balinews

Feb 14, 2010
A Perth teenager allegedly found with a white powder at a Bali nightclub will remain "locked up" as he and the suspicious substance undergo testing, police have said.

Jamie Murphy, 18, was arrested at Bali's popular Kuta nightclub precinct early today, after a security search at Skygarden allegedly uncovered a small amount of powder in his bumbag.

Arrest footage shows the powder in a plastic satchel, along with an ATM card and hotel keys.

"I don't do this s--- … I swear to God, I swear to God," Mr Murphy said as he was grabbed.

As he was taken to Denpasar police station, he asked "What is the fuss?"

Police have said Mr Murphy was uncooperative and allegedly resisted arrest.

Read more at Perth teen arrested in Bali after allegedly being caught with white powder - 9news.com.au

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I read elsewhere there is video on Youtube that clearly demonstrates the packet was planted on this guy by a Skygarden security guard.

Edit: Here's the video and, between 10 secs and 13 secs, you can see the security on the right with the white packet in his right hand as he helps to open the fannypack...it then vanishes and can be seen inside the opening he unzipped...what a joke.
I hope this exposes Bali's judicial system....and craps on their tourism economy...they deserve it. Those security should be the ones's charged but we all know...aint gonna happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn6HoKg-koI

Last edited:

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
The kid didn't know the correct procedure to follow when security "discovered" the package. It was his cue to start haggling over the price they would accept. He got aggro (understandably) and it became a police matter. Perhaps the department of immigration should include such advice on their 'smarttravellers' website.

Steve Rossell

Apr 18, 2015
It should be noted that this was part of a police operation 'show of force' to Australian 'schoolies' that Bali police weren't going to tolerate excess drinking and drugs.
It should also be noted that the video was shot by an Australian cameraman from the commercial national tv broadcaster Channel 9 Network. He was obviously there with a journalist and 'embedded' in the police operation.
Guilty or not, there seems a whole lot of explaining to come but one thing is for sure and that is it will certainly make some Oz schoolies think 2wice about getting too loose.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've actually started telling anyone that visits Bali to make sure not to bring any drugs at all.

I know a stupid thing to say but the west has gotten pretty lax about them and I've heard more than one story of someone coming from a going away party in the US with a joint in their shirt pocket only to discover it again in the Singapore Customs lineup.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
It should also be noted that the video was shot by an Australian cameraman from the commercial national tv broadcaster Channel 9 Network. He was obviously there with a journalist and 'embedded' in the police operation.

I am not saying you are wrong but how can you be so sure of that? Maybe Channel 9 bought the footage and then added the watermark?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
The kid is in the shiit whether he is guilty or innocent unfortunately. I know channel 9 did have film crew in Bali covering the Sarah Connor trial. They did a story recently on retirees in Bali.

It could be a set up. At least according the report in the news he said he bought it from someone in the street. They are testing the drugs now.

He will be held at Polda (in the offices) for now while they investigate. After a few days they get transferred to another holding cell still at Polda and from all accounts it is pretty horrible conditions and people actually look forward to getting moved to Kerobokan.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
According to reports, which I haven't yet had the time to substantiate, he was free of drugs from blood and urine tests and the bag contained crushed paracetamel!!!

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
According to reports, which I haven't yet had the time to substantiate, he was free of drugs from blood and urine tests and the bag contained crushed paracetamel!!!

Well, I hope so for his sake. Which reports are you talking about?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
wtf, really.

[FONT=&quot]Management from the nightclub confirmed in a statement that video of authorities discovering the white powder was in fact a reenactment.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Our security were ordered to re-enact the sequence of events that transpired; at this time news media were already stationed and filmed the re-enactment,” the nightclub said in a statement. [/FONT]

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
So here is what I think happened.

The police tried to set him up. The police got caught slipping the "drugs" into his bag on camera. The police save face by saying the package contains Paracetamol and the teenager is free to return home.

Or, the teenager really bought drugs on the street and was lucky to be ripped of by the drug dealer and be given a bag of fake drugs.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
I've actually started telling anyone that visits Bali to make sure not to bring any drugs at all.

I know a stupid thing to say but the west has gotten pretty lax about them and I've heard more than one story of someone coming from a going away party in the US with a joint in their shirt pocket only to discover it again in the Singapore Customs lineup.

They don't bring drugs with them. Every 2 mins in Kuta they get offered drugs which more than likely are fake.
A quick way to make good money for the locals.

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
What a coincidence Channel 9 happened to be there.
I think what happened was he was offered cocaine and bought it thinking oh yes party time .
Cops knew he bought them so did ch9 they don't care it makes a good story for Australian tv and gets the cops the warning and publicity they want
Everyone wins (except the poor teenage kid)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
They don't bring drugs with them. Every 2 mins in Kuta they get offered drugs which more than likely are fake.
A quick way to make good money for the locals.

They don't "knowingly" bring drugs. "Knowingly" being the operative wording here, my friend.

My friend said she smelled something funny in her handbag when she was waiting at Singapore customs looking for her passport. One can only imagine the icy fingers of terror going down her back when she saw the dooby next to the passport in her bag...

BestofBali

Nov 9, 2016
Kerobokan
Regardless if it was planted or not, it would be a pretty terrible expirence. What was he doing with pain killers crushed up anyway?! lol

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Here is the full statement regarding the incident from Sky Garden Management, for what it's worth.

15107426_1318482761547629_616937985647615852_n.jpg

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I'm told paracetamol crushed up look and taste a little like cocaine.

Guess who's just the happiest bunny in the world that he got ripped off?

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
As a fan of the party strip, I sincerely hope this episode gives the place the good shake up it has needed for a very long time.

Granted half the school leavers are over 18 now with the change in year/grade eligibility but parents that knowingly let their underage kids head to Bali unsupervised to get blotto - seriously, wtf are these lunatics thinking? Individually they are short-fused disrespectful punks (too much UFC???) but a whole lot of em at one is always gunna be a recipe for disaster.

The loiterer's really sh*t me, whether its the drug peddlers, transport touts, tranny kerb crawlers, local teens sippin arak with a mortgage on the limited sidewalk or worst of all the predatory cockroaches that turn up to pickpocket the pissed. Things have improved a little on this front in recent times but a few remain. Their only reason for being present is to get up to mischief so whether its the cops or the pecalang, unless they are there to patronize the venues they should move the parasites on.

The security staff need a serious attitude readjustment, especially at a couple of the more popular establishments. A surlier bunch of pricks you've never met and they often incite the trouble they're there to protect against. Sure enough they are dealing with some highly strung customers and it isn't an easy job (nor particularly well paying I'd imagine) but a bit of professionalism wouldn't hurt and some of the things I have witnessed are truly shocking. Apparently a lot of the security these days are timorese and frighteningly savage. Sometimes it feels like the lunatics are running the asylum.

Sorry for the rant but whether you love it or hate it, Bali's (once) carefree nightlife is one of the things that make the place so special. It would be nice if they could recover how things 'used to be' on the party strip. At the very least this kid has learnt a valuable lesson.

Last edited: