Australian Travel Exemption Thread

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
As we are all aware, there are a few of us with relations to Australia who usually like to stay in Bali also. Right now our only way back is to be granted a travel exemption, I am about to apply in the coming days and I know some people from here have applied both successfully and unsuccessfully. I ask those rejected, what were you rejected for? What would you do different if you could try again? We can upload 25 supporting documents so obviously it's important what you upload. Someone recently suggested to me the site may be run by bots that are searching for certain keywords? Any validation to this claim?

Given there is appropriate privacy, I will post updates what is going on with my exemption.

Let's work together and get us all back to Bali! Please use this thread so the information isn't buried in wrong thread.

Reactions: spicyayam

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
As we are all aware, there are a few of us with relations to Australia who usually like to stay in Bali also. Right now our only way back is to be granted a travel exemption, I am about to apply in the coming days and I know some people from here have applied both successfully and unsuccessfully. I ask those rejected, what were you rejected for? What would you do different if you could try again? We can upload 25 supporting documents so obviously it's important what you upload. Someone recently suggested to me the site may be run by bots that are searching for certain keywords? Any validation to this claim?

Given there is appropriate privacy, I will post updates what is going on with my exemption.

Let's work together and get us all back to Bali! Please use this thread so the information isn't buried in wrong thread.
Hey G'day mate. Well as you know from previous posts on the other thread I was knocked back after I thought I had given them quite a good case. I included rent receipts for the place my lady and I rented in Jimbaran and proof of transferring money to her account to pay for it. I also included a copy of the document I got from the local Banjar stating that they were aware that I was living at the address along with an explanatory letter. Now I intend making another application once I have official translations of a lease agreement that I managed to obtainfrom Bali and the Banjar document. I hope that these will help a bit. I also see that the application form has changed a bit with an option to state that you're leaving for a minimum of three months. I was speaking to a guy the other day who gave me a few pointers and one of them was that possession of a Visa from the Indo system would go a long way. I am thinking I may try without first and then if I get another knockback I'll organise a visa. I'm really keen to get back but loath to fork out the $800+ for a visa if I'm going to get knocked back again. Not sure about your comment regarding bots. Personally I have my doubts but then I have been known to be very wrong frequently if you were to ask my ex wife.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Thanks Tezza, you are one of the fellas I had hoped to draw the attention of! On what information you have supplied, looking at the criteria for relationship visas have you tried the following:

Sworn declarations from each partner about the relationship? Someone told me to use photos you took together and this is the important bit make the actual jpeg file name like this for example: RichardandDewiamed20.09.2019.jpg etc etc if you need more syntax examples happy to key some out for you. The key being the relationship spanning over multiple years. A lot of the stuff throws me, eg joint bank accounts we don't have and no intent to get?!?

Stating you will be gone 3+ months and willing and able to pay your own hotel quarantine on return should go a long way too IMO, but that is purely opinion.

I would strongly advise against your idea to pay the Indonesia visa first, the price you have gotten seems pretty good and fair compared to my research so far - I would not even consider to do that unless the travel exemption is approved. Is the guy you spoke to a representative of the visa agency or just someone here? As I'm sure you're smart enough to realise there is commission/incentives in it for the visa company/referee over there, if you pay the fee someone is getting paid if you get to Indonesia or not. So if it's they are overly enthusiastic consider that.

There is also a clause "ordinarily a resident in another country" one would think you'd have an avenue there Tezza?

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I could be wrong but you cannot get a exemption to travel to Indonesia if you do not have a visa to enter the country.
I am applying this week but i have a visa.

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
I could be wrong but you cannot get a exemption to travel to Indonesia if you do not have a visa to enter the country.
G'day Fred, yeah that was something I was told by a guy I spoke to the other day. It makes sense too but I'm not rich enough to be able to throw away $800 which is likely to happen if I don't get an exemption approved. Although in fairness the agency I have been talking to told me tha the visa is good for 3 months before you have to use it so gives enough time to make multiple applications to ABF.

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
I just applied this morning and stated I was planning to go overseas for an extended period of at least 8 months. I didnt mention I had Kitas so will let you know how it turns out.
Reading their website being overseas for min 3 months should be good enough..
Fingers crossed

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
From the research I've done the 3 month + thing seems to work a lot of the time. I'll be applying last week October and I am hoping for November arrival. Very interested in everyone here's results. Thanks for all the replies so far keep 'em coming!

