Vincent OG

Nov 29, 2002
Bali
I’m not sure if this will be of use to anyone but I have been researching the possibilities for Indonesian language tuition in Bali.
I think these relate to Bahasa Indonesian rather than Balinese language.
Presumably it’s the former that an expat needs to learn?
Despite my research, I’m not sure if I’ll take formal tuition. Might be better to get by in Bahasa Indonesian by talking and mixing with locals.

Govt policy on Bahasa Indonesia
The Jakarta Post
December 28, 2002

Expatriates working in Indonesia have expressed mixed reactions to the government's planned policy requiring them to speak in Bahasa Indonesia, a national language in Indonesia with some supporting the move and many others calling it unwise.
Minister Jacob said on Sunday that all foreigners working in Indonesia would soon have to understand and be able to communicate in Bahasa Indonesia.
The regulation will be discussed at the Cabinet level soon.

Pondok Pekak Library & Learning Center
East Side of the Football Field
Jl. Monkey Forest
Ubud
Phone: 62 (361) 976194
email: pondok@indo.net.id

Offers 1-month group intensives and private classes.
The group intensives cost Rp600,000 for 23 hours over 4-weeks (about US$70).
The private classes are Rp50,000 per hour ($5.75).
They run a new group class every month.

Indonesia Australia Language Foundation (IALF)
Mr. Nyoman Riasa
IALF Bali
Jalan Kapten Agung 17
Denpasar 80232
Bali, Indonesia
Tel: + 62 (361) 225-243, 221-782, 221-783
Fax: + 62 (361) 263-509
e-mail: nriasa@ialf.edu
http://www.ialf.edu/bahasabali.html

Offer group classes in Bahasa Indonesia in Bali (40 hours) at beginner level to advanced.
Can be combined with 20 hours of cultural studies introducing Indonesian, and particularly Balinese culture and can include homestay accommodation with a local family.
Aus$ 590 (US$350) or Aus$ 1,100 (US$650) including cultural studies & homestay.
Course Dates
14 - 25 April 2003
7 - 18 July 2003
6 - 17 October 2003
5 - 16 January 2004

University of Victoria, BC, Canada
Collection of links about Indonesia and Bahasa Indonesia.
http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/indonesian/links.htm

Bahasa Indonesia for Travellers – includes audio files
http://www.travlang.com/languages/cgi-b ... &page=main

User-Friendly Guide to Spoken Balinese
http://www.coralreeffish.com/balinese.htm

Indonesia-Dictionary-dot-com web site.
http://www.englishindonesia.com/index.htm

Learning Indonesian in 7 Days – includes audio files
http://www.seasite.niu.edu/indonesian/p ... ays_fs.htm

Bahasa Indonesia – from Living in Indonesia website – includes audio files
http://www.expat.or.id/info/bahasa.html

G

I recommend BLTCC / Bali Language Training and Culture Center and Jl.Tukad Pakerisan 100 in Panjer, Denpasar. One can study Balinese language, culture, art .. and also indonesian there to probably more resonable prices than IALF. It was alot cheaper back then but i'm not so updated with prices now. It's a nice place that has a more "private" feel to it and not so institutional.

GregB

Sep 27, 2010
As I mentioned in a previous post I have just moved hear and am really enjoying finally immersing myself in this blog rather than just 'lurking'.

I started studying Bahasa Indonesia via the learningindonesian.com podcasts like many people on here and found it really useful. When I came I was thinking about going to IALF as I liked the idea of practicing in a group (sounds silly but I don't mind making mistakes in a class, because others do too so I feel more comfortable).

But in the end I opted for Seminyak Language School (opp Bintang Supermarket) they offer group and individual classes (my group one cost about Rp 2million for 4 week course), it was a really helpful environment and saved me the hassle of trekking all the way to Denpasar every morning. I don't have their number but you can find them at Bali Indonesian Course | Bali Language School | Learning Indonesian | Bahasa Indonesia Course

- Oh almost forgot, if you do opt for the podcast make sure to spend the time to remove the opening and closing 5min musical interlude as it can get quite tiring (ATTN Moderators - I would be happy to host/post a link to my edited playlists or would that be against forum rules?)

