Australian man allegedly killed by brother in law

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Police say an Australian man was killed in a violent altercation with his Indonesian brother-in-law while they were drinking together in South Kuta.

Perth resident Troy Johnston, 40, met up with his brother-in-law I Gede Wijaya at a café owned by the suspect early on Thursday morning. Police said Wijaya and Johnston drank arak (traditional liquor) together until the victim became inebriated.

“He peed on my left leg. He was drunk, he had lost control. I tried to tell him to cut it out. But he went inside and threw glass cups at me,” Wijaya told reporters as he was presented in a press conference at the South Kuta Police HQ today.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Gee, another cultural misunderstanding. “He peed on my left leg. He was drunk, he had lost control. I tried to tell him to cut it out. But he went inside and threw glass cups at me,” Wijaya told reporters .."

In Australia we call that mateship. Quite normal behaviour.
Exactly. Here is a report from "ozzy man reviews". Age restricted due to language!

Reactions: spicyayam

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Police say an Australian man was killed in a violent altercation with his Indonesian brother-in-law while they were drinking together in South Kuta.
Other sources indicate there was no family relation between the unfortunate Australian and the Balinese cafe owner. Wife appears to be from Lombok.

kevibruy

Dec 31, 2021
Oh, what a tragic and unexpected turn of events! It's sad to hear about the unfortunate altercation that occurred between Troy Johnston and his brother-in-law I Gede Wijaya. It's a reminder of how important it is to drink responsibly and avoid any situations that could escalate into violence.
On a lighter note, I must admit that I'm intrigued by the idea of them sharing a drink together. It's fascinating how different cultures can bond over a traditional beverage like arak. However, it's crucial to always know our limits and maintain control while indulging in any alcoholic drinks.
Let's take this as a reminder to cherish our friendships and be considerate of one another's feelings, even when under the influence. Drinks mate can create wonderful memories, but it's vital to ensure that everyone remains safe and respectful throughout the gathering.
Here's to hoping that such incidents can be avoided in the future through understanding and communication among friends and family. Let's raise our glasses to celebrate life, but also to remind ourselves to cherish our loved ones and cherish every moment we have together! Cheers!

Perth resident Troy Johnston, 40, met up with his brother-in-law I Gede Wijaya at a café owned by the suspect early on Thursday morning. Police said Wijaya and Johnston drank arak (traditional liquor) together until the victim became inebriated.

“He peed on my left leg. He was drunk, he had lost control. I tried to tell him to cut it out. But he went inside and threw glass cups at me,” Wijaya told reporters as he was presented in a press conference at the South Kuta Police HQ today.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
Update 2 days ago. No mention of the killer being a "brother-in-law".

"Prosecutors have charged I Gede Wijaya with homicide, carrying a maximum criminal penalty of 15 years imprisonment, or with homicidal assault resulting in 7 years in prison".

Last edited: