begonia

Oct 10, 2007
Any of you have any idea what is going on with the Ubud market? I have been away for almost four months and I am still shock to see the market is still the same and nobody repair it!!
If I am not wrong probably has been already one year since got fire isn't it? how come they don't do anything? been Ubud and the market one of the most important tourist places on Bali, it seems like local government or local people don't really care or what. They are not ashamed to have the market like that? maybe not, many locals still thinking always will be tourist.........
I am not talking about tourists, I am talking about the 100 or more sellers who are piled downstairs like sardines, has not spaces, or got a very tiny space to put their things and have to take them away every day, the rainy season has start already and probably they are getting wet.
It is not about tourists, it is about their own people, local people who try to make a living and have a income and probably pay rent or taxes for having a place to sell things.
Ubud doesn't have money? the government doesn't have money, the palace doesn't have money? Monkey Forrest doesn't get enough money to spend in Ubud? where all the millions of the entrance tickets goes? is about nobody knows who has to repair it or take care of? or what? is too difficult to paint it and repair it? it was quite new.
For me it is shocking the market still empty, ugly, broken and totally black and nobody really care about that. It is so sad that the people who has power or money don't care at all about the others Balines who fight daily to get a income, and it is sad that those people has not initiative to fight for their rights if they have any.
Maybe there is something on the back I don't see, why for me it is so annoying to see the market abandon like this and for them it is ok, tidak apa.
To me it is seems like in Ubud people are more and more on business and less and less on community.................maybe they are too busy building villas and homestays with swimming pools behind their houses and built up hotels everywhere.....Ubud is changing so quick, fancy mini hotels with attach rooms sitting on the entrance of the room looking at a swimming pool, of course, clean, perfect, pure and modern but without "spirit or charging",one could be in Kuta, Puket or another country on the world...........before, the home stays in ubud you was sitting down on the door of your rooms and you have frangipani, trees, plants, statues, beautiful gardens, small things with water or see the local families doing their offerings or their things......
Better to stop, enough for one day!!
Sorry, maybe I needed to speak out!!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Yeah I saw that too - but am not surprised.

Ubud is a hell hole during the day and I've been whinging about the sidewalks forever - how can a city that has soooo many tourists and makes sooooo much dosh from them not be able to afford safe and well maintained sidewalks? You can always tell the tourists that have been to Ubud by their bandaged legs.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
Its not only Ubud,the same applies to the majority of bali,I could take you to areas on sanur where the man hole covers in the side walks have been missing since 2006,now combine that with a power cut when tourists are walking around the streets at night and it spells disaster,would take a lot more than bandages to repair the injuries they could receive,its just the typical Bali thing if not Indonesian thing of take ,take ,take all the $$$ they can get and put absolutely nothing back into the Island,ooh I appologise yeah I forgot that's its the tourists fault that man hole covers are broken or missing in the first place,too many tourists ,and then many of you wonder a little while ago when the South African guy called the place a s**t hole,

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Having just been in Sanur, I thought the footpaths (or sidewalks) were pretty good in comparison with other places. Ubud yes, is a nightmare. If you have kids and try pushing around a stroller you will know. Possibly one of the least wheelchair friendly places in the world.

There's a nice recently built adventure park/restaurant near Aling Aling waterfall. You go across a suspension bridge and then then need to cross another small creek which has stepping stones across the water. I know it's not difficult to cross but if you have a pram or are with someone who is not so mobile, it's difficult to get to the restaurant. I am not sure what people are thinking when they build these otherwise very nice places.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Missing manhole covers on the sidewalks in Bali can and do kill. I remember one of their victims, the English anthropologist, author, explorer, and filmmaker, Lorne Blare, whom I had the privilege of having met several times at his house, in Pengosekan. He passed away in a hospital, in Denpasar, some twenty one years ago, in 1985, just 3 weeks before his 50th birthday. He had broken his leg by falling in a manhole on a sidewalk in Legian. After couple of days in the hospital, upon being discharged, he went to an ATM to get some money to pay for his hospital stay. Upon returning to the hospital to take care of the bill, he collapsed of an emboli or a heart attack. The rumor then was that the doctor(s) who treated him for his broken leg had forgotten to give him the heparin shots, which are part of the protocol in the case of a broken member!

Last edited:

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
The footpaths on the main Sanur streets have greatly improved, however there are still many open drains waiting for the unwary to fall into.

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
What about Ubud's market? Anybody hear anything about why they don't repair it? lack of budget? lack of know who has to do it? lack of time? lack of people? not need it? sorry sorry, it is just me, trying to understand always everything and be logic!!! sometimes I hate this part of me! and wish not feel anything, like many people in this country.
Ubud it is one of the most touristic places in Bali and the second one in Ubud, after Monkey Forrest.
Why nobody seems affected? it is the same situation like when I wonder how local people don't think or feel the same in front somethings dirty, broken or fail apart?
I could live my entire life here that I will never feel the same like them, sometimes I wish I could be like that........hahaha after all, the only one suffering it is me!
They are always happy!

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
Having just been in Sanur, I thought the footpaths (or sidewalks) were pretty good in comparison with other places. Ubud yes, is a nightmare. If you have kids and try pushing around a stroller you will know. Possibly one of the least wheelchair friendly places in the world.

There's a nice recently built adventure park/restaurant near Aling Aling waterfall. You go across a suspension bridge and then then need to cross another small creek which has stepping stones across the water. I know it's not difficult to cross but if you have a pram or are with someone who is not so mobile, it's difficult to get to the restaurant. I am not sure what people are thinking when they build these otherwise very nice places.

I agree Sanur footpaths were pretty good even on both sides of the street in comparison to the other places i have just visited.
Ubud was poor although Markit actually did admit he enjoyed Ubud and it was quiet yes quiet that was on a Sunday.
Candi Dasa footpaths were average but then again not many people walk on them.
Worst were Batu Belig and the sad thing is they are 50% done its new and good for 10 mtrs then holes for 10 mtrs re occurring.