Bali peace park agrees on $4.9 million dollar purchase price

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
The Australian Government should foot the bill. It’s way too expensive I don’t doubt but the vendor can see how to play the heart strings of the Australian Government and of course the victims families. Given the money being thrown around by all parties in the current election $4.9 mil is just a drop in the bucket.
Pay for the land, build a memorial and all move on.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
There is already a memorial with names so don"t see why the Australian government needs to pay for a park. Not seen anything in the papers in Melbourne.
I will find some old photo's of the site.

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
I agree with Fred. The cost of the land will pale into insignificance once the building of the memorial starts. The design team will of course come from Australia. As will the engineers, the construction costs, the upkeep, swarms of inspectors looking at each stage, the junkets of Pollies plus families inspecting the progress of each stage all having to stay in 5 star hotels. Then of course if and when it is eventually built at an undoubted massive cost overrun of millions it will become a beacon for graffiti and a monument of the success for the Terrorists who caused it all in the first place.
It was an unmitigated tragedy and should be remembered as such. The memorial says it simply and with respect.

Reactions: matsaleh

Foamcrest

Jun 11, 2016
There seems to be a fortune to be made out of death! Any funeral in Australia starts at about $10,000, even in Bali a simple cremation is expensive in comparison to income. We are spending another $550 million to extend the War Memorial in Canberra. Yet I live on the Northern Beaches of Sydney and we have had to close one hospital and downgrade a second due to lack of funds. We did build a new $600 million hospital to compensate,which nobody can get to, but then it was sold it to the Canadians?