a population exceeding 4 million, as well as the huge influx of 4 million foreign tourists and around 6 million local visitors vacationing on the island each year.

“Massive exploitation of water and food resources is taking place,” he said.

A study revealed that one occupied hotel room in Badung regency, the island’s richest regency, required 1,500 liters of water per day, far above the average per capita demand for clean water of only 120 liters per day.

The Bali Hotel Association recently revealed its member hotels needed 50,000 cubic meters of clean water every day.

Population and tourism growth has also affected the island’s agricultural areas, which are vanishing to make way for various residential and tourism developments.

Arida said there were some proposals to find solutions to Bali’s social, economic, cultural and environmental problems.

“Bali has proposed the implementation of a special autonomous government system, in which the province would receive a special funding allocation from the central government to manage its government and its resources,” he said.

“But representatives of the Balinese government and society failed to convince the central government of the urgency to implement special regional autonomy, which was expected to curb uncontrolled development programs and to preserve the island’s culture and nature.”

Bali is reaching saturation as tourist hub | The Jakarta Post

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
A study revealed that one occupied hotel room in Badung regency, the island’s richest regency, required 1,500 liters of water per day, far above the average per capita demand for clean water of only 120 liters per day.

Frickin hell, 1,500 liters a day per hotel room!

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
“Bali has proposed the implementation of a special autonomous government system, in which the province would receive a special funding allocation from the central government to manage its government and its resources,” he said.

“But representatives of the Balinese government and society failed to convince the central government of the urgency to implement special regional autonomy, which was expected to curb uncontrolled development programs and to preserve the island’s culture and nature.”

I can guess why, anybody who knows how to apply for IMB/building permit would know that the local Village and Camat even have to approve any building permit before the regency office says yes to the permit.
So they actually have the power to rejected anything being built in their neighborhood :icon_wink:

Now they are saying that the local Govt need more funds but they want to say everything built until now was the central govt faults and they need more money and power? :icon_rolleyes:

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
1500L per day per room...wonder who did that study and what parameters they used to come up with that number...

Thats near 8 44 gallon drums....hard to believe...cannot believe actually, thats silly figures unless they are averaging the whole hotel usage, garden, pool, laundry, kitchen etc and sharing that among the rooms....I guess thats how they have to do it, not just what the guest uses within the room to flush the dyke and take a shower etc.

Anyway, got our last months water bill for our farm....circa 20 cents....but we dun have a flush toilet there....or flash

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
My waterbill averages around 35,ooo a month.

I wonder how much longer it will take before Bali starts building higher.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
My water bill is Gratis
My Drinking water( from "gallon " and small bottles is about 75,000 a month
My Bintang bill for home use is cheap only 275,000 a week :icon_cool:

klaatu

Mar 14, 2014
Blimbingsari banyuwangi and Denpasar
My water bill is Gratis
My Drinking water( from "gallon " and small bottles is about 75,000 a month
My Bintang bill for home use is cheap only 275,000 a week :icon_cool:
Drinking water also gratis just gas for boiling or Ibu boils on the most stinky noxious firewood I have ever choked on..plus a really high electricity bill this month '150,000' for 2 households coz we got a washing machine and Indo's love clean clothes,Doesn't make any difference to me,I always stink,clean or not!

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
How will "higher" effect the water bills - other than pumping it up?

My building higher remark wasn't related to water but the first sentence of the article which says;

The small island of Bali is predicted to reach saturation point, when it will no longer be able to accommodate more visitors due to its limited carrying capacity, resources and space.

At one moment Bali will have to start building up in my opinion.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
i think it " town" water.however i have a holding tank and a pump that is on a timer. never had a water problem yet anf my maids use the washing machine every other day.

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
My building higher remark wasn't related to water but the first sentence of the article which says;

At one moment Bali will have to start building up in my opinion.

Does Bali have a height restriction or something ?

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
yes, I think it's 12 meters but many developers push this limit and sometimes are forced to shave of a floor after officials find out that what is being build is not the same as on the building permit. Building in Bali is a whole different topic ;-)

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Thats actually a pretty good rule to have in for a whole island.

Phuket has or had something along the same and from memory Vanuatu had no higher than the highest coconut tree...they be might technical over there...or mighty laid back..