Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
INDONESIA has announced plans to execute six people this weekend and in an ominous statement has said that two Australians on death row will be executed once both have had their clemency rejected.

So far Myuran Sukumaran’s clemency plea has been rejected but Andrew Chan has yet to receive any answer.

Last night the Indonesian Attorney-General HM Prasetyo said that six death row inmates will face firing squads on Sunday. Five of them are foreigners — from Brazil, Nigeria, Malawi, Vietnam and Holland and one is from Indonesia.

The Brazilian, Marco Archer Cardoso Moerira, has already been moved and isolated at a prison on Nusa Kambangan Island, off the coast of Central Java. It is believed the others have as well and late yesterday an Islamic preacher and a priest went to the prison to spend time with the condemned. Five of those to die are men and one is a woman, a female on drugs charges.

Five of the executions will take place simultaneously on Nusa Kambangan and the sixth person will be executed at Boyalali in Central Java.

It will be the first Indonesian executions conducted in more than a year and has sent terror throughout the prison populations, especially Kerobokan prison where 33-year-old Sukumaran and fellow convicted drug runner Andrew Chan are held.

Asked at a press conference in Jakarta specifically about Sukumaran’s case, Mr Prasetyo said that his clemency had been rejected.

“We are still waiting one other person that the clemency is yet to be issued for, Andrew Chan. When a crime is committed by more than one person, the execution will be conducted simultaneously ... When the clemency has been rejected, we will start to make plans to conduct the execution of them,” Mr Prasetyo said.

Sukumaran learned last week that his last chance at beating the firing squad had been denied when he was delivered a letter, signed by Indonesian President Joko Widodo, denying him clemency.

The letter was dated December 30 and was one of about a dozen presidential decrees signed by President Widodo, rejecting clemency pleas for drug and murder prisoners on death row.

The decision was a massive blow for Sukumaran and fellow Bali Nine member Andrew Chan, who for years have worked to rehabilitate themselves in the hope that it would bring them mercy and win them clemency.

Chan has applied for clemency but has not yet received an answer from the President.

After learning that his clemency had been denied, Sukumaran told News Corp Australia, through a friend, that living under the shadow of death was destroying him and his family but he vowed his spirit would not be broken.

“We have been living under the shadow of death for so long and it’s killing my family. It’s eating slowly. It's a miserable way to live. I feel completely lost about this decision and really don’t know.

“But I won’t let them break my spirit. I will keep doing what is right and at the end of the day when I stand before judgment I will be judged on who I am and what I’ve done.

“Me and Andrew lead a push for rehabilitation within this jail and changed the prison from within and they want to execute us? It doesn’t make sense.

“I know what I did was wrong. I am trying to make up for it. I live every day trying. I’ve pushed more than anyone to set up programs until the guards got sick of me asking.

“In the world of all the incarcerated people on drugs offences not one has worked harder than me to rehabilitate not just me but as many people around me. “

And his family in Sydney have been left devastated and bewildered, questioning the injustice of His mother, Raji, told News Corp in an exclusive interview that she is haunted by nightmares that she will not get to hold or hug her son one last time if he is executed.

And Mrs Sukumaran begged the Australian Prime Minister and Foreign Minister to try to save her son’s life.

There are 64 drug convicts on death row in Indonesia and the President recently announced a new hard line approach — their clemency would be denied and they will all be executed.

President Widodo said drugs were crippling the youth of his country.

Bali Nine: Andrew Chan, Myuran Sukumaran to be executed together

It still sends shivers down my spine when I try think about how they must feel everyday with the news is that they are on the list to be executed this year.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Just read the news that Andrew Chan married his Australian girl-friend in a ceremony at Nusa Kembangan yesterday. As she will likely be a widow by Wednesday...was there any point.
Do widows get Australian Old Age or superannuity pension plans?

Teabag

May 23, 2013
Bali Nine: Andrew Chan, Myuran Sukumaran to be executed together

It still sends shivers down my spine when I try think about how they must feel everyday with the news is that they are on the list to be executed this year.

They all knew it in advance, if you are gonna make drug deals in Indonesia, the death penalty may apply. It is even written at the airport on a big sign.

So they took the risk and they lost. Action and reaction, where is the problem ?

