balinews

Feb 14, 2010
LOVE it or hate it, Australians are buying land in Bali and other far-flung Indonesian islands to build villas and resorts - but it's not a venture for the faint-hearted. Take Alan Sinclair.

The Queensland project manager reckons the value of land in Nusa Lembongan, 30 minutes by speedboat off Bali's east coast, has risen 800 per cent in a decade.

Even though the island had no power, sewage or running water, Sinclair took the unprecedented step of developing a luxury villa resort in 2004 - Nusa Lembongan's first and still one of its most luxurious.

"People thought we were stupid, but we were the pioneers of Lembongan," says Sinclair. "We were only ever going to build two villas, but now we have 23 villas and our own four-bed villa."

Sinclair cut his teeth in project management building Noosa's prestige French Quarter residential development in Hastings Street and admits development in Indonesia is not always easy - the resort lost money in its first three years.

But with its six swimming pools, outdoor restaurants and cafes carved into a steep coral hillside overlooking the ocean and Mount Agung in the distance, the resort, called Batu Karang, draws West Australian surfers and is starting to attract Indonesia's middle class. Word of mouth has spread to Sydney and Melbourne. Now that business is booming, Sinclair wants to add another eight villas. "We have land next door, we will wait and see."

Australians continue to buy land on Nusa Lembongan, which has an estimated population of 5000 - and in recent years have picked up coastal sites for a song because the locals believe the poor live on the waterfront. They are happy to sell their coastal land to foreigners and move inland.

Sinclair says Flores, in the Lesser Sunda Islands, is the next place for development, including land banking (where investors amass sites in the hope of selling them at huge profits years down the track), in the Indonesian archipelago to take off. Closer to Bali, the island of Sumba also appeals to Australian land bankers but the Indonesian government is discouraging the practice and will soon mandate land buyers must start building within a specified period.

On remote Sumba Island, beachfront land sells for about $US3 per square metre. On Flores near Labuan Bajo, land costs $US30 to $US60 per square metre.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Interesting.

Are these current price estimates ?

How are these Aussies owning these plots ?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Yes I think you could find those prices. $3 per sq metre is $300 per are, or $3,000 for a 10 are plot to build a house on. That's about Rp36,000,000 - enough to buy more than 2 motorbikes. But the land my have no view, no services, poor road access, etc

Ownership - a common approach is to have an Indonesian "nominee" to own the land, then complete contracts with the nominee to give you long lease, allow you to do anything, allow you to on-sell, etc. Search this forum with the word nominee

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Yes I think you could find those prices. $3 per sq metre is $300 per are, or $3,000 for a 10 are plot to build a house on. That's about Rp36,000,000 - enough to buy more than 2 motorbikes. But the land my have no view, no services, poor road access, etc

Ownership - a common approach is to have an Indonesian "nominee" to own the land, then complete contracts with the nominee to give you long lease, allow you to do anything, allow you to on-sell, etc. Search this forum with the word nominee

What happens if the nominee is not around in 25/30 years time ? Walk away ?

What is the longest legal term permitted for a lease ?

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
Yes...that is what an informative Indonesian forum is for....cheers

That's true.... and if you care to look that basic question has been answered in the forum... frequently. It has been diced, sliced, analysed, picked at, layered on top of a nominee deal... and the answer always comes out the same.

42... that's not the answer to your question but the answer to the question of The Meaning of Life ... for your answer a modicum of on forum research is required - we all went through it, nothing personal

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
[QUOTE...oh goody...should I fake my organisms?[/QUOTE]

I have a funny feeling you could be my ex wife!

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
What a load of bullshiit, Why not just come out & tell us the name of your real estate business.
If you build a luxury villa with me for $3mil usd, i can rent it out for you $1200 usd per night, come in spinner.
This hole story is just hard to believe.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What a load of bullshiit, Why not just come out & tell us the name of your real estate business.
If you build a luxury villa with me for $3mil usd, i can rent it out for you $1200 usd per night, come in spinner.
This hole story is just hard to believe.

Thanks Fred2 you've managed to take this mildly amusing thread off into Twilight-zone country. I had (admittedly already half in that zone anyway) to reload this fecking idiot page 3 times and re-read it because I came completely adrift with your contribution.

Please explain if you are writing from the show where the alien climbs up/down the light beam to invade Earth or where the slimy thing crawls out of the girl's nostril to eat everyone's brain.

Expect an answer before the Johnny Walker is gone.