Back at last

harryopal

May 5, 2016
How great to be warm again. Arrived Denpasar yesterday having to get up in the cold cold 5 am to get to the Adelaide airport 3 hours before flight at 10.40 am. Declared I was carrying medication on the Customs form and showed a letter from a medical clinic outlining medications. No problem. Waved straight through. Looking forward to a swim at Jimbaran and being able to afford to live. Prices in Aus just keep increasing and rentals impossible.

Pre 9/11 travel required one hour prior to flight for international check in and half an hour for domestic. Now it is 3 for international and 2 for domestic. No planning any travel in the immediate future. Inshallah.

tel522

Oct 30, 2015
How great to be warm again. Arrived Denpasar yesterday having to get up in the cold cold 5 am to get to the Adelaide airport 3 hours before flight at 10.40 am. Declared I was carrying medication on the Customs form and showed a letter from a medical clinic outlining medications. No problem. Waved straight through. Looking forward to a swim at Jimbaran and being able to afford to live. Prices in Aus just keep increasing and rentals impossible.

Pre 9/11 travel required one hour prior to flight for international check in and half an hour for domestic. Now it is 3 for international and 2 for domestic. No planning any travel in the immediate future. Inshallah.
welcome back

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018

My first winter in almost 2 years in Sydney, definitely feeling it. The airports are stuffed because everyone left in covid and they filled all the roles with casual minimum wage staff, they don't know if they'll have hours next week or not and everyone I met who used to work at the airport left. Apparently Qantas took lots of Jobkeeper dollars but still rolled with the temp staff, was on the TV this morning.

Cost of living here is a real issue, it's taking me longer to save (and harder to save).

Probably going to visit Bali next year.

Hope you are well.

Last edited:

harryopal

May 5, 2016
My first winter in almost 2 years in Sydney, definitely feeling it. The airports are stuffed because everyone left in covid and they filled all the roles with casual minimum wage staff, they don't know if they'll have hours next week or not and everyone I met who used to work at the airport left. Apparently Qantas took looks of Jobkeeper dollars but still rolled with the temp staff, was on the TV this morning.

Cost of living here is a real issue, it's taking me longer to save (and harder to save).

Probably going to visit Bali next year.

Hope you are well.
Thank you PERtoDPS. yes I am relatively well. Had a swim today at Jimbaran and a nice walk along the beach. At 83 it seems so many friends, many younger, have kicked the bucket. I make a habit of stretching and exercise every morning and I think this has helped. Sorry to see people with walking frames or as with a former football team mate, three years younger, hunched over with shoulder arthritis, having recently had a heart attack and being given medication that brings on awful nausea attacks. Not much to recommend about getting older except better than the alternative.

I can sympathize with your cost of living concerns. Yesterday my wife and I had a great lunch back in Jimbaran for $6 for both of us. Staying in Australia on just my pension would be a quick slide into poverty but can live comfortably here. That said, having Medicare in Aus is such a blessing. We are so lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: tel522