Regards
Teabag

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I can't understand why it takes so long to shoot drug dealers, is there a shortage of bullets in Indonesia? I was listening to a talk back radio station in Australia everyone said they are sick of the hole thing, why is the Australian government wasting so much time on drug dealers.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Fred2,

You took the words right out of my mouth. The overwhelming attitude here in Oz is just get it over and done with because everyone has had a gutfull of hearing about it. Of course there are a few bleeding hearts having a sook about the whole episode but in general there is little to no sympathy for them. Media outlets seem to be forgetting that these guys are dealers in death. Where is the pity for the unfortunate (and incredibly stupid) souls that are addicted to the filth they tried to profit from or the rest of us that have to keep everything nailed down or double locked so some lightfingered bastard doesn't turn our hard earned into their next hit. If only Indonesia applied the rule of law like this more consistently it mightn't be the basket case it is.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
The law of supply and demand prevails.
If there were no drug addicts wanting a supply there would be no demand.....QED no need for dealers.
Therefore....if there is a belief among the majority that the death penalty restrains smugglers......and the same principle holds.....why not execute the addicts and restrain them.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Re-reading my post #2 has made me think.....what happens to a life insurance policy if the insured is executed by the state?
I remember that a policy is invalid if death is by suicide but cannot recall the result of an execution...I don't have any policies to look at as my premiums now would have exceeded any pay-out when I die...those guys just love us that live for ever...:icon_twisted::angel:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I think a dead man cannot apply for his wife to come to Australia. would be a pretty boring interview. Imagine the happy photos to support the application, all taken in jail, would be easier to row to Australia.
An insurance company would not payout to someone kill as part of a illegal action.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I can only imagine what these guys are feeling. . . . .

I just feel so bad for Mary Jane. . I really hoped they would of pulled her out of the execution.

I just read that Jokowi has called an emergency meeting after the arrest of her recruiter. I really hope this poor girl is saved. .

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
This is how "justice" is applied in Indonesia! If only Sukumaran and Chan could have gathered $130,000 to buy the judges (but later, the cost was increased), they wouldn't be facing the firing squad today!

'They wanted $130,000 ... and then more': explosive Bali nine bribe allegations

PS. As for all of the "crocodile tears" shed by the Australian authorities, they should have thought about this BEFORE tipping the Indonesian authorities about these drug smugglers!

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012

It appears there is last minute evidence from the Philippines....so a stay on her execution was presented.
The French guy's execution was also stayed awaiting another appeal.
Last week the Indonesian defence lawyer said that the death sentence for the two Australians was in dispute with the judges and graft was involved. The AG asked for evidence.....but then had the Bali 2 shot.

Strange logic.

bakung

May 4, 2011
It appears there is last minute evidence from the Philippines....so a stay on her execution was presented.
Last week the Indonesian defence lawyer said that the death sentence for the two Australians was in dispute with the judges and graft was involved. The AG asked for evidence.....but then had the Bali 2 shot.

Strange logic.

Welcome to Bali :icon_question:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Welcome to Bali :icon_question:

Thanks for the welcome but I've been in Indonesia, and Bali, a number of years....:fatigue:

Anyway...I doubt if any Balinese were involved in decisions regarding the executions. This has all the hallmarks of political interference from Jakarta and the political parties in power. The Attorney General, who advises the government on affairs of justice, was a Deputy AG at the time the lawyer said there was a deal between himself and the judges, overturned at the government level with a request for more money, at the sentencing of the Australian citizens.

On another front...the debate that the Australian Federal Police (AFP) created this debacle is being revived since Freedom of Information (FoI) has uncovered that the AFP have significantly changed their policy of collaborating with Indonesia. This is after the AFP said it did nothing wrong in the Bali 9 case.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
MEGAwati is born on Bali and half Balinese...

Good try but not quite accurate.
Megawati was born to Sukarno and Fatmawati in Yogyakarta.
Fatmawati was born in Benkulu W. Java.
Sukarno was born in Surabaya but his mother came from Buleleng, Bali.

Last edited:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
ah thx for clarification - heard from many balinese that she's born on Bali

Well it is true that Megawati and the PDI-P party are popular in Bali for the reason that Sukarno's mother was a Brahmin (High Priest Caste) Hindu but, like lots of Balinese folklore, nothing much here is political...it's all up to the Gods and how many offerings are made.....or received..:distant:

Mark

Apr 19, 2004

Strange logic.

Not so sure the logic is strange davita... If there is an investigation into the judiciary for bribe taking etc., then some of these judges, who knows even those in very high places, many have uncomfortable problems and questions to answer, and no doubt the reputation of the country would be further tarnished. Two dead drug dealers tell no tales...case closed and the apparently lucrative life in the judiciary goes on as always.

On another note, while they did execute one local drug dealer, I haven't yet seen any press noting the hundreds or thousands of Indonesian drug dealers who, surely, must be on death row also????? Or not..... Maybe it's not so politically helpful to be in a rush to kill a lot of your own people who sell drugs but killing foreigners who cross the line seems to be a clear political winner... what a shame.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You are right Mark...not strange logic to the Indonesian legal and political system...maybe I should have clarified that.