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
I listed the country as Indo and no mention in the application was made of entry permit and it was approved

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
ok people 5 hours later and our exemption has been APPROVED.
Well that was easy...:cool:

Wow good job! Did you upload proof of account balance or tenancy agreements or not required? As I am rushing around like mad to rather all that stuff, if it's not needed please do specify

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Ok I just put my exemption in , copy of passport with visa, copy of driving licence, out by late November back late February. see what happens

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
The only thing I submitted was a copy of our passports.
I think the key factor is tht you will be gone for at least 3 months, our case at least 6 months. I am under the impression they dont wont people coming and going but they are happy for you to go.

Last edited:

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
Greetings to all, I am a new member and also stuck in Australia trying to get back to Bali after leaving there in March to collect my retirement visa from the Sydney Indonesian Consulate but Australia then banned all travel so I held back to see how long the ban would last. The rest is history :eek:

It seems that the travel exemptions from Australia have changed recently and a lot of information can be obtained from the Department of Home Affairs 'Leaving Australia' website and 'Outward Travel Restrictions Operation Directive' from the department to the Border Control Force.
These make it clear that 'Ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia' is defined as 'you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months' which, I presume, means that less than 12 months cumulative in the last 24 would not qualify.
Also the 'more than three months' criteria is tied to the 'compelling reason to travel' criteria and it's not enough on its own to declare an intent to stay away longer than three months.
From the visa and tickets point of view the Australian authorities don't seem to care care about tickets or visas. The exemption application website states 'You do not need to have booked flights before applying for an exemption, and doesn't mention visas, probably because the airlines are responsible for ensuring that the travel can enter the country they're flying too otherwise they bear the trouble and expense of returning them.

As for visas, according to the Indonesian Consulate in Sydney holders of ITAS and ITAP can still enter but they are not processing any other types of visa applications such as business, social or holiday.
A few days ago I emailed the Sydney consulate to ask if they would process my current retirement visa application and this was their response:
We are only authorised to process visa application for foreigner that have been given an exemption to be issued a visa to enter Indonesia.
The exemption approval/telex is issued by Immigration Headquarter in Jakarta.

I'm currently trying to find out if the visa agent in Bali who i used to get my retirement visa telex can get me an exemption from Jakarta or even if it's actually necessary as the email from the consulate visa department contradicts what the consulate website says i.e. During border restriction, Indonesia Consulate General in Sydney only issues a visa which has been approved by the Indonesia Immigration Authority. The approval letter (Telex) is arranged by the company/sponsor/guarantor in Indonesia (Immigration HQ in Jakarta). At the moment we only process a Telex dated after 2nd April 2020.

That would seem to be a description of exactly what I have and the Sydney consulate said that my telex has been extended until November the 20th and will be valid for travel to Indonesia for 90 days from the date of issue so I've got time to work on it and will let everyone know if I succeed.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Just got granted my exemption but it was messy took probably 30 hours to approve. They messed up and granted exemption to come back not go but I called and it's fixed. Uploaded minimal info, passport, medicare, MDL. Basically told ok go but you may not be allowed back in it's up to us. I'll take my chances I think.

John M

Sep 29, 2020
Sanur, Bali
I emailed the Sydney consulate again and asked them to clarify the contradiction between them saying that I would need an exemption issued from Jakarta in order to process my retirement visa (VITAS) and the fact that their website retirement visa page doesn't mention it.
They rather efficiently responded within a few hours and said that they would process my visa application if I sent it in by mail or courier - there was no more mention of an exemption approval from Jakarta.
They also said 'Currently you don't have to provide your ticket with your application', which is good because I'm not going until December and prices are so high currently plus 'You don't have to provide the PCR negative result on your application but you must have the PCR negative result (written/on paper) within 7 days of your arrival in Indonesia', which is also good because I haven't yet found a way to get such a thing.
Now I will try for a travel exemption application.

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hi John, for the PCR covit test your GP can write a referal for one of the covit clinics is my understanding. Good luck!

Tezza71

Oct 31, 2018
Well guys, finally made it through the Exemption barrier. Got clearance this morning. The 3 month thing cracked it I think. Now the next hurdle is to get a visa. Hopefully Bali Legals can help. What a damn palava just to fly for 3.5 hours to Bali. Just checked the available flights for when I want to go and looks like $1300 via Jakarta and then return from Denpasar, at least that's what it looks like for now. Really must get my retirement Kitas sorted out at the earliest available opportunity.

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Hi there, has anyone one heard of a change in enrty wth expired Kitas??
I thought you had until the 31 Dec to enter with a recently expire one. If someone could shed some light that would be great thx

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hi there, has anyone one heard of a change in enrty wth expired Kitas??
I thought you had until the 31 Dec to enter with a recently expire one. If someone could shed some light that would be great thx

I stumbled across this earlier, it may help you I'm unsure?