balinews

Feb 14, 2010
Australia will withdraw its ambassador to Indonesia in protest at the “cruel and unnecessary” execution of two citizens on Wednesday.

The prime minister, Tony Abbott, announced the decision hours after Indonesia proceeded with the firing-squad execution of the Australians Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan and six other people for drug offences.

The ambassador, Paul Grigson, will leave Jakarta this week in a form of protest Australia did not adopt after several previous cases of citizens facing the death penalty.

The foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, said the recall was intended “to register our displeasure at the way our citizens have been treated”. She said the government would consult Grigson on the way forward for relations between the two countries in the longer term.

Abbott said ministerial contacts between the two countries had been suspended “and they will remain suspended for a period”.

Bali Nine executions: Tony Abbott to recall Australia's ambassador to Indonesia | World news | The Guardian

davita

Mar 13, 2012
'No worries...he'll be back'....as ozzies might say...:icon_e_biggrin:

After all...Prime Minister Abe of Japan is currently dining in the White House and Chancellor Merkel visited the Queen in Buckingham Palace last year.

In politico parlance and ethics........'All's well that ends well'.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
In this case the ambassador needs to be 'consulted'.
IMO it's a bit like a kid with a ball...if he isn't allowed to play he takes his ball home.
What can be done...no-one is going to tamper with trade etc......so what is left.
I noticed that SBY cancelled his trip to make a speech in Perth so doubt the RI President will speak at any Australian event.
The next event hosted in Indonesia might show something; or any event held elsewhere where the RI President speaks, but there are limits to available repercussion.
In the old days some retaliation would be declared but there is now western apathy to have conflict....however, an old saying is....'if you have power and don't use it....you lose it'

btw the N Korean leader just executed 15 senior gov't officials for complaining about his gov't....:icon_eek:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Unfortunately for Aussie they can't do F all as the relationship is to important for them.

It worth more to Aussie than it is to Indonesia.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Unfortunately for Aussie they can't do F all as the relationship is to important for them.

It worth more to Aussie than it is to Indonesia.

On the contrary, Indonesian trade is worth F all in the grand scheme of things, only about 2% of Australian exports and Indonesia is around $2 billion better off in the relationship in trading terms. Indonesia would be a LOT worse off if both countries headed their separate ways (not that Indonesian pride would ever admit to this nor is it ever likely to happen anyway). There could be whole lot of very hungry Indonesian tummies in the short term though....Anyone for bakso or mie goreng??? Indonesia's strongest bargaining chip is the quarter of a billion people just over the ditch.

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
You guys are focusing on just the trade.

I am talking about the whole relationship.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You guys are focusing on just the trade.

I am talking about the whole relationship.

What relationship...care to clarify.

Surely you didn't mean the relationship where Indonesia is giving free VOA to just about every other country, excluding Australia. Or the one that compels refugees to be holed-up in Indonesia because Australia will not accept them, even tho' Australia signed the 1951 Convention for Refugees, which Indonesia still hasn't ratified. Or the one where Australia spied on SBY and his wife. Or where Australia keeps Indonesian boat boys in adult jail. Or where President Widodo didn't accept phone calls from PM Abbott but did from Manny Pacquiao. Or where an Indonesian born developer is marketing a luxury apartment block in Sydney to only rich Indonesian investors. Or the Uni in Perth that has created controversial scholarships for Indonesian students.....named after the Bali 2.

pheww...great friends indeed.:couple_inlove:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
In my post #5 I say "It worth more to Aussie than it is to Indonesia."

What I should of said is "In my opinion it is worth more to Aussie than it is to Indonesia".

And I really do believe it. You may disagree but I think Australia is letting its actions speak for them. So is Indonesia how this whole circus act unfolded.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Rangi,

So can you please iterate for me as an Australian, exactly what what benefits there are to me for a lovey dovey relationship with Indonesia? Cos I'm sorry but (aside from my personal affection for the place and (some) of its people) as an Australian Indonesia is nothing but an irresponsible, immature and arrogant pain in the arse who we (I believe) foolishly pander to far too much if nothing else than to be the 'bigger man' and maintain standing amongst the greater Asian region. Like I alluded to before, about the only positive in the relationship that Indonesia brings to the table is their reluctance to migrate in big numbers and a few cheap singlets.

Last edited:

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Adam

I respect you as a member here and although I don't always agree with you, I can usually at least see where you are coming from. That is why I am a little bit dissapointed in that last post. Because if you disagreed with me, I thought at least you would post something that I at least had to think about, because you seem a lot more smarter than that to really believe that your last post really sums up the depth of the relationship between the 2 countries.

Indonesia and Australia's "relationship" runs much much deeper than that. I don't even claim to know exactly how much the rely on each other, and as Im not Australian, I dont even really care that much.

I will give you one example. Shipping Routes.

A lot of Australia's shipping routes pass through Indonesian Waters. So if Australia was to abandon there co-operation with Indonesia and Indonesia was to say, "ok then, no more of your trading ships can pass through our waters", it would be a logistical nightmare for Australia. Now im not saying Australia would be brought to their knees, but it would significantly effect trading ships coming to and from Australia.

This is just one example. If you disagree with me, thats no problem for me as it would be boring if we all had the same opinion, but please at least take a bit more of a look.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I will give you one example. Shipping Routes.

A lot of Australia's shipping routes pass through Indonesian Waters. So if Australia was to abandon there co-operation with Indonesia and Indonesia was to say, "ok then, no more of your trading ships can pass through our waters", it would be a logistical nightmare for Australia. Now im not saying Australia would be brought to their knees, but it would significantly effect trading ships coming to and from Australia.

Everyone has an opinion and that should be respected. In mine I try to use (IMO) so that readers understand it is just that. However, where possible, backing an opinion with some reference gives said opinion greater weight.

i.e. Shipping routes
Maritime law is very old and 'Freedom of the Seas' is well documented. The more recent 'UN Convention of the Law of the Sea' covers who and what can traverse Territorial Waters. It is a boring subject but Article 17 lays out the 'Right of Innocent Passage'.
Link:- UNITED NATIONS CONVENTION ON THE LAW OF THE SEA

If Indonesia, or any country, unilaterally denies such passage it can trigger a state of war....which has occurred in the past.

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Indonesia would be shaking in its boots at the thought of Australia going to war with them. . .

Im only saying thats a possibility if Aussie went far with their retaliation which they are not, not just for no reason

Last edited:

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Good evening Rangi,

My apologies if you interpreted my post as inflammatory, I was not trying to be a smart arse just sum up the actual feelings of the everyday Aussie, here in WA at least. Indonesia and Australia's relationship with them, in the recent past seems to be behaving not a whole lot different to niggle that occured between Australia and Malaysia under the leadership of Dr Mahatir Mohammad and Paul Keating. Most of it was infantile bulldust and just a clash of ego's. It amounted to nothing and is a thing of the past.

Me, personally, couldn't give a rats arse and it is a shame that all this ruckus has been caused by a couple of death dealers that Indonesia was well within their right to bump off and should have done a long, long time ago. I do believe however Indonesia has an ego and self pride well in excess of their ability and achievement which is is a shame because it stymies a lot of progress and International respect. Australia on the other hand suffers a bit of USA syndrome and tries way too hard to be politically correct and the moral guardians of SE Asia. There's fault on both sides.

Last edited:
G

Gurkha

. If the Indons have to eat Indian water buffalos instead of Aus beef, if Indon businesses suffer, if Australia withdraws aid and grants, if Indons stop eating vegemite and buying Aus real estate - Who actually cares, I don't!