balinews

Feb 14, 2010
An Australian man living in Bali was found dead on Friday morning at his residence on Jl. Tungak Bingin Blok H No. 2 in Sanur, Denpasar. The body of the 64-year-old man, identified as Alistair Robert Hugh Frowde, was found floating in his swimming pool. South Denpasar Police chief Comr. Nanang Prihasmoko said Frowde’s body was found by his wife at around 5 a.m. on Friday.

“His wife realized that he was not in bed when she woke up. The man was apparently found floating in his swimming pool,” Nanang said.

Nanang said the police’s preliminary investigation showed no signs of violence prior to Frowde’s death. He said the victim had likely experienced cramps or a heart attack, which led to his death. Frowde’s body was taken to the Sanglah Hospital morgue for an autopsy.

- See more at: Islands in focus: Australian found dead in Bali | The Jakarta Post

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I thought bodies only floated in water after quite a long time. Is this not the case?

In retrospect I guess you can "float" at the bottom of the pool too...?

P

paulseawind

I thought bodies only floated in water after quite a long time. Is this not the case?

In retrospect I guess you can "float" at the bottom of the pool too...?

No, it's true in fresh water that it sinks quickly. The human body is slightly heavier than water. After some submerged time, the bacterial activity distends the body and it rises, due to gases forming inside the body cavities. Next time you are in water, float on your back and breath in. Notice how buoyant you are. Then let the air out slowly and notice yourself sinking, bum first. Breath back in and you will rise again. If you are dead you cannot breath back in, so you sink. I used to play this game with myself. Breath in and float. Breath out and sink. Interesting stuff for a minute or two.

The dead body will sink at pretty much the location of the death.

When it rises it becomes subject to the current of the surface water, if there is one, and is transported.

Polisi will know all this already thru experience. If he was floating there might have been foul play and a time lag. Or he was wearing floaties on all 4 limbs.