Bali beer and bar thread

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
So this thread is for discussion of beer available in Bali and bars:

Bintang drinker here, in Perth I'd be drinking the occasional Pale Ale 150 lashes and Little Creatures comes to mind. Carlton Draught or Heineken are my day to day bar beers down under.

But as you all know those aren't even options here, I did see some type of pale ale getting plugged at 800,000 IDR pint in Sanur in a bar full of Russians and could probably find the same in Canggu, but that is more than double what I want to pay.

So you all know my thoughts on Bintang by now, tried Bali Hai again, not bad good if you're after a mild alternative. Anchor seems to have a pretty full on taste, would probably go alright with some sausage or some type of meat.

Hope you all participate, rather than highjack the villa thread I thought we'd have our own.

Been avoiding the bars due to the risk of contracting the old rona, but I hit On on bar and My bar in Sanur the other day, I always see My Bar packed to the rafters and wondered what all the hype was but I assure you it's just a bunch of retired Englishmen (hey nothing wrong with that right?!?). What seems to have changed is what once was hooker bars seems to have transferred their role to pensioner bars.

Cheers my Bali friends!

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Good affordable Beer & Bali is a contradiction like Palm Trees & Norway..I had an excellent Kiwi draught in Seminyak but the pint was really pricey.
These days (ok before corona) I enjoy the best Belgian, German & dutch beers in the world.
Even the Chinese have a (ex German) decent beer, Tsingtao is even good in cans. So do Australia, Malaysia, Thailand....

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Best beer in Indonesia? From a bar that used to be called "Marios" in Sengigi they have a drop of draft Bintang that was EPIC!

In our island hopping days we always made a point of going through Lombok for the good roads but mainly for the beer in Marios.

Me and a mate have actually drained the bar one night!

I've tried to reenact that happy time here but sadly selling draft beer demands more ability and more sales than most of the local bar keepers can manage to bring to the game.

There was a place here in Candi that said they had draft Kilkenny but never had it when we turned up and the only place that has Binny on draft here is at "Vincents" but have sent back the 2 times I've tried it there as undrinkable. You have to be dedicated to good beer and know how to make it - Marios owner was the most miserable Austrian I've ever met but boy! did he know how to make it taste good. It's now been taken over by (I think) his Canadian son-in-law and seems to be equally as good.

But on Bali nuffink!

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Speaking of Draft beer did you ever try that red can actually called "Draft beer?" If I remember right it tasted sort of like one of those "ICE", "COLD" type beers they have in Australia but it's been a while. I can't even find that now I guess if I ventured to Hypermart or Carefour probably could. Although most of the big stores like that have cut the alcohol sections right back I notice, finding anything a bit exclusive has gotten a harder.

Bintang definitely stays for everyday beer due to price. Bali Hai to me is equally as good but since the bottles can't be easily exchanged, Bintang remains the better solution.

Thanks for to stories folks, keep `em coming.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
The local pizza place I used gave me a free Prost Pilsener that is a whole new taste I quite liked, would buy...

Last edited:

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Any news in the beer department gents? I did a bit of a Bali Hai run recently but was starting to get expensive. Back on the binnies now :)

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hi Tezza, if you mean the red "Draught beer" can, yeah agreed not too bad.

You make it back to Perth safely? I decided to stay on in Bali, like it here far too much, from memory you're coming back? (if you left)

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Yeah hi mate. Been back in Perth for a couple of weeks now. Hotel quarantine was sheer purgatory. Out now and getting my house ready to sell. I’m planning on coming back in June but that’s in the lap of the gods at the moment. Depends on when the house sells. I’ve got my Kitas now so that should get me through the immigration. Just hope I don’t have a battle with the Australian border Regs. At least when I come back I intend staying long term so my StatDec will show that. Maybe I can get the vaccination before I leave.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Yeah hi mate. Been back in Perth for a couple of weeks now. Hotel quarantine was sheer purgatory. Out now and getting my house ready to sell. I’m planning on coming back in June but that’s in the lap of the gods at the moment. Depends on when the house sells. I’ve got my Kitas now so that should get me through the immigration. Just hope I don’t have a battle with the Australian border Regs. At least when I come back I intend staying long term so my StatDec will show that. Maybe I can get the vaccination before I leave.

Now is a good time to sell but as usual depends on where the house is.
In the cheaper suburbs in the SE corner of perth ( around the Armadale, Kelmscott , Gosnells area ) they are selling fast for rental investment.
Perfect storm of very low interest rates with the RBA saying will continue into at least 2024 , slackening of bank lending policy , cashed up people due to the Govt throwing Jobkeeper and small business cash bonus around, Aussies returning from overseas due to Covid and the mining sector cranking up again.

You had better make sure when you sell you aren't coming back because the prices are only going back up and fast.

Cheers
5 minute WA economy report
Ken

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
If anyone wants the contact of a cheap beer supplier PM me...
he recently had bali hai draught for $1 a can and he has specials all the time

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Can confirm this is a legit offer (thanks Juggler) for what I buy is about 10-15% less than store price, for the "other" beers, eg Bali Hai instead of Bintang. +20,000 for city delivery. Unsure if that is fixed across the south or varies across all regions?

They do seem to do promos and Mrs scored a free large sized Singaraja t shirt that is neither here nor there for me. Large by asian size not bule size, which of course isn't large but hey, a free t shirt is a free t shirt right?

• Haha
Reactions: matsaleh

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I have been going to a great bar called LXXY, they have the best deal on the island. 50k for 4 hours unlimited drinking. Beer, vodka, whisky.

5 p.m until 9 p.m. Great deal.

See you there.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Rangi you still checking in here? That one of those clubs sponsored by "Roofies" ? 50k for all the poison you can drink but when (if) you wake up in the morning your ass hurts?

Reactions: sakumabali

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
There is a place with a deal like that on Sanur beach maybe Mercure, the pool is always empty so is the bar, it's like 100,000k for all the beer you can drink in 3 hours or something like that.

To be honest though, the last thing my body needs is more cheap piss :)

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Update: It's Mercure and you're sort of obliged to buy it:

100,000k all the beer you can drink in 2 hours not 3, OR 1 small bintang 55,000 IDR. Bit of a no brainer right?

Rent the pool is 55k we brought 3 people all included, nice pool, a few Indonesians in it.

The meals you can forget, with a "Romantic Dinner" at 900,000 IDR I swore off it even when I make my first million. :)