Anybody Finding Stinky Water In Plastic Containers?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Recently the 600 ml. plastic water bottles I have been buying contain a chemical taste and wonder why. Having found this in 2 different brands wonder if the water was just old or in heated storage areas prior to buying. It has happened on different occasions in the last couple weeks, and have read in the past about the danger from the chemicals leaching in plastic containers. Trying different sellers and brands didn't solve the problem, and would appreciate input if others know the cause?
Thanks

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Don't know but I have always been suspicious about these bottled water supplies. I currently live in Seminyak and my drinking water comes from my tap. I boil it and dispense into glass bottles and keep in my fridge. Never had any problems. I wonder if Aqua and all the other bottled water sellers just do the same? And charge you a fortune to drink what comes out of the tap anyway?

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
My partners family has a Warung. She always taught me this: The gallon aqua brand ones, make sure you buy the one with the proper sealed seal, and correct logo, don't buy different brands. Anything that strays from this, is usually at best boiled tap water or possibly a lot worse, which many Indo people buy for a lower price.

The Aqua brand, the real one was "Aqua" stamped on the top of the blue top of the gallon bottles I'm fairly sure.

Sorry OP just re-read about 600ml bottles. Are they properly sealed? I will leave my post up as it's still relevant to water and potentially informative for others.

Last edited:

Loren123

Oct 22, 2020
I've seen this problem then I was visiting India last year. It was really disgusting and it's so unfortunate that local Indians have to live like that. I wish everyone could have fresh, crystal clear water for their daily use.

harryopal

May 5, 2016
I was using a plastic mug on my bedside table as it had a lid so that if I took a sip in the dark I did not swallow a visiting insect or, worse, a cockroach. As I just have a sip sometimes the water in the mug was adequate for a couple of nights. I then found that it began to smell. I replaced the plastic mug with a glass and used a lid but no bad smell if the water remains in the glass.

I imagine there are different grades of plastic but it may be that the smell of stinky water is caused by the plastic container. I haven't found this a problem with the large 19 litre aqua bottles. It seems strange to me that with all the plastic waste, governments don't tax the petroleum companies who produce this toxic stuff to help defray the costs of waste management but perhaps it is because the industries are too big and powerful.