gunn_parker

Oct 11, 2009
Hi All
We are headed back in April and for the last few months I have been trying to learn Bahasa Indonesian. Now the scary part, when I meet someone and I say Apa Kabar? And when they reply, I am not going to have much of a clue what they are saying :)

So how did you others get on when you first started?

Cheers

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Just practice what you know. If all you know is "apa kabar" that's a start. You will here the various replies and that's how you will start to learn.

gunn_parker

Oct 11, 2009
Hi
Yes that the program I am using. I am up to about lesson 35, not that I remember every word :). I have it on cd in my car and now on an ipod.
cheers

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
It is unlikely that you will get a long answer to the question of 'apa Kabar' other than 'baik baik' but the whole point is to make a start and try and pick up the language. At the basic level the language is very simple and you can learn enough to have a conversation in a few weeks depending on how much you immerse yourself. My advice is to plunge in there and stop worrying.

hazman

Mar 8, 2010
Hi All
We are headed back in April and for the last few months I have been trying to learn Bahasa Indonesian. Now the scary part, when I meet someone and I say Apa Kabar? And when they reply, I am not going to have much of a clue what they are saying :)

Cheers

some example that i made :p

YOU: Hai, apa kabar? (Hi, how are you?)
BALINESE: kabar baik, bagaimana anda? (fine, how bout' you?)
YOU: sangat baik! (really good!)

after that, usually they give a various question, but if they look you still have a difficulties on speaking indonesian, they will ask you with english.. unless you ask them with indonesian language..

YOU: permisi, dimana saya bisa mencari hotel murah? (excuse me, where can i find some cheap hotel?)

YOU: permisi, bagaimana cara saya bisa ke DOUBLE SIX? (excuse me, how do i get to DOUBLE SIX?)

and etc...

well, you could practice here..right? :p

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
It basically what happens when you're just starting to learn the language. But if you keep on observing and making conversation using some of the language, you'll sure get used to it.

Carolinaandretti

Jul 2, 2011
As a foreigner, you should learn Bahasa. Same as Indonesian, they try to speak in English and get course to make them more fluent and able to speak.

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
Hi All

Cheers

I think understanding responses is the hardest part of learning a new language - there is no easy way around it. I'm always struggling to recognise the first few words that I'm sure I know and very quickly loose track of the conversation. It seems so easy to chat with your teacher/tutor who knows exactly what words you know.

If you have a teacher it is important for them to start speaking Indonesian only to you ASAP - it helps as you start to guess a words they are using that you haven't already learnt. Also make sure you always explain to anyone you are speaking with that you have only just started learning and to please speak slow and simple - learn a lot of terms that will help you explain your comprehension levels and problem.

It takes patience and being able to laugh when you feel like a fool. Believe it or not, I find drinking helps - go and get drunk and rabbit on to people. You'd be amazed at how you can suddenly loosen up and not get hooked up trying to catch every word.

Everyone says Indonesian is an easy language to learn but normally when you are learning a language in country you are submersed in it. In Bali you are often hearing people speaking Balinese. Which often means you don't always get the benefit of being able to sit and listen...which I find helps with comprehension. In my case I found this particularly confusing as I used to speak a little Khmer which has many words that sound very similar to Balinese but have an entirely different meaning. It does my head in!

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
you're right...it's a mouthful, but basically simple words aren't they? and by using the word 'belajar' the balinese/Indonesians know you're trying to learn..instead of the 'saya gak ngerti' (I don't understand)..
btw, 'tolong' (please) is also a pretty important word in Indonesia..

Celyna

Jul 18, 2011
Perth
www.balifragrance.com.au
Saya sedang belajar Bahasa Indonesia. I also say tolong bichara pelan pelan quite often and look confused half the time dan bodoh, but I perservere. My husband calls me the interpreter. :icon_lol:

Question - is it that important as to where I pop the saya or anda in as this does get confusing for me. Sometimes Anda is at the beginning and sometimes at the end!! Is it only put after the verb or does it not really matter - should I stress less?

julias.andre

Jul 28, 2011
Denpasar Bali
anda put in front usually as subject, example "anda akan pergi?" ==> "are you gonna leave?"
mean, anda doing something.
anda put in the end usually as object, example "ada orang mencari anda"===> "some people looking for you"
anda be an object of the sentence

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
Where to put terms like saya, anda, kamu and dia is usually pretty straightforward but for people learning in Bali it can be a bit confusing as Balinese have a slightly different way of speaking Indonesian which comes from the way they speak Balinese.

For example to say "she went" in Indonesian would, in the correct way be "dia pergi" although often Balinese will say it as "pergi dia", which is a direct translation as how they would say it in Balinese, "megedi ye".

In most cases though just keep it in front and you should be fine.

Surya Dharma

Oct 3, 2011
Very good post above, and good advice for how to learn Bahasa Indonesia properly. I learned to speak when I was living in Java, and it was the same, everyone spoke Javanese around me so I was confused: why doesn't everyone speak Indonesian only? Then I learned that this is the language that everyone can speak with everyone from across the country. I think it is amazing to be born and raised bilingual, or trilingual, or know even more than 3 languages.

Because so many foreigners are living here, there are more opportunities to learn properly first, so that you can teach yourself while practicing with the people around you. I took my second course at Cinta Bahasa, and they are the most professional school I know on the Island. They have lots of very positive feedback, and so I am happy to recommend them because I think, I agree with everyone here who says that foreigners living in Bali should learn to speak Indonesian.

Aku Cinta Bahasa Indonesia juga!