Cheers

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
I’m not sure if this will be of use to anyone but I have been researching the possibilities for Indonesian language tuition in Bali.
I think these relate to Bahasa Indonesian rather than Balinese language.
Presumably it’s the former that an expat needs to learn?
Despite my research, I’m not sure if I’ll take formal tuition. Might be better to get by in Bahasa Indonesian by talking and mixing with locals.

Indonesia Australia Language Foundation (IALF)
Mr. Nyoman Riasa
IALF Bali
Jalan Kapten Agung 17
Denpasar 80232
Bali, Indonesia
Tel: + 62 (361) 225-243, 221-782, 221-783
Fax: + 62 (361) 263-509

This adress is at least 5 years obsolete.IALF is now on jalan Sesetan in South Denpasar.
See the advertisements in the Bali advertiser or their website:
www ialf.edu

Surya Dharma

Oct 3, 2011
Learn Bahasa Indonesia in Ubud, Bali

If you don't feel like learning in the crowded cities of Jakarta, Yogyakarta or Denpasar, there's a really great school in the town of Ubud in Bali.

Cinta Bahasa Indonesian Language School
cintabahasa com

---

remoteplanet

Sep 25, 2011
Ubud
christopherlaursen.com
I highly recommend Nyoman at Pondok Pekak Library & Learning Center in Ubud, although the rates are higher than are quoted in this original post. In March 2012, I paid 900,000 Rp including printed learning materials. The teacher dives right into things and classes are about two hours long. I was in a group of four, which was very good - a bit smaller is better I think for learning language. Nyoman is an absolute delight with a wonderful sense of humour and she is truly passionate about teaching Bahasa Indonesia. Simply pop by the library if you are interested. She might even be having a break and you'd get a chance to meet her. She offers group intro, group intermediate, and private lessons.

Last edited:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I highly recommend Nyoman at Pondok Pekak Library & Learning Center in Ubud, although the rates are higher than are quoted in this original post. In March 2012, I paid 900,000 Rp including printed learning materials. The teacher dives right into things and classes are about two hours long. I was in a group of four, which was very good - a bit smaller is better I think for learning language. Nyoman is an absolute delight with a wonderful sense of humour and she is truly passionate about teaching Bahasa Indonesia. Simply pop by the library if you are interested. She might even be having a break and you'd get a chance to meet her. She offers group intro, group intermediate, and private lessons.

I haven't tried the Pondok Pekat Library but I have had lessons at Cinta Bahasa and they are excellent. Right now I'm taking lessons from Learn Indonesian Bali. Mine are private classes with Apin and I'm very happy with her.

Surya Dharma

Oct 3, 2011
The Learn Indonesian Bali website uses stock photos and doesn't say who it is or how much their prices are. It looks like a scam.

Does this teacher have training and certification to teach or did they just buy some books, put up some ads and call themselves a teacher? Why not just learn from the excellent school instead? You can be happy with a teacher, but are you learning anything? I heard about some teachers that were fired from Cinta Bahasa for asking their students to learn privately with them, I mean trying to steal their students, even though Cinta Bahasa was paying for their training and giving them materials.

I wonder if that was her? If so, I think it is wrong to go with this or any private teacher. If they were good, they would be teaching at a school. You should support real local business like the good profressional school.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
There are some nice free lessons on this site; Learning Indonesian - Home

I don't see what's wrong with a private teacher? Some people prefer a one-on-one class at home rather than having to go somewhere and share a teacher with 10 or 20 other students.

Surya Dharma

Oct 3, 2011
Good advice, yes Learning Indonesian is a very good podcast audio learning. It's important to get used to hearing Indonesian.

And I totally agree that learning privately at home, or at a school, is a fine way to learn. it's really great if you're highly motivated or don't have much time to get conversational. Sometimes I just didn't feel like crossing town to go to the school. But a good school can also arrange to send teachers to you.

I liked learning in a group, I met new people I would not otherwise have met, got to practice with people around me, and to see that I wasn't alone in thinking that being able to speak Indonesian was important.

Surya Dharma

Oct 3, 2011
Sorry if its promoting Cinta Bahasa, but their group is a strict maximum of 6 students, if there's more they will form another group.

Why would you pay a lot for a course just to share your time with 10-20 other students? That would feel too much like University or High School for me. *shudder*

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Hi all, rather than starting a new thread i thought i would tack onto this one as the title is right.

can anyone recommend a bahasa teacher in the Canggu area? If so what would you expect to pay for a private lesson.

cheers