Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
My first trip to Bali was 1982 and it nearly knocked me out from the moment the aircraft door opened. The humidity and the smell is something I've come to love but back then it was like a physical and sensory wall. I was one of the thousands of surfers in the early 80's that made the trek, spurred by the iconic surf flick "Morning of the Earth". I could go on about the way things used to be but the same could be said of beautiful places all around the world.
Eventually Bali became a leaping point for me, a couple of days or nights here and there to facilitate my explorations of Nth. Sumatra down through to the south eastern part of the archipelago, Sumbawa, Sumba.
The last two years I have made several trips to Bali, in particular, to decide if it is a place that I could live and I'm now about to commit to 12 months of living (not visiting) to help me make my decision.
There are lots of things to dissuade me but the tourist pits have actually provided me with a new perspective.
They are simply not the reason that I have ever travelled to Bali and it tends to keep my Aussie yobbo compatriots in a few small pockets. Good luck to 'em.
I hope that I don't come across as holier than thou because I really do understand that once you visit a place like Bali, despite all its faults, you just wan't to return.
For me, it's got into my blood. The people, the history et al.
In 12 months time I might decide that it's not for me. But I won't know until I give it a committed try.
Here I go.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Well, Steve, I hope you have a great 12 months. I have been retired here for more than 8 years, started in North Bali, but after a relationship break-up I drifted around a bit and then came to rest in Ubud. There are many spots where I could happily live, and because I am not a surfing or diving type, the proximity to the beach is not so important. I guess you will stick closer to the surf, and I would suggest you drift around a bit and stay long enough in each spot to meet some of the expats. In the end one of the places you explore will grab you more than the others and this is likely to be because of people. I think you will enjoy the search.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
Thanx ronb for your welcoming words and advice, I appreciate your input as I do everyone else on this forum otherwise I wouldn't be here.:). I will be in the first instance basing myself near Jalan Sanggingan for at least a few months and although it seems like it makes me a fish out of water, I am coming from a cold water enviro (southern Oz, Vic) where I have to drive an hour to my closest surf destination and the water is always cold. An hour and a 1/2 to the east or west coasts from Ubud isn't daunting to me, the Bukit simply is not on my radar.
I'm looking forward to meeting some of you folks and talking story and you are right, I'm not only interested in Bali but all who live there.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Hi Steve,
Ronb has good advice. Bali seems to to be in a continuous stage of change and it is wise to explore different areas to determine what suits you