Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
and I was told it starts

Also called:Sanur Kite Festival
Date:26 Jul 2014 - 28 Jul 2014
When:The Bali Kite Festival is held annually in late July.

as I say "only in Bali" lol

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If I promise not to go it will happen on time. Probably both dates - different festivals.

But thanks for the confusing info.

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
Situation normal at this time of year! I have found the safest bet is to ask several of the kitefliers at Mertasari Beach on a windy afternoon to find the correct date. The "Bali Kite Festival" is nearly always at Padang Galak and runs for 3 or 4 days covering a weekend. The Sanur Kite Festival is a different event and, although well worth a visit, is small compared to the Padang Galak event. If you have never been to one then I highly recommend it. Earplugs can be helpful as the PA system runs at maximum volume! These days, at least, there are many warungs for a snack and somewhere to sit out of the sun. Easiest access is walking North along the beach from the Grand Bali Beach Hotel.

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
Kitesurf Comp

Just to confuse you even more, the annual kitesurfing event "Hotair 2014" is on at the front of Sanur Beach Hotel 10-12 July 2014.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
My guess is that this is just a "typo" and that July 18 to 20 is correct........ I don't remember the event being as early as June......

I not even notice that but yes July june a big typo i would think also

xCookie st.

Jun 8, 2014
and I was told it starts

Also called:Sanur Kite Festival
Date:26 Jul 2014 - 28 Jul 2014
When:The Bali Kite Festival is held annually in late July.
as I say "only in Bali" lol

Yes, totally confused. If on a weekend it must be July 18-20...then again it could be 26-28 depending if it goes Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday? Any further info much appreciated.
Also what is the difference between the Bali Kite Fesitval and the Sanur Kite Festival?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Yes, totally confused. If on a weekend it must be July 18-20...then again it could be 26-28 depending if it goes Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday? Any further info much appreciated.
Also what is the difference between the Bali Kite Fesitval and the Sanur Kite Festival?

I usually confirm a few days before on any event incase of date changes etc.
bali and sanur are 2 festivals run in different locations is only difference i know of. the bali one if i recall is much much bigger

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just out of bland curiosity does anyone understand the details of this sport? I've watched before until my ears started bleeding from the loudspeaker system but was unable to verify why anyone had won or lost as both seemed to be able to get their kites to fly which in my book is a massive win right there - Charlie Brown school of kite flying alumni.

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
I agree with you about the sound system and it's one of the reasons I don't attend every year! There are four categories of kites:
BEBEAN which is the taller style with flapping "gills" on each side and reminiscent of a fish
PECUKAN which looks like the shape of a leaf and is probably the most difficult of all styles to balance and tune
JANGAN which always has a very long and colourful tail and is similar to the shape of a woman in a long sarong
CREASI BARU or New Creation which includes anything that you can get to fly. It never ceases to amaze me just what these guys can get airborne including "helicopters" with spinning rotors!

With the first three categories only traditional colours can be used, being mainly red, white and black. Yellow seems to be creeping in over recent years. The kites are flown in heats of say eight for a given period of say 15 minutes. Kites are judged on their appearance, flying (dancing) style, sound of hummers (male/female on top/bottom and forward/rearward of the kite) etc.

Each banjar competing brings its own extensive kite team, a gamelan orchestra and stands for the kites under which they can spend long periods playing music and eating.

The festival has grown bigger every year and although you get the feeling that it has been a part of Balinese culture for thousands of years, it originated in 1976. Perhaps one of the forum "historians" could find much earlier evidence of the kites themselves.

As mentioned earlier, Sanur is the cultural base for kite-making and flying. Very few kites are seen north of the volcanoes due to much lighter wind in most places (and possibly the greater distance from Sanur!)

It is great to see so many people enjoying the festivities. If only they could improve the traffic situation on the bypass!!!!

Just out of bland curiosity does anyone understand the details of this sport? I've watched before until my ears started bleeding from the loudspeaker system but was unable to verify why anyone had won or lost as both seemed to be able to get their kites to fly which in my book is a massive win right there - Charlie Brown school of kite flying alumni.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Was in Sanur to see the final yesterday but it was cancelled due to lack of wind.

Is it me? Every time I try and attend some event here in Bali it's either "last week, Mr." or the President could only come yesterday so changed time from today, to blank "Tidak ada".

Now I've got the elements against me too.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
[MENTION=1532]Markit[/MENTION] it you lol

I was up in ubud siteseeing for the day.hopefully they reschedule it soon.

ps. you missed a few cheese wheels

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
ps. you missed a few cheese wheels
You are wrong there cobber. Imagine the jungle dweller coming all the way down from his cave to spend time on Mertasari Beach. There is no wind, so what happens next? He has a mate who lives 50 metres from Mertasari Beach. Suddenly I hear the sound of knuckles being dragged along the paving. This eerie apparition appears beside me. Yes it is the cheese monster.
So a tad later, a million beers, about 40 kilo of cheese, salami, biscuits, olives, pickled onions and sweet spicy gherkin have been devoured. Finally it burps and departs, happily swinging from tree to tree.

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
That was very unlucky. We had 6 weeks of good wind from June 1st with barely anything below 9 or 10 knots until 2 days before the kitesurf event July 11. There has been nothing much over 6 or 7 knots since then. The big jangans need about 14.

Was in Sanur to see the final yesterday but it was cancelled due to lack of wind.

Is it me? Every time I try and attend some event here in Bali it's either "last week, Mr." or the President could only come yesterday so changed time from today, to blank "Tidak ada".

Now I've got the elements against me too.

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
There will be a kite festival at Mertasari Beach, Sanur on August 9-10 and then the Sanur Kite Festival on August 23-24 at the same location. Both should be quite large events. Lets hope for wind!