spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Thought this article might be of interest to any Australians considering marrying a foreigner and planning to live in Australia: Is the government ripping off Australians with foreign partners? | SBS Life

“If there’s any place where they shouldn’t be trying to gouge out an immigration fee, it’s when an Australian wants their loved one to live here,” he said. “It affects an Australian’s right to be with their partner… they’re taking advantage of people’s relationships.”

“A more appropriate one to crank would be business visas,” Mr Bentley says.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
What a load of bullshiit, this is a advertisement for a agent. My advise is to do it without any agent, my wife's visa was a walk in the park, all done in under 3 months. The amount you pay covers free Medicare, TAFE English course, free training for job. My friend went with a agent after $35,000 she is still not in Australia, I think he has stuffed it, he has been given the runaround by the agent.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
They seem to be government fees (not an agent). I would have been surprised if an SBS journo was promoting some expensive agent.

I just went to https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Visa-1 and answered some questions as shown. and got "from $6,865.

Estimate the cost of your visa
What visa are you applying for?
Partner
What date will you be lodging your application?
01/07/2016
How many additional applicants will be 18 years of age or older when you lodge your application?
How many additional applicants will be younger than 18 years of age when you lodge your application?
Please select a currency you would like the price displayed in? * Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
Get Estimate
To add an additional applicant to a lodged but yet undecided visa application please refer to form 1436 and the Visa Pricing Table.
Price starts from AUD 6,865.00

This document is based on lodgement date on 09.06.2016 Australian Eastern Standard/Daylight Time.
For information about payment options, go to How to pay
How this price is calculated
Product Quantity Price
BC100 Partner - First stage UF309 1 6,865.00
GST 0.00
Total AUD 6,865.00

Aren't the generous making it free of GST? :)

THe graph in the article shows the increased fees began in 2012 with the biggest increase in 2014. That increase would have been in the first budget of the Abbot government.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
$7000 to bring your wife to australia seems fair, I think England works on how much you earn. You need to earn X to bring your wife in ++ and then you have to earn a extra $10,000 per year for each child. So if you are retired and wish to take you Indonesian back to England forget it you don't make enough money.
I think lots of countries a cracking down on marriage of convenience.
"Mr Bentley said the increase in prices has meant that more people are preparing applications without a representative or lawyer, leading to increased rejection rates and more work for the immigration department". If you you need a representative or lawyer to apply for a visa there is something wrong.

modelt1826

Apr 25, 2010
Wilverhampton UK
I think my friend last year paid for a spouse visa was around £1200.00 but that is only for two years then you have to apply for indefinate leave which is around the same price. To get indefinate leave there has to be an exam taken life in Britain or a recognised English course. To get citizenship with passport again around the same price.