Australia becoming more strict with traveling overseas

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
It looks like it could be a while before we can travel freely

Australians living overseas say a federal government rule change that could see them trapped if they return to visit family and friends might force many to abandon trips altogether.

Expats living abroad have told Guardian Australia they fear that could mean missing out on farewelling elderly relatives.

“The thing that is most cruel about this is that you’re asking people to choose between being able to see their family in Australia for the last time and possibly losing their right to live and work with other loved ones wherever they’re now living,” US-based Australian Erin Gregor said.

• Angry
Reactions: matsaleh

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Well hello, what did you expect if you went back there? They want you to come back, so then they have you by the Balls! and make you stay and spend all your money there. If you leave then that is lost revenue! This so called Crisis is a great way for the rich and powerful to control you more and more! They make everyone the sacrificial lamb so they get away with paying zero taxes and screwing the poor. Welcome to the real world!

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
The soldiers are only doing well fair checks, no policing.
The idea of someone coming to Australia for 6 week visit has to stop. Its taking away places for people how want to return.
I am hoping around February things will clear a bit and allow people to home quarantine .

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
The soldiers are only doing well fair checks, no policing.
The idea of someone coming to Australia for 6 week visit has to stop.
Or the government needs to realise their failed hotel quarantine system is why covid is taking off there now, but above and beyond all that why on earth would anyone in their right mind want to visit Australia under the current conditions!?!
Its taking away places for people how want to return. They need to increase the arrivals cap and reconnect to the world
I am hoping around February things will clear a bit and allow people to home quarantine .

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Must be lots as Australia is doing a flight from Denpasar to Darwin this month.

If I understand it right its got no choice other than Darwin due to number of people on flight and arrivals cap and they are only city with facility to deal with this. I think yet to be approved at the Indonesian end too. It's certainly frustrating I'd love to see my family and friends, but it's not worth the logistical nightmare potentially getting caught in a lockdown and maybe stuck there to me. So I won't be one of the "6 weekers" however if someone wants to go for 6 weeks and can fund it I don't see the issue. Just as entitled as someone who wants to go back to live IMO.

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Hey I would love to go to Indonesia but now that I have lost my Kitap I can't go. I would love to stay at Howard spring. I hope that we will get a bit more freedom if you get the jab. lockdown is really no different to my normal week, go to work , don't wear a mask because its not safe to use a mask with my safety glasses, still go shopping for food and save more money (spending more in Indonesia).

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Hey I would love to go to Indonesia but now that I have lost my Kitap I can't go. I would love to stay at Howard spring. I hope that we will get a bit more freedom if you get the jab. lockdown is really no different to my normal week, go to work , don't wear a mask because its not safe to use a mask with my safety glasses, still go shopping for food and save more money (spending more in Indonesia).

Let's hope you get back here soon. Conditions are difficult worldwide for many right now. All these differences in opinion about vaccines and all that I rather don't touch the whole topic nowdays to be honest. I wish you the best in your endeavors and same to anyone else reading this.

Reactions: Fred2

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Oh man! Can’t you all relax a little. As long as you are safe and sound, Don’t worry! Everyone in the western world are OK, without you coming back there. It is not the time now to go there and spend a fortune on quarantine and the horrendous time and effort to get there. don’t candy coat what the authorities are doing. They are not your friends right now. Open your eyes and see this. It is just the way of the dark forces doing what they have done for centuries to keep us oppressed . Don’t feed them with your fear. That’s exactly what they want! Stay strong and speak the truth!

Reactions: PERtoDPS

Juggler

Jun 20, 2018
Personally there is NO WAY i travel anywhere as long as this B.S. last.
Not going through any of this hassle.
And if it means spend the rest of my days in Bali, so be it.
Yep agree!!!
there are far worse places to spend the rest of our days

Reactions: Balifrog

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
I would be hating it if I was stuck in Australia. So glad I have been in Bali during the pandemic. I will be sad when tourists can come back again.

Reactions: tel522

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
Yes, how terrible it will be that your paradise is lost when most of the Balinese get their livelihoods back.
Hi Adam, your right about that the Folks here will get their livelihood back when the faucets open again. But is that really a good thing to be dependent on the money from foreigners? I have talked to many locals here, and they seem to be lost without tourist dollars. I think to myself, where is the Bali people working and helping each other? I ask about this and they say ,No way will they help or open their lives to benefit others! It’s all me, me and mine. So they go on and on, trapped in the same bubble of selfishness and greed. Remember when Canngu was just a beach! Remember when above Ubud it was all rice fields! Look at what happened because of greed and the never ending lust for more and more. This crisis was a good wake up call for everyone to change the sama sama attitude, but that, it seems will never happen. So bring the money train on! And watch what happens.

Reactions: PERtoDPS and Fred2

Rangi

May 23, 2011
Legian
Yes, how terrible it will be that your paradise is lost when most of the Balinese get their livelihoods back.

Yes it is a shame. But I have to be honest, this last year and a half in Bali have been great. I will be happy for the people back in work, but personally Bali has been a much nicer place lately in my opinion.

Reactions: JackStraw

harryopal

May 5, 2016
Coming to live in Bali is a bit like getting married "for better or worse". Or at least theoretically. If the marriage doesn't work out you can get a divorce and if Bali gets a whole lot worse we can always leave. (Or at least we can leave when the lockdowns end.)