Back again......well almost

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Almost a year since I was last in Bali and stayed for a week in Sanur. This time I am arriving on the 24th and have booked 10 days in Legian. This might be my last trip for a while as its maybe time to move to Pastures new and start my bucket list of places to see before the inevitable overtakes me.
Spent the last 61/2 weeks in Makassar and Toraja and overseeing what seems to be constant repairs to my house. Why oh why can I not find someone to permanently fix my roof. I get lots of promises but come the rainy season a leak always appears.
I do pop in here from time to time just to see what is happening and to see who Markit has upset this time :). Nice to see the members being helpful to others. I thin the forum goes on from strength to strength.
As an aside anyone know what forums Roy Thompson is on these days?

Thanks for listening.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi Jimbo,

Would love to catch-up if possible. Would need to be after 28th, Sanur will be fine, perhaps lunch.
Roy is just a memory. Would be interesting to know more.
Ron

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Hi Jimbo,

Would love to catch-up if possible. Would need to be after 28th, Sanur will be fine, perhaps lunch.
Roy is just a memory. Would be interesting to know more.
Ron
Would love to meet up Ron but if possible Legian as I am tied to a mobility scooter most of the time.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hey Jimbo I'm astonished to hear that you think I might have ever upset someone (shock, horror). Fact is the world seems to be going through a plague of being offended and "me fecking too-ed which probably has as little to do with what people say as what the great offended want to hear. There's a few of those on this forum

You being 4-wheeled is gonna seriously limit the bucket list to stuff on a good sidewalk isn't it?

Didn't think rooves were such a challenge!? Prob cause you can't climb up and check yourself.

Keep yer pecker up as they say in England

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Well just a day to go and back on the silver budgie to the UK. Had a trip round the island and somewhat disappointed. Obviously not the Bali I knew from 34 years ago but it just seems to deteriorate every year. I can understand the local economy trying to make a buck but it just seems to be restaurants, massage parlors and shops all selling the same thing. Even Ubud is taken over by tourists and those supposedly catering for them. I do not understand how the thousands of artists make any money as the competition must be fierce

The beaches are dirty and not accessible to the disable and full of hustlers etc.. The people are still great which is a good thing but unless things change overall I see a big down turn in tourists in the future.

If I do come back I shall try the west of the island to which I have never been. Take care you guys

Melati

Mar 4, 2017
Well just a day to go and back on the silver budgie to the UK. Had a trip round the island and somewhat disappointed. Obviously not the Bali I knew from 34 years ago but it just seems to deteriorate every year. I can understand the local economy trying to make a buck but it just seems to be restaurants, massage parlors and shops all selling the same thing. Even Ubud is taken over by tourists and those supposedly catering for them. I do not understand how the thousands of artists make any money as the competition must be fierce

The beaches are dirty and not accessible to the disable and full of hustlers etc.. The people are still great which is a good thing but unless things change overall I see a big down turn in tourists in the future.

If I do come back I shall try the west of the island to which I have never been. Take care you guys

Hello Jimbo, you are right, is so sad to see Bali tourist areas terrible built up and focus only in tourist, the thousand artists you are talking about these days doesn't really make money, they are working now like room boys, pool boys and in constructions projects making villas and swimming pool all over the rice fields.
And Ubud is not only taken by tourists, mass tourists but as well by foreigners or by people from outside of Bali, more and more business belongs to people from outside of Bali. Beside in each corner of the island there is a indomaret, infomaret, coco mart, delta mart, pepito..............total consumerism
I haven't been to the south of Bali for a few years and I was so surprise how built it is, buildings every where, the traffic was terrible and the beaches packed with a lot people, you have to pay in all the parking places, they charged money to enter to Padang Padang, the parking of Uluwatu temple was full packed by many buses and many cars and thousand people trying to see the sunset, about this place it is funny because many people talk about to go to the Uluwatu Temple and in fact people don't see the temple at all, only one meru I think, but "they" still selling like go to uluwatu temple when in fact you don;t see the temple at all, only the sea and the rocks.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi Jimbo, sorry we missed again, but we have been flat out since returning just over a week ago. Next time, when you head west could be a good opportunity. Ron