Bali Expat Groups

joco

Oct 21, 2017
Ungasan - Bali
Hello. I'm "Joco" - AKA John. I'm a US citizen - retired - who has been living in Vladivostok - Russian Federation for the past 2 years. I taught English - part time - at at a private school and also at VSUES (university) during that period. I'm presently applying for a KITAS VISA here and I'm again looking to establish a network of friends via expat groups - this time in Bali. Can anyone tell me when and where they meet? Thanks for your help!

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Welcomee to balipod Joco. It is a while since this group has arranged an organised get together. But if you say where you are located then you are likely to get contacts from people in the same area.

joco

Oct 21, 2017
Ungasan - Bali
Welcomee to balipod Joco. It is a while since this group has arranged an organised get together. But if you say where you are located then you are likely to get contacts from people in the same area.

Greetings ronb:
Thanks for your reply!

I am currently living in Southern Bukit Peninsula - Kuta Selatan/Ungasan area. In mid November - however - I want to move North - perhaps North of Ubud or East Bali/Amed area for "more breathing space." I'm still in the process of assessing a suitable permanent domicile.

Reactions: mugwump

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
OK. It is funny but the longer I am in Bali the less I move around, so I haven't been south of the airport for quite a while. We regularly meetup with expats in the Ubud area so let's know if you will be spending some days around here.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Greetings ronb:
Thanks for your reply!

I am currently living in Southern Bukit Peninsula - Kuta Selatan/Ungasan area. In mid November - however - I want to move North - perhaps North of Ubud or East Bali/Amed area for "more breathing space." I'm still in the process of assessing a suitable permanent domicile.
(Attention admin. I accidentally pressed the no like button to this quote from Joco. Please correct Thanks)

Hi Joco and Welcome,
The frequently wise advice to selecting locations in Bali from experienced expats is to try different places for a while before settling in. Not knowing your plans beyond the above written would be a recommendation that you include West Bali. I was in the Ubud area for 3 years and moved up here (and that was before the snake bitten explosion of Gag! "Eat Pray and Love"! ) Now in West Bali for 12 years and happy with my decision, would not care to live elsewhere. We all have our highly individualized preferences.
Good luck.

joco

Oct 21, 2017
Ungasan - Bali
OK. It is funny but the longer I am in Bali the less I move around, so I haven't been south of the airport for quite a while. We regularly meetup with expats in the Ubud area so let's know if you will be spending some days around here.

I plan to drive to Ubud soon to look around. Somehow - I get the impression that the Ubud area seems to be the center of expat activity;
But to be honest - I don't really know.
Any any rate - I need to make arrangements for new accommodations during the next 3 weeks; I'm looking for long term. It would be useful to me to know when expats meet; I could adjust my travel dates accordingly.

I would appreciate your input on the above. Thanks!

joco

Oct 21, 2017
Ungasan - Bali
(Attention admin. I accidentally pressed the no like button to this quote from Joco. Please correct Thanks)

Hi Joco and Welcome,
The frequently wise advice to selecting locations in Bali from experienced expats is to try different places for a while before settling in. Not knowing your plans beyond the above written would be a recommendation that you include West Bali. I was in the Ubud area for 3 years and moved up here (and that was before the snake bitten explosion of Gag! "Eat Pray and Love"! ) Now in West Bali for 12 years and happy with my decision, would not care to live elsewhere. We all have our highly individualized preferences.
Good luck.

We came to Bali for the first time in August of last year and stayed in the Ungasan area of the Bukit Peninsula - Lovina - and finally in Tulamben. If I had to choose between those three areas - Tulamben would be my 1st choice. Accordingly - I can't tolerate living in areas of dense populations and heavy traffic. But so far - I've never seen/visited West Bali - including our travels this year. For me - it would seem most appropriate to live in an area with other expats.
I've often wondered about West Bali.