balinews

Feb 14, 2010
The Australian government is lodging an official complaint with Indonesia about the treatment of death-row citizens Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.

Photographs emerged on Thursday of a senior Indonesian police official posing with the two men aboard the plane that flew them to Cilacap the previous day, amid expectations Chan and Sukumaran will be told their execution date “in a few days”.

In the pictures, published by Indonesian news outlet Tribun News, senior commissioner Djoko Hari Utomo is shown interacting with Chan and Sukumaran surrounded by paramilitary officers in balaclavas and helmets.

Guardian Australia understands the Australian government’s complaint will include the issue of the photographs but also the show of force surrounding the transfer of the men to the prison island.

500.jpg

Australia complains to Indonesia about treatment of Bali Nine pair | World news | The Guardian

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Given the execution of those 9 foreigners 'in a few days'.....I would hate to be an Indonesian citizen, on death row, in another country.
Also, if I were an Indonesian citizen working or studying in Australia, and not fully in compliance with Australian law...I'd have a plan B.

Last edited:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I bet you the Indonesian prisoners in jail in Australia are happy the prisoner exchange plan fell through.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I bet you the Indonesian prisoners in jail in Australia are happy the prisoner exchange plan fell through.

A good thought spicy...maybe a better negotiation would have been to threaten to send all Indonesians incarcerated in Australia back to RI.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013

Really? I suppose it depends it they're rich or not. I've read that prison life for the those with money is pretty sweet in Indonesia.

Looking at photos of the 2 condemned, they both look to be in pretty rude health.

I know this is flippant but if I had to choose, I think I rather be in jail in Bali than Australia. I reckon I'd get bashed, and possibly more, in an Aussie jail.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I still cannot fathom the logic of all this expense to achieve nothing.

I never heard of any problem with those 2 Australians before Jokowi decided to execute them. They haven't been in the drug system for years, and had nothing to do with drugs entering Indonesia. Other people the police have never found brought them in from Thailand.

Also, the policy during their incarceration, according to the warden of Kerobokan penitentiary, has been based on rehabilitation....which they apparently achieved.

IMO...The Indonesian State will pay heavily if they are executed.....the use of those troops/police/charter a/c/ferries/fighter a/c...and future repercussions. Those bullets will ultimately be the most expensive items on the RI budget. I hope Indonesians remember that when the cost is made transparent...if ever!

Indonesia paid Saudi? US$2.3 miliion to release a maid that committed murder...I guess the price just went up.

G

Gurkha

Given the execution of those 9 foreigners 'in a few days'.....I would hate to be an Indonesian citizen, on death row, in another country.
Also, if I were an Indonesian citizen working or studying in Australia, and not fully in compliance with Australian law...I'd have a plan B.

I dont think there are many Indonesian student who can get as far as B, plan or otherwise