davita

Mar 13, 2012
Today's (16 Jan) Bali Daily has an article headed 'Senior tourist residences to be designed'. The Governor and his team (BRTA) are extolling the idea of building special residences for senior tourists. They have seen this development in other countries, including the Philippines and Malaysia, and wish to compete in the upcoming ASEAN Economic Development Communuity 2015.

What I think the Governer needs first is to explore the Indonesian visa requirements for foreign/tourist retirees, before spending money on retirement residences.

I'm familiar with Make Malaysia Your Second Home (MM2H) where they issue a 10 year renewable visa with 'in and out' privilege. The visa also permits to buy freehold property, but with some restrictions to protect the poor from being alienated from the property market, and other incentives like a tax-free car. A retiree may work 20 hours a week if he has a special skill, which conceivably can be transferred to a Malaysian citizen.
The proviso is the foreigner must have a fixed deposit (FD) in a bank in Ringit, or provide evidence of a foreign govt. approved pension of a certain sum.

Indonesia makes all foreign retirees employ an agent, who charge like a wounded bull, to get a retirement visa for one year and a multi-entry/exit permit (MERP) is extra.

Compete....its a joke!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Gosh and Gee Whizz wouldn't it be a good idea if a bunch of like - minded rich people (relatively speaking) were to get together and try and convince the Gov of the benefits of making a small change in the visa regulations to help his great idea along a bit?

I'm willing to bet a dingo to a filet steak a couple of million Rupiah would get an hour of Gov's time and make an interesting impression on all parties concerned.

From small acorns to large oak trees grow.

I'll put in 500k anyone else out there?

Probably not - it is a lot easier to sit on our fat asses and bitch about how wrong it all is.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
If the Governor were to take your Rp500K and my Rp5,500 is it not possible the KPK could construe this action as corruption and ours as aiding and abetting. When they throw us in jail.....of course I'll deny and say you gave the full amount.....I only dropped my note and coin looking for my hanky.:icon_cool:

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Gosh and Gee Whizz wouldn't it be a good idea if a bunch of like - minded rich people (relatively speaking) were to get together and try and convince the Gov of the benefits of making a small change in the visa regulations to help his great idea along a bit?

I'm willing to bet a dingo to a filet steak a couple of million Rupiah would get an hour of Gov's time and make an interesting impression on all parties concerned.

From small acorns to large oak trees grow.

I'll put in 500k anyone else out there?

Probably not - it is a lot easier to sit on our fat asses and bitch about how wrong it all is.

God (not you Markit, your alter-ego) stop trying to shame them, it's like pissing into the wind. I agree with you, and am ready with the 500k but there must be an organization and a direction. It may be necessary to include some of the people on other blogs, other organizations (the mixed marriages group) and maybe get some advice from Atlantis on the possibilities open to us to do this. There may be a few hundred people in Bali who would be interested….. thats a good start financially…. if all contributed…. (and make it 1 million) …..

Atlantiiiiiis where are you mate? :icon_eek:

:topsy_turvy:

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
I wonder if they came up with the idea after looking at the building plans we submitted.
I can imagine the phone call "some one has just submitted a plan for a number of small one bedroom units. They want to build a clinic there and a house for doctors and nurse to live on site. Ooh they also have covered in parking for an ambulance."
Of course our "agent" would have given them all the rest of our details.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Maybe you could contact that Mix Marriage organization and ask them for advice as to how they were able to push the government to make these changes. Why not create some kind of organization for retirees in Indonesia? I am sure the government would be happy to meet with the organizers and you could express your concerns directly. To meet it seems fair that you should be able to get your own visa.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
A donation of 100billon to a political party in Jakarta may get you a meeting.
To think that most on this forum live in Bali & still think that the Indonesian government would give a rats arse about retired western people??????????
Ex Indonesian citizen have to be sponsored to live in there own country.
When Bali becomes a independent country i can see you would have some hope.
sorry to be so negative

davita

Mar 13, 2012
re: Fred2 post #9

Every chance I get to chat to Balinese I bring up the subject of Bali independance. Everyone says they would prefer independance from Indonesia but no-one seems eager to fight for it. They see it as a lose-lose situation.

Fred2 is correct....there is very little that Bali residents can do to persuade the central government in Jakarta on any subject...their plan of de-centralisation hasn't worked so far, so it's unlikely to be expanded.

We should wait to see the formation of the next RI Government to see what direction Indonesia takes on de-centralisation and autonomy for the Provinces.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Most aussie tourist would not know that Bali was part of Indonesia & probably think that the $25us goes straight to the Bali government !!!!
Indonesia is a very closed country, the rich Indonesian people do not want western people coming in & trying to take some of the spoils.
As long as Indonesia dosen't get any worse, could you imagine if some idiot from Arch came to power. we would not be able to have christmas let alone new years.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Most aussie tourist would not know that Bali was part of Indonesia & probably think that the $25us goes straight to the Bali government !!!!
Indonesia is a very closed country, the rich Indonesian people do not want western people coming in & trying to take some of the spoils.
As long as Indonesia dosen't get any worse, could you imagine if some idiot from Arch came to power. we would not be able to have christmas let alone new years.

Sorry Fred2........is ARCH a place or an acronym for something?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
OK fred2 gotcha...Aceh....province full of Sharia laws....hardly where I would retire although there was an American guy, on another forum, who clearly had married someone from there and taken Islam as his religion. He used to write volumes on the pleasure of living there, and how it should be an independant country.

I recall Xmas in 2004, I was in my B in Law's house in Jakarta when the Tsunami hit Aceh. If it weren't for the instant response from the Indonesian police and TNI the carnage would have been worse. This created the peace accord between the Aceh independant activists (GAM) and the RI Gov't. Aceh still has autonomy that other Provinces don't yet have.

It will be interesting to see how many Islamic party members get voted in the upcoming elections on 9 April.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
re: Fred2 post #9

Every chance I get to chat to Balinese I bring up the subject of Bali independance. Everyone says they would prefer independance from Indonesia but no-one seems eager to fight for it. They see it as a lose-lose situation.

Fred2 is correct....there is very little that Bali residents can do to persuade the central government in Jakarta on any subject...their plan of de-centralisation hasn't worked so far, so it's unlikely to be expanded.

We should wait to see the formation of the next RI Government to see what direction Indonesia takes on de-centralisation and autonomy for the Provinces.

Sorry to disagree with you and Fred too on this one mate. The mixed marriages group has already proven that they can influence the central government in Jakarta on some matters involving Indonesians married to foreigners (dual citizenship for children under 18 from a mixed marriage). Why is is so hard to imagine them having an effect on the retirement tourism issue?

But you also have a good point about waiting for the new government before baiting any hooks.

:topsy_turvy:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I think I may have caused misinterpretation Joji....coz I agree with you.

I remember the mixed marriage group being influential with the Central Gov't...what I meant was there is little the Bali Provincial Gov't or Bali residents can do, in isolation, without approval from Jakarta as Immigration (Visas etc) are a Central Gov't domain. Pastika can build homes and attempt to make his retirement tourism successful but it will need Jakarta's Central Gov't to change Immigration rules.
btw the mixed marriage group also instigated UU6/2011....but the final outcome of that seems so watered-down it is virtually meaningless law.

Re: the MM2H has different rules dependant on where the applicant wishes to reside. i.e. Sabah and Sarawak are different to mainland Malaysia. Also, different rules apply to the level of housing permitted to purchase...Malaysian's seem to have managed to deal with that....Indonesia?

Last edited:

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Just wondering why there should be a change to retirementvisa's, to build something like an home for the elderly/old-age pension?
I would also like to know what the "benefits" of a change would be ?
honestly don't understand, and that's why I am asking ..

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Just wondering why there should be a change to retirementvisa's, to build something like an home for the elderly/old-age pension?
I would also like to know what the "benefits" of a change would be ?
honestly don't understand, and that's why I am asking ..

The report mentions 'tourist' retirement homes. I understood that means seniors from other countries who wish to retire in those, I presume, lo-cost retirement villages.
If this is correct then it contrasts with the way RI deals with retirement visas.....which are very expensive and difficult to get.
If this is incorrect, and they are meaning Indonesians, then I don't know why they use the word 'tourist'.

The countries that Pastika is suggesting Indonesia compete already have very agreeable retirement visas in place. Malaysia has MM2H and Philippines SRRV. Many thousands of foreigners use them to retire in those countries...I maintain an MM2H visa and don't even live in Malaysia.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I think they sent the military in not so long ago to remove the independence flag from government house, the leader of GAM is the governor of Aceh?
Did the American guy go back to the states? He did seem to be a bit brain washed.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
1.I think they sent the military in not so long ago to remove the independence flag from government house, the leader of GAM is the governor of Aceh?
2.Did the American guy go back to the states? He did seem to be a bit brain washed.

1. I read that Fred2 but didn't know about the GAM leader being Governor...seems they still want independence. imo...if Islamic parties make any inroads at the General Election in April we may see more action on that front.

2. Don't know as I am no longer a member of that forum. I also thought he was a bit brainwashed but he did write well and I enjoyed reading his points of view. If he went back to the States I would hope he tones down his rhetoric about having 'found religion'....they might make him President...isn't that how George got a second term!!!:icon_cry:

Last edited: