Any New Disgusting Habits or Hobbies?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just wondering if the rest of you have spent the last year well developing that quiet stalking that a peeping Tom can't live without or learning to cook small dogs in a jus from small birds?

I've tried my hand at baking with marginal success at cinnamon rolls, banana bread (staff have so many ceremonies) and complete failure at sour dough. Couldn't get the "starter" to live longer than 24 hours but was mollified when a baker here told me it has to do with the way the Indonesians bleach their flour - too, too much so all the "goody" is washed out.

Then turned my attention to the high cost of sausages and ham here and built my own smoker from a junkyard 4 drawer filing cabinet. That's gone better for my pride but a decided negative for the waistline.

Downside: getting too fat to chase local girls but also too fat to run away very quickly - they are only interested in my wallet so happy days all round.

Reactions: sakumabali

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
Mrs was going to grow a vegetable garden but never really came to be as she is 1/2 here 1/2 in her village these days so I took it over, having some fun growing chillis and other random indo veges and they grow a lot better in the beautiful soil here than the sandpit that is Perth.

Got sick of half arse food from warungs and started to cook a lot more.

Getting fat, yep hear that. My beer consumption always goes up in Bali as there simply isn't that much else to do.

Girls, one indo chick a lifetime is enough for me mate, sure wouldn't be hard to have another but exactly like you say eyes are on the wallet not you.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Mrs was going to grow a vegetable garden but never really came to be

I wouldn't have neither the patience to grow sth getting ravaged by chicken nor eat it IF it's really growing ( I remember I had a huge bush of basil and it was almost a pet ;)) I couldn't eat it)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've got chilli plants dotted around the property that seem to look after themselves so your attention to duty is honorable at best but probably good enough to "guilt" the missus with.

Had basil plants also but they did really well one year and the next got their roots all eaten by something so have tried again in pots but that was only marginally successful. Tried planting cilantro from plants, root (Ubud Bintang store) and from seed but again not much success their either. Was told it's best to grow them from "real" seeds (not coriander spice) in pots and not plants cause those come from higher/cooler climates. Will see.

Luckily I have staff that do all the hard work and that I can blame for all failures. Of course the wife blames me but that is the natural progression isn't it?

PERtoDPS

Dec 31, 2018
I've got chilli plants dotted around the property that seem to look after themselves so your attention to duty is honorable at best but probably good enough to "guilt" the missus with.

Had basil plants also but they did really well one year and the next got their roots all eaten by something so have tried again in pots but that was only marginally successful. Tried planting cilantro from plants, root (Ubud Bintang store) and from seed but again not much success their either. Was told it's best to grow them from "real" seeds (not coriander spice) in pots and not plants cause those come from higher/cooler climates. Will see.

Luckily I have staff that do all the hard work and that I can blame for all failures. Of course the wife blames me but that is the natural progression isn't it?

While it's true the chilli's don't take much work, they do grow much faster if you make the effort to move the pots in the different angles of sunlight throughout the day.

Yes, I do realise I am starting to sound retired :cool:

JackStraw

Mar 14, 2017
Mrs was going to grow a vegetable garden but never really came to be as she is 1/2 here 1/2 in her village these days so I took it over, having some fun growing chillis and other random indo veges and they grow a lot better in the beautiful soil here than the sandpit that is Perth.

Got sick of half arse food from warungs and started to cook a lot more.

Getting fat, yep hear that. My beer consumption always goes up in Bali as there simply isn't that much else to do.

Girls, one indo chick a lifetime is enough for me mate, sure wouldn't be hard to have another but exactly like you say eyes are on the wallet not you.

Wow for people who claim to have lived in Bali for so long, you guys are still so ignorant and jaded towards the women here. Are there millions of gold digging whores salivating over your wallet and waiting for the proper moment to strike? Absolutely!

That being said, there are plenty of nice, normal, none materialistic women here that will never ask for a penny. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

Unfortunately for the older gents, to find one like that, usually means looking for a girl at least in your approximate age range. I was speaking to a divorce attorney here in Bali and he said #1 reason for mixed marriage divorces is the age gap.

Also, I'm sure it helps if you don't find your girl on a sex app or late night at a bar like most of the bule I know here have done.

Anyway, my new hobby has been learning the bass guitar and I love it.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Unfortunately sweeping generalizations miss a lot. Although there is some merit here due to the disparity in wealth between cultures, be careful with these gross assumptions, the subject deserves greater depth in investigation.

Reactions: JackStraw

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Where is the fun in dating a woman your own age? Ask Mick Jagger the last time he felt attracted to a 60 or 70 year old. A younger woman who is attracted to you because you are successful and have plenty of cash is not always a "gold digging whore". Girls don't always fall in love because the man is handsome and has a great personality. In my case of course they do, but I am speaking